Sign in to follow this  
supranatural

Another travel/drive down to FL question regarding CCW

I have a question - in states that recognize CCW permits (I have non resident FL and UT CCW) I know that if I'm carrying I should inform the LEO when pulled over and ID is requested. However, I will be driving from our home state of NJ (which does not recognize my CCWs) to Florida, and in South Carolina, PA, Maryland and DC they are also not recognized. Obviously during the part of my drive when I am in those states my firearms will be in the back of my van, locked as well as ammunition locked in separate container (for S Carolina the pistol will be in the glove per their laws that permit that practice). So, I want to be sure, if I am pulled over in those states that do not recognize my CCW, and my firearms and ammo are locked away in accordance with FOPA, I would not have to inform the LEO of my CCW nor that I am carrying firearms, correct since there is no concealed carry in their state and I'm not carrying concealed either? What if he specifically asks (like what happened to John Filippidis in Maryland) if I have firearms - I assume I am obligated to tell the truth, correct? But am I in my rights to refuse to allow my vehicle to be searched unless he can state probable cause?

I have a question - in states that recognize CCW permits (I have non resident FL and UT CCW) I know that if I'm carrying I should inform the LEO when pulled over and ID is requested. However, I will be driving from our home state of NJ (which does not recognize my CCWs) to Florida, and in South Carolina, PA, Maryland and DC they are also not recognized. Obviously during the part of my drive when I am in those states my firearms will be in the back of my van, locked as well as ammunition locked in separate container (for S Carolina the pistol will be in the glove per their laws that permit that practice). So, I want to be sure, if I am pulled over in those states that do not recognize my CCW, and my firearms and ammo are locked away in accordance with FOPA, I would not have to inform the LEO of my CCW nor that I am carrying firearms, correct since there is no concealed carry in their state and I'm not carrying concealed either? What if he specifically asks (like what happened to John Filippidis in Maryland) if I have firearms - I assume I am obligated to tell the truth, correct? But am I in my rights to refuse to allow my vehicle to be searched unless he can state probable cause?

Check This Website -  Handgun Law US

For each state, right at the top it will tell you whether or not you must inform the LEO that you are "carrying."

In NC, SC, yes.  In all the other states between NJ and FL, No.   And that also includes MD. You need not inform the officer.

I will also be driving to Fl soon. I intend not to carry while driving (I'll travel under FOPA rules).  But that's your call.

Another good resource is this website.  USA Carry...  This site is good for showing you reciprocity between states based on the permits you have. and vice versa (i.e. which state honors what permits).

Check This Website -  Handgun Law US

For each state, right at the top it will tell you whether or not you must inform the LEO that you are "carrying."

In NC, SC, yes.  In all the other states between NJ and FL, No.   And that also includes MD. You need not inform the officer.

I will also be driving to Fl soon. I intend not to carry while driving (I'll travel under FOPA rules).  But that's your call.

Another good resource is this website.  USA Carry...  This site is good for showing you reciprocity between states based on the permits you have. and vice versa (i.e. which state honors what permits).

My rationale or logic is that in the states that permit and recognize my CCW I am free to CCW of course but in the states that don't recognize then the firearms all go into the trunk/back luggage area and will be transported under FOPA rules.  I'm more concerned if I need to inform the LEO of firearms in the car if it is under FOPA in a non CCW recognizing state.  In the CCW states I am sure I will be fine as they are gun friendly states that recognize my CCW permits.

Don't inform if you don't have to unless you are asked to exit the vehicle. In which case say "I have a license to carry." You have no idea what the cops will do. You are also from out of state and you are opening yourself up to open ended inconvenience. Check which states require disclosure of a firearm as you have been advised above and notify only in those states.

You do not have a requirement to notify under FOPA protection, it is preempted by federal law. That being said, I haven't checked that for a while so you better do what I do and check for yourself before the trip.

My rationale or logic is that in the states that permit and recognize my CCW I am free to CCW of course but in the states that don't recognize then the firearms all go into the trunk/back luggage area and will be transported under FOPA rules.  I'm more concerned if I need to inform the LEO of firearms in the car if it is under FOPA in a non CCW recognizing state.  In the CCW states I am sure I will be fine as they are gun friendly states that recognize my CCW permits.

Study those pages on handgunlaw.us.  They each have a section on the specific law involving the need to inform a LEO if you are carrying.  If you have any further questions, I'd ask an atty. But if it were me, I would not say anything to the LEO. I would follow all unconditional commands (i.e. step out of the car,  put you hands <wherever>, etc.)... If asked to step out of the car, I'd roll up the window, keys in hand and lock the door after I got out.