njpilot

"Case Closed: 9mm Is The Best Pistol Round

Let me start off with some common retorts...

>>

Case Closed: 9mm Is The Best Pistol Round<<

"Yeah, if you're shooting children"

"Never bring any caliber to a gunfight unless it starts with a .4"

"I don't need more than one.  A .45 drops 'em in the first shot"

I'm quite sure there's millions of them.  The fact is shot placement is the key.  You need to hit CNS or major blood carrying vessels, both of which you get more chances at if you have more rounds in your firearm. 

Let's make it clear the FBI said it was the best law enforcement pistol round and I will add I will add "for general issue". The same goes for the military. 40 S&W and 45 have their uses but 9 mm Parabellum is best for general issue IMO. The militarization of police people will probably take issue with this because Parabellum means for war as we know.

Funny to hear them say that as weren't they the ones that claimed they needed something with more power to pierce the skin of a metal car.  Have they changed their minds?  Anyway, who cares what they say.  9mm is the best for placing nice holes in paper, not sure it is the best for stopping more substantial "targets".

Funny to hear them say that as weren't they the ones that claimed they needed something with more power to pierce the skin of a metal car.  Have they changed their minds?  Anyway, who cares what they say.  9mm is the best for placing nice holes in paper, not sure it is the best for stopping more substantial "targets".

No, it's not even the best for that.

Yes there are better rounds for stopping power but not for general issue to the troops. Failure to incapacitate is a very subjective thing. Many stop what they're doing after the first shot because they don't want to be shot again. A round hitting the medulla oblongata is going to stop someone if it's a 38 RNL or a 500 S&W.

Well, at least according to the FBI.

I'm sure this will spark a nice "discussion".

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/articles/4851-case-closed-fbi-says-9mm-is-the-best-pistol-round#sthash.L0phFZ2g.vrWlcgXL.dpbs

Not really...according to the FBI, the 10mm is the way to go. See the FBI's notes after the infamous 1986 Miami shootout:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf

Not really...according to the FBI, the 10mm is the way to go. See the FBI's notes after the infamous 1986 Miami shootout:

We're in 2014 in case you hadn't noticed. Whether you agree or not, that is what they are saying today in spite of what they said after the 1986 shoot out.

Yes let's look look at the Miami shootout. SA Mireles stopped Platt and Matix by hitting them with one round each in the spine with....OMG...a 38 special! Lots of changes over nearly 30 years but you can still stop someone from fighting with a 38 if you hit them in the right place.

It's been proven stopping power really doesn't exist In a handgun. You have to hit something to make the bad guy go down.

As I've stated several times I'm a relative beginner. But that doesn't stop me from weighing in on this topic from the perspective of common sense, not experience.

Fact 1: Human anatomy has been fairly well understood for say 2500 years. People knew in 400 bc that if you hit someone in certain areas of their body that they would go down immediately and eventually die. Warriors also understood how bleeding affected survival.

Fact 2: Everyone agrees that the .45 acp is an effective "stopping" round, correct? The .45 has been around since 1904. 

Fact 3: Ballistics testing has been around for at least 100 years.

Fact 4: Yet in the 110 intervening years since the .45 debuted, despite extensive knowledge of ballistics and human anatomy, military and law enforcement worldwide have adopted all sorts of rounds that posters in gun forums love to snub their noses at. 

Do we know more about combat than the Russians who adopted the Makarov (9x18)? Or the police forces that used .38 specials? Or other even weaker calibers that I'm certain people reading this could rattle off?

If my research is correct the current standard U.S. Army sidearm is a 9mm Beretta. 

So what gives?

Caliber doesnt matter....you know what caliber is responsible for the most deaths....22. Its a fact. I have seen videos of tweakers hit with multiple 45 rounds. Still coming. Same with 9 and 40. Bottom line..gotta make the body machine lose enough blood to shut down. Somebody not high will be less likey to attack after one shot of anything. Self preservation.

.....If my research is correct the current standard U.S. Army sidearm is a 9mm Beretta. 

So what gives?

Never ever ever believe that because the government decides something it is the best solution.  It is typically decision by committee with possible kickbacks.  Just look at how well the Joint Strike Fighter is working out.  Oh, BTW I believe they either just decided or are about to decide to replace the Beretta.

Never ever ever believe that because the government decides something it is the best solution.  It is typically decision by committee with possible kickbacks.  Just look at how well the Joint Strike Fighter is working out.  Oh, BTW I believe they either just decided or are about to decide to replace the Beretta.

Most members of this forum would not make that mistake :)

So the committees couldn't cut a similar deal with Beretta for a .45 sidearm? 

They often screw up on the big contract weaponry because of the uncertainty of such complex systems. Comparing a firearm to a fighter plane is a bit of a stretch to me. 

It was just another example how government decisions are usually sub-optimal and not the same as what the free market would make.  Could they have cut a similar deal with Beretta? - Maybe or maybe not.  The point is not the supplier but that they are going with a multi-caliber solution away from 9mm.

As we all (or most of us) know, there is no one right answer to which caliber is best - there are just too many variables.  The FBI thought 10mm was best but then went to .40cal as they found too many agents just could not control the 10mm.  There are plenty of people that shoot .45 that would be better served with 9mm as well.  One accurate 9mm hit is far better than two .45 cal shots that miss the target :)

My opinion is any caliber is better than throwing a rock. From .22 to the largest caliber will stop, make think twice or kill the intended recipient.

I do prefer 9mm as it is cheaper than most other rounds so I can afford to pull the trigger a few more times.

Some things to consider:

Is shot placement not discussed because its a self apparent given?

Is caliber selection consideration in a rank and file role beyond its actual effectiveness?

(in this case the report implies that is the case in consideration to the lowest common denominator individuals)

What consideration should be given toward incapacitation vs lethality? They aren't mutual. You can lethaly shoot someone and watch them continue to approach you and take your life even though their wounds were lethal, just not instantly lethal.

Who do we listen to for advice as these other factors such as lowest common denominator do not apply to me?

How many threats do you want to be able to address at a time, are you carrying a 6 round 4" 357 revolver which could be considered a 1 bad guy gun, a 1911 with 8 rounds, a 2 bad guy gun or a glock 17, multiple bg gun?