Sign in to follow this  
dman2112

My New Rifle Build

We need to talk.

I am in the process of builing a precision rifle based on Badger Ordnance components and a Remington 700 action and a H S Stock.

In addtion, I am planing to take Precision Rifle  with Black Hat in Mifflin, PA next year   and then start shooting the Precision Matches in  Peacemaker West Virginia.

P.S . - Very nice looking rifle.  Have you bought a scope for it yet?

Sorry old school...small shank

Mine is a small shank as well, doesn't make it bad.

I shoot a box stock rifle with exception of stock bedding.

I don't bed my rail unless it is a bad fit.

Precision rifles are getting popular.  This is a 243Win.

Notice the tape...LOL  Take a lot of notes.

post-1785-0-17098900-1412166968_thumb.jpg

None of my bases have recoil lugs. If it is a good mate( I've blued some ) Just lock tite the screws.

Oh forgot...another good trick is if you have a base that's rocking...run an end mill down the center and let the base mate on two sides.

lock tite or not its still relying on the screws. Seen plenty of sheared screws... A hunting zero and a precision rifle zero are usually not considered the same. But hey, if you boys are happy with lugless rails and they work for you, that's all that matters. Pop up some groups when you get a chance to ring her out!

Iggyyort. Are you reaming the chamber yourself or sending it out? Renting a pull through? I am thinking on going down the path to re barrel my .223 remmy

I currently have a Remmy 700 Varmint in .223. The only two changes I have made is to put it in a HS Stock and put a Jard Varmit trigger on it. It shoots very well with a factory barrel and no work to the receiver.

Shane. Your reading too many gun mags. I'm an MSEE. The sheer strength of a #6 grade 8 screw torqued at 22 in lbs is a proof load of 120,000 psi and a clamp load of about 822 lbs. which means you could use the rail screws as action screws on a 308 if you did not torque them beyond 22 in lbs

Sorry Dman, your degree doesn't trump my experience. But since your such an educated man, I wouldn't mind seeing the math on your shear strength because oddly, fastener companies don't seem to supply any shear strength data. Proof loads refer specifically to tensile strength which is not what we are talking about here. There are a lot of factors here. Do you really think your rifle is class 3 threads? So how many threads are actually engaging? How much force in resting on the very last thread which of course is a potential stress riser its self. Lugged rails are better. Receivers tapped for 8x32 are better. They are better because they reduce the likelihood of failure. This may not matter at all to you since if your rifle fails, you pack it up and go home. But on the agency rifles I have witnessed these failure on, prompting said upgrades, it surely matters to maximize operational up time.

Good luck with that rifle. The Savage actions that I own always shoot well with my handloads. Full factory LRPV builds with a single shot receiver gets me 1/4 MOA all day in 223 Rem and 6mm BR. Believe me, I have paid alot more for alot less in accuracy.

Just as a point of interest...I never saw a lugged base on an M24 in any of the configurations.

Just saying...correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe a couple of rails were used. I believe the badger mars and regular rail were used on more recent versions of the rifle. The regular badger rail for the M24 uses 8-40's and is lugged. But I am not an M24 history buff, I always like the M40 better :)

https://www.badgerordnance.com/products/scope-rail-m24-sws-right-hand-zero-cant-issue-item-8-40-screws-2/

Keep in mind, if I recall correctly, the original moa requirement for the M24 was < 1moa :o

How many people here on this board have gas guns that can do better than that!

I believe a couple of rails were used. I believe the badger mars and regular rail were used on more recent versions of the rifle. The regular badger rail for the M24 uses 8-40's and is lugged. But I am not an M24 history buff, I always like the M40 better :)

https://www.badgerordnance.com/products/scope-rail-m24-sws-right-hand-zero-cant-issue-item-8-40-screws-2/

Keep in mind, if I recall correctly, the original moa requirement for the M24 was < 1moa :o

How many people here on this board have gas guns that can do better than that!

1.2 + - MOA  Got your point! 

dman, Im sorry if you feelings are hurt that Im not a fan of your $44 extruded rail. But you better check the comments as you are now making a claim against my professional abilities. It is interesting to me that instead of providing the math I asked for, you instead chose to attack me. It is a simple matter of difference of opinion and I even conceded that in your case, the risks may be acceptable(even though a broken screw on an African hunt would certainly make my point). For those that are interested, I use a snap on dial torque wrench which is checked against my Seekonk calibration tool. I have broken nothing of a customers or my own. I stand behind my work.

Old School, appreciated brother.

Shane