7-3-2

Help me decide between the shield or a 357 revolver

Yes, I know they are completely separate tools in the toolbox but I will eventually end up with both. For right now I can only afford to add one new toy to my collection (im buying myself a gift for finishing college in Dec). Anyway, as of now I have a m&p 9fs, a Sr1911, an sp101 22lr and my wife has a 92fs. I stock 9mm, 22 and 223/5.56 at this time as they are the lightest rounds and cost effective for their purposes (I only really buy 45 acp as I plan to use it at the range). Here is my dilemna:

Shield:

-I like it because it has the same ergos and platform as the M&P9fs I have which is my HD piece at this time

-I already stock 9mm and it would just be another toy I could use without having to start stocking 38/357

-Could function as a ccw piece should I ever leave New Jerz

- its just cool and affordable

SP101/GP100

-Variety

-bigger bangs at the range

-possibly a better HD option than the m&p

-its a freaking revolver, and both the sp101 and gp are tanks

-possiblty a future hunting option should I ever move somewhere that allows it

So what do you guys think?

Before the flood of revolver recommendations hits, I'm going to say shield. It's not just for outside CCW, but it's convenient for home carry and comes in handy if you feel the need to answer the doorbell prepared or home-based craigslist transaction, but while also being discrete. I love holding and admiring my 686, but dont care for shooting 357. If you get the craving to shoot it, just rent until you get the funds for both. My $.02

Just from my perspective, I have several semi-auto handguns, a few I have acquired recently and a few older models.  I also have a 686 that I purchased when I turned 21.  After all these years the 686 is still my favorite gun to shoot and it is the only center fire handgun that my daughters and wife enjoy shooting.

I originally said the Shield and would recommend getting the one without the safety.  It might be less fun for your wife to shoot. 

But, I deleted that and have changed my mind.  Since you already have a couple of 9mms, I think it is time to get a revolver.  I think it is a good idea to vary your platforms and have caliber flexibility.  I would suggest about a 4" stainless .357 that can handle both .38s and .357.  Also, make sure you get a comfy grip for it.  Passing 38s down range is quite fun. 

If you leave NJ, you can always get a smaller semi-auto handgun.  Unless you buy used, the revolver will be more pricey.  A S&W 686, Ruger GP100, or Ruger SP101 would work nicely.  For versatility, (and the possiblity of a carry piece) maybe get the SP101 and put different grips on it.  However, if you are thinking about gun sports with a revolver, take the advise of someone on here that does that.  A used Ruger Six series (Speed Six, Security, and Service Six), ... in particular the Speed Six (my favorite) might be something to check into as well.

Congrats on finishing college and escaping the progressive towers.

Obviously both, but first get what you find already have.

My 3" GP is my favorite gun. My wife prefers the SP, she'll even put a few .357s through it at each range session.

There's really something intangibly special about a revolver. For me, .357 mag is far and away my favorite caliber to shoot. .38+P is my go to defensive (handgun) caliber.

I have a Shield that is a bit over 2 months old.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.  One of the best firearms decisions I have made in my purchasing and collecting history.

Without going into too much personal detail , when I moved to FL I immediately started my CCW License application process.  I shortly after bought myself a moving present, a full-size gun that I had no intention of carrying.  My license came back in near record time and I did what I had planned, carry my Glock 23 I have used as my main gun for years back home in Jersey and in FL.  However it became apparent I was having trouble concealing the G23 and carrying it was not "easy" ... I am not a big guy, in this heat I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt or maybe polo shirt, every day, for 6+ months out of the year , maybe 8 or 9 months.  I tried a few things but I realize I needed a full-time gun for full-time carry.

I searched and researched and spent a long time going over options but settled on the Shield 9mm and I couldn't be happier.  Simply a great gun- worth double the price and that is a fact.  I have had total success with it, not one flaw or problem shooting from dirt cheap 115gr to top-shelf high-quality 9mm 147gr JHPs, from Federal to Hornady and even WInchester Black Talons.  The gun came with nice white 3-Dot sights but I opted to replace them with TruGlo TFO day/night sights... an awesome option.  Other than an extra 8rd mag, I haven't done much (Although there are copious trigger/action options you can do and the company Apex is extremely popular on the S&W forums).

You can get these for like $350 now online.  Seriously, if I paid $700 for this I'd be perfectly happy.  Just an amazing pistol.  I am not saying any other guns would NOT be good, simply this is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite guns and seldom leaves my side.

I would only get rid of my Shield to get one without a thumb safety.   Or, preferably if they came out with one that had just a slighly longer slide/barrel, perhaps the length of a G19. 

I have the Shield and while I like the way it shoots , I am not quite sure what it wants to be . IMO it has all the drawbacks of a pocket gun , all while being too big to fit in a pocket . Any fashion of carry where you are actually properly concealing a Shield , you could also carry a G19 nearly double the amount of rounds. 

I would only get rid of my Shield to get one without a thumb safety.   Or, preferably if they came out with one that had just a slighly longer slide/barrel, perhaps the length of a G19. 

I also have one with thumb safety. What would be the objective of getting one without the thumb safety?  Does the "without" version have a stronger trigger pull (i.e. DA style) to compensate?

I agree with the guy that said to "get both"!

(I'll qualify the following as my opinion only....)

But I would say the shield is a more versatile piece

But the wheelie is more fun To shoot.

My experience is with a S&W 586 and a Shield 9

They're both great guns, but I do more with the shield.

(Again, that's just me).

In either case, let us know!

Yeah its a tough decision still and I dont think I can go wrong either way. I do plan on eventually getting both, I guess it will come down to what funds I can save up between now and the point that I get my permit in hand. I guess I could always throw the lcr 357 and lcrx in the mix lol.

just FYI - I am 5'8" and 140lbs. 145lbs. at the very most during a bad bad month.

And I pocket carried the Shield in my right hand pocket for the 1st month I owned it, every day, in an $11 Walmart-purchased Blackhawk "Inside-the-pocket holster for Glock 26/27, Kahr PM9, and most other subcompact 9mm/.40 S&Ws" ... and it was fine.

So I cannot abide those who say they can't see how the Shield can be pocket carried.  I am not a big guy and I did it all day every day for a month.  And I rode the Gator for hours with it in my pocket, drove my Jeep , mowed the lawn, etc.

Now I obviously never planned to do it forever, nor do I claim it is THE answer to someone looking for a pocket pistol.  But it can be done.  I bought it and I just didn't have the cash to buy a real and proper CCW holster at the time as I blew my money on the Shield and such so I spent the $10.97 on the pocket holster and saved up.  The next month I bought night sights, gunsmithing, spare mag, Galco King Tuk hybrid IWB etc. and I am happy but , I certainly pocket carried it for a month.

just FYI - I am 5'8" and 140lbs. 145lbs. at the very most during a bad bad month.

And I pocket carried the Shield in my right hand pocket for the 1st month I owned it, every day, in an $11 Walmart-purchased Blackhawk "Inside-the-pocket holster for Glock 26/27, Kahr PM9, and most other subcompact 9mm/.40 S&Ws" ... and it was fine.

So I cannot abide those who say they can't see how the Shield can be pocket carried. I am not a big guy and I did it all day every day for a month. And I rode the Gator for hours with it in my pocket, drove my Jeep , mowed the lawn, etc.

Now I obviously never planned to do it forever, nor do I claim it is THE answer to someone looking for a pocket pistol. But it can be done. I bought it and I just didn't have the cash to buy a real and proper CCW holster at the time as I blew my money on the Shield and such so I spent the $10.97 on the pocket holster and saved up. The next month I bought night sights, gunsmithing, spare mag, Galco King Tuk hybrid IWB etc. and I am happy but , I certainly pocket carried it for a month.

Thanks! I actually like that its a little bit larger so that you can get more fingers on the grip. I dout id fit pocket pistols in the pockets of these freaking jeans anyway (a total pet peeve of mine is how freaking tight jeans are nowadays ... Barely enough room for my nuggs let alone a pistol lol)

Get the .357. I have taken a good number of people shooting and nothing puts a smile on their face like shooting magnums. That's the gun these people talk about after the fact, not the various 9mm pistols I have them shoot. The 1911 comes in a close second.

If it's a range toy you're looking for, get the magnum.

I have the Shield and while I like the way it shoots , I am not quite sure what it wants to be . IMO it has all the drawbacks of a pocket gun , all while being too big to fit in a pocket . Any fashion of carry where you are actually properly concealing a Shield , you could also carry a G19 nearly double the amount of rounds.

The Shield is thinner and easier to conceal than the Glock 19, especially for some body types. In my estimation it shoots more like a G19 than say a Pocket gun. For me that is the appeal to the sleek Shield because it feels more like a medium-size gun.

The M&P compact is also a sweet gun not to be overlooked. It is smaller, but thicker than the Shield with a sight radius similar to a G19. I would lovea G19-sized Shield with a longer barrel.

Thanks! I actually like that its a little bit larger so that you can get more fingers on the grip. I dout id fit pocket pistols in the pockets of these freaking jeans anyway (a total pet peeve of mine is how freaking tight jeans are nowadays ... Barely enough room for my nuggs let alone a pistol lol)

Just wanted to respond and make a point - well a few points.  As far as the Shield, grip, and trigger goes, it's awesome and people who haven't tried will be very pleasantly surprised.  The beauty IMHO of the Shield is that with the flush-fitting magazine it makes a very concealable, petite package that tucks in just about anywhere.  Yet you still get a three-finger purchase that is the same if not much better than a 'Baby' Glock 26/27 because of the thin profile and amazing grip angle of the Shield.  However, when you add the extended-magazine, the grip actually becomes nearly exactly the same if not a touch longer than a G19 - which is not only one of the most common and popular concealed handguns it's also one of the most popular duty handguns.  So with the Shield you get basically the absolute best of both worlds- On the fly.  You can simply swap magazines to go from great concealability to great shootability.

About the jeans and pocket carry- I would have to agree.  I wouldn't be pocket carrying it in jeans unless they're really oversized, painter pants style jeans.  Back in 2012, I invested in about 12 pairs of pants and 4-5 shorts from LA Police Gear.  They have an amazing lineup of pants/shorts with an AWESOME setup of pockets.  Not only are they roomy and comfortable, but they're equally adept at work or at the range.  They have an awesome setup of pockets that varies according to the exact model but all of them include like 6-8 minimum and they're made of a ripstop-style cloth that looks like business slacks.  So I am wearing these probably 4-5 days out of 7.  Plus I don't care what the kids fashion is these days, skinny jeans are ridiculous imho, I am a man and I need my space.  So my jeans are baggy and have some room - BUT i still wouldn't be pocket carrying in jeans unless it was the only option.

However, I believe you COULD do it with the Shield if you had to .

I also have one with thumb safety. What would be the objective of getting one without the thumb safety?  Does the "without" version have a stronger trigger pull (i.e. DA style) to compensate?

It is a defensive carry gun, and with training the safety is unnecessary (perhaps unless carried in a pocket). I don't want to train using a safety, and don't want it to be the only platform with one, and evev though it is low profile and generally easy to ignore, it's still there and there is a possibility of it accidentally being engaged even though it is remote. That nessesitates training with it. If it isn't there, it cannot get in the wsy.

As the owner of both the GP100 and SP101 in .357 it pains me to advise you to go with the shield given your circumstances. Seems like money is tight. The gun is a one-time expense. You have to live with your caliber choices for as long as you own the gun: 

17 cents/round for 9mm vs. 27 for .38 special and 34 cents for .357. 

You might compromise and consider one of the 9mm revolvers. 

It is a defensive carry gun, and with training the safety is unnecessary (perhaps unless carried in a pocket). I don't want to train using a safety, and don't want it to be the only platform with one, and evev though it is low profile and generally easy to ignore, it's still there and there is a possibility of it accidentally being engaged even though it is remote. That nessesitates training with it. If it isn't there, it cannot get in the wsy.

I was thinking it would necessitate training either way.... 1) To train to be ready to take the safety off safely when drawing, or 2) Learn to draw it safely all the time (i.e. in condition "zero") and leave the safety always off. At least with a DA/SA (like the P226), there is a difference in trigger pull.