Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Rabid Coyote Killed Bit Two People

If you see one and it doesn't run away, chances are it is rabid.

You know what to do!  The head will need to be examined by F&W and should be preserved.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham-chester/hunter-kills-rabid-coyote-bit-two-people-chester-twp-cops-say-0?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_term=police%20%26%20fire&utm_campaign=alert#.VDP6lRbp-d8

If this post in the wrong place please move it.

And so it begins.  I am all for wildlife but in the most densely populated state in the nation, some acceptable levels need to be maintained on certain species through effective hunting regulations.  Both the bear and coyote seasons need to be expanded and seasonally adjusted.  Current regulations are causing a lot of stress to both the wildlife and human populations.

Sorry but a wild animal not running away is not an indicator that it has rabies. They will protect a food source, I have had many wild animals stand their ground to protect food or offspring.  Any time you see a wild animal that you think may be sick please call the professionals. For Bear and coyote call fish and wildlife. All other wild animals and all domestic animals call Animal control.

P.S.- Animals that are generally nocturnal ie. raccoons, opossums, skunks ect out during the day time is NOT a sign of rabies. In fact it is very common in the spring and fall for them to be out in the day time foraging for food.  

Sorry but a wild animal not running away is not an indicator that it has rabies. They will protect a food source, I have had many wild animals stand their ground to protect food or offspring.  Any time you see a wild animal that you think may be sick please call the professionals. For Bear and coyote call fish and wildlife. All other wild animals and all domestic animals call Animal control.

P.S.- Animals that are generally nocturnal ie. raccoons, opossums, skunks ect out during the day time is NOT a sign of rabies. In fact it is very common in the spring and fall for them to be out in the day time foraging for food.  

chances are it is rabid.

This is the qualifier! NOT positively rabid but if it is not scared of humans something is wrong.

If it walks towards you...something is definitely wrong.

If it is aggressive...oh yeah just call F&W    NOT!!!

Sorry I disagree.

But legally I believe it must be a threat.

so what would you do if you are hiking in a park in NJ and you see a coyote that does not run away from you if your not going to call the professionals? Have you been trained in detection of rabies in animals? What happens if you kill an animal that you think has rabies and it turns out it is not positive? Now you have illegally killed an animal. Also do you have your pre exposure rabies shots like the professionals because even after the animal is dead rabies can still be transmitted if you come into contact with brain matter, spinal fluid or salvia. You mention that the head needs to be preserved for rabies testing, if the animal did not come into contact with a person or domestic animal the state does not want to test it anyways. So are you suggesting that other members of this forum kill an animal that they believe is rabid and then expose themselves to rabies by even touching the carcass let alone performing a decapitation which WILL put that person in contact with spinal fluid that may contain the virus? Sounds like a bad idea to me! But hey what do I know im just an Animal control officer and Cruelty investigator that picks up a few rabid animals every year. 

so what would you do if you are hiking in a park in NJ and you see a coyote that does not run away from you if your not going to call the professionals? Have you been trained in detection of rabies in animals? What happens if you kill an animal that you think has rabies and it turns out it is not positive? Now you have illegally killed an animal. Also do you have your pre exposure rabies shots like the professionals because even after the animal is dead rabies can still be transmitted if you come into contact with brain matter, spinal fluid or salvia. You mention that the head needs to be preserved for rabies testing, if the animal did not come into contact with a person or domestic animal the state does not want to test it anyways. So are you suggesting that other members of this forum kill an animal that they believe is rabid and then expose themselves to rabies by even touching the carcass let alone performing a decapitation which WILL put that person in contact with spinal fluid that may contain the virus? Sounds like a bad idea to me! But hey what do I know im just an Animal control officer and Cruelty investigator that picks up a few rabid animals every year. 

I started out only posting a warning.

I never suggested that anyone become intimate with pathogens

Thank you for volunteering your background, it explains your bureaucratic response.

I retract my warning!

If anyone sees an out of place coyote out during  the day and, it doesn’t run away, or walks toward you, or acts aggressively… Immediately contact a highly trained professional.

While waiting for a response, feed this “newly found dolphin of the woods”, your children and pets.

Is there no common sense any more!

No bureaucratic response from me. You did not post a warning you stated "you know what to do and that the head needs to be examined by F&W" that does not sound like a warning to me. If I were to post a warning I would have said "Hey everyone their is a confirmed case of rabies in a coyote in chester so if you see a coyote stay away from it and if it appears sick call F&W". And telling people to stay away from something that could possibly injure them and then slowly and painfully kill them is common sense. But your right common sense is not so common anymore and that's why I felt the need to post what I did

I'll give it try:

WARNING:

There is a confirmed case of a rabid coyote in Chester. The coyote bit one person on Saturday and was aggressive to two others.

"A Chester Township police officer and New Jersey Conservation Officers were dispatched to the area to search for the animal but came up empty."

The next day it bit a hunter who put the animal down.

If confronted by an aggressive animal, leave the area, then call F&W. If unable to leave or if chased, defend yourself in a legal and appropriate manner. Then call F&W.

At all times keep your distance from wild animals, living or dead.

And so it begins.  I am all for wildlife but in the most densely populated state in the nation, some acceptable levels need to be maintained on certain species through effective hunting regulations. 

1/3 of Jersey is the biggest forest from Mass to Virginia and the majority of Jersey does not have a high population density. We are simply cursed with a number of cities within our borders.

I kill coyote anytime I see one. They are perfectly legal to kill at anytime your deer hunting between September - February (in my zone) and then until the end of March if you purchase the special coyote/Fox permit. BTW during the special season you may hunt Coyote with a center fire rifle up to .25 cal. So yes your AR is legal to hunt with as long as you don't load the gun with more than 3 rounds. I walk down my street in full camo, with my rifle slung Uncased on the way to the woods at the end of my street. Hunting license displayed on my back. Perfectly legal to do so. No one calls police, Sussex county is awesome!

Stop being such a baby their is no need to pout. you posted something stupid and I called you out on it. Nothing more, nothing less

Deleted my reply.

Don't want to play this silly game any more.

You are entitled to your opinion. 

Wowow so it really did kill this guy and partially ate him. Why is the autopsy taking so long? Even toxicology should be done by now, not to mention "severe bite wounds about the head and neck, and a hole where his liver should have been."

I was wrong again!! 

Who said, "partially?"

Anyway, it seems it was a case of mistaken identity. Rutgers students named Patel are obviously not part of a bear's natural diet. The bear probably thought it was a slot machine Indian, not 7-11 Indian.

I earned Fish & Wildlife Management and Marksmanship merit badges back in the day. Neither prepared me for when a coyote crept into my campsite and tried to scurry off with my food, still in the cooler no less.  From then on, our battlecry when backpacking and encountering aggresive/proactive/"industrius" animals was "Remember the Igloo!", a la the Texas Revolution.

I kill coyote anytime I see one. They are perfectly legal to kill at anytime your deer hunting between September - February (in my zone) and then until the end of March if you purchase the special coyote/Fox permit. BTW during the special season you may hunt Coyote with a center fire rifle up to .25 cal. So yes your AR is legal to hunt with as long as you don't load the gun with more than 3 rounds. I walk down my street in full camo, with my rifle slung Uncased on the way to the woods at the end of my street. Hunting license displayed on my back. Perfectly legal to do so. No one calls police, Sussex county is awesome!

Interesting! I'm new to hunting in NJ, but this sounds like a helpful start.

Dances with Baccarat taste like herbs, trout, and cheap NYC coke. Perfect bear food.

I loved that movie.