High Exposure

Open Carry Proponent Robbed of His Gun at Gunpoint

I am in no way shape or form happy that this guy was robbed at gunpoint, but.... how do you not see this outcome as a possibility if you adhere to Open Carry as the way to go? How do you carry a gun in the open and stay so obliviously in condition white? A stranger approaches you at 0200 and your Spidey senses don't get all tingly?

Also, who OCs a Walther P22?

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/10/gresham_man_robbed_of_pistol_a.html

Gresham Police Department investigators are looking for a man who reportedly stole a pistol from its owner at gunpoint.

According to Gresham police, William Coleman III was talking to his cousin near 172nd and Glisan at about 2:10 a.m. on Saturday while openly carrying the gun he had purchased on Friday.

Coleman said a man, about 19- to 23-years-old, approached them, asking for a cigarette. Coleman said the man then inquired about Coleman's weapon, then pulled a pistol from his own waistband and said, "I like your gun. Give it to me." Coleman handed over his new handgun and the suspect left on foot.

Coleman described the man as 6-foot-1, clean cut with a small patch of facial hair on his chin and short black wavy hair. He was wearing grey sweatpants, a white t-shirt and flip-flops during the incident.

The stolen gun was a black Walther P22 semi-automatic designed to take 22-long ammunition.

Anyone with information on the case can call the Gresham Police Tips line at 503-618-2719.

-- Adrianna Rodriguez

I read that yesterday and was like WTF! This guy must have just been carrying because he could and probably had little to no training. I love one of the comments...

"Situational awareness of a pickle"

There is a lot of open carry out there. Even if his excuse it was for snakes, unless it's snake shot or something, or he is s part time hit man...lol, no excuse. You must stay vigilant at all times. My first time out there years ago, a guy on a crotch rocket was carrying 3 sides visible. Also a lot of rifles laying on cars. I'd lile to think they got smarter, or not? But What the Frack!!!

Should have unloaded in his sack.., he would have went down. Lol

Posted Image

You are correct. Should have specified 'Nut Sack' as to not confuse on lookers that he wasn't planning on shooting his Man Bag, I mean Purse, I mean Grocery Bag. Lol...

It sucks, it's a shame, but you shouldn't be out and about at 2am in neighborhoods where assholes who shouldn't be carrying guns are carrying guns and bumming smokes. For that matter you shouldn't smoke. But if you do smoke and someone asks you for a cigarette at 2am in a neighborhood that you should have avoided in the first place you should simply pull your gun and tell him, "Move on, motherfukcer!" Which you wouldn't have to do if you were not out and about at 2am. I'm so confused.

One thing that has stuck in my mind was a statistic/article that most guns pulled by criminal types are fake/broken/using the wrong ammo.

Keeping that in mind I don't know what I would do in that situation. I would assume this guy is dumb or a rookie or has an airsoft gun because most robberies seem to involve ass kicking and demands later. Also seem to be multiple people who mug you at once.

It's easy to say throw a magful of 22lr into his face, but I'm sure your thought process goes out the window with a barrel in your face. I'd like to think that you could say sure no problem and unholster yourself.

Sure hope nobody is ever shot by their own gun.

It sucks, it's a shame, but you shouldn't be out and about at 2am in neighborhoods where assholes who shouldn't be carrying guns are carrying guns and bumming smokes. For that matter you shouldn't smoke. But if you do smoke and someone asks you for a cigarette at 2am in a neighborhood that you should have avoided in the first place you should simply pull your gun and tell him, "Move on, motherfukcer!" Which you wouldn't have to do if you were not out and about at 2am. I'm so confused.

You are aware that not everyone works 9 to 5 right? Plenty of people work odd hours. They shouldn't be on the streets huh? Not everyone lives in the suburbs where a car is required. I lived in belmar for 6 years. If I moved my car during the weekends I would lose my spot until Sunday night. Therefore I often walked to go out to eat or to go to the store for something. Work for me starts at 4am so it's conceivable that I could be walking to the convenience store at 2 am. I shouldn't do so? C'mon man, get real.

I am surprised this does not happen more often.  Open carry is sort of like walking around with your wallet clipped to your waistband with $100 bills hanging out.  Forget the fact that this bad guy had a gun, I would think the more typical case would be you become surrounded by 3 or 4 bangers that just say give it to me as they grab your arms and take it.  Concealed carry makes a heck of a lot more sense

Yeah....pull your gun and say move on motherfucker...you can't be for real.

8b81c5368e3c4db188040a8141d8cf1a.jpg

If the guy is unarmed sure. But I think a lot of people skimmed over the fact that he was robbed at gunpoint for his gun. Open air place like on the streets in that situation your damn right I'm just going to hand it over. Better to live and fight another day.

people seem to want to gloss over the details on this one.

calling him an "open carry proponent" is stretching the term farther than it can sustain.

the guy was out at 0 dark 30 on a street corner in what by all accounts is a "bad" neighborhood.

he probably isn't a member of the "fine upstanding citizen" crowd.

he had BRUTALLY POOR situational awareness.

he clearly had done no training or studying in the art of open carry.

hundreds of thousands of people OC every day and a vanishingly small number of them get their guns taken... and most of the time by police.

You are aware that not everyone works 9 to 5 right? Plenty of people work odd hours. They shouldn't be on the streets huh? Not everyone lives in the suburbs where a car is required. I lived in belmar for 6 years. If I moved my car during the weekends I would lose my spot until Sunday night. Therefore I often walked to go out to eat or to go to the store for something. Work for me starts at 4am so it's conceivable that I could be walking to the convenience store at 2 am. I shouldn't do so? C'mon man, get real.

My post was only about 40% serious. You should probably not try to forge permanent friendships based on bumming cigarettes at 2am. Like I said this guy was ambushed. Probably would have been robbed even if he wasn't carrying. A blip on the radar screen.

Nothing like making yourself more of a target. Open carry really makes no sense

Did you really just write that?  How do you carry every day at work? 

How many LEO's are held up so their firearms are stolen?  

If you walk around with the situational awareness of a potato, you are a victim waiting to be.  Doesn't matter if you open carry, conceal carry or don't carry at all.

My post was only about 40% serious. You should probably not try to forge permanent friendships based on bumming cigarettes at 2am. Like I said this guy was ambushed. Probably would have been robbed even if he wasn't carrying. A blip on the radar screen.

No , I get your point. It just irritates me when people can't think outside their own "frame". I'm not necessarily accusing you by the way. When people say dumb shit like "they were out on the streets at 2am, they should be home safe in bed" it just reeks of ignorance. He'll I even bartender for a few years. If I had lived in Philly or NYC I'd be walking the streets at 3 am with a pocket full of cash. Just a guy trying to make a living. Doesn't mean I'm "asking for it"

For what it's worth maybe the guy was carrying at 2am because he was situationally aware. Maybe he conversed with the guy about cigs because his gun gave him a sense of security. A false sense mind you but a sense none the less.

I also think it's a bad choice to walk in a bad area at a bad time open carrying. Concealed is probably the way to go in this situation.

Finally. Hope the perpetrator has a better time finding 22 ammo for his new gat piece than I can. Lol