ECsandstar

First 1911?

So ive been looking into some options and it seems like the RIA and Tisas seem to be the most cost effective options, but im not opposed to something a bit higher in price range. I briefly handled a Ruger a few weeks ago that didnt feel too bad, and relatively tight. Not looking to spend a fortune but i also believe in getting what you pay for, and id like something of decent quality.

So, any suggestions?

I second the nod for Para USA.

The Expert series is a VG quality gun, with features not found in the RIA (which is approx. the same price)

or the Tisas........

Just so happen to Have the Para USA Expert in both Black & Stainless In Stock with $100.00 rebate from

the factory.........

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, or Colt Series 70 (re-issue) if you can spend a little more. Shoot the base gun a lot, then once you're more familiar with what features you may want on a 1911, get it customized by a good smith.

Amongst bigger name gun manufacturers (ie. brands you will typically see in gun stores), there are only 2 that make 1911s worth a damn...Colt and Springfield Armory.

^^^ in his opinion

I've got a S&W 1911 that's never given me a problem.

An opinion that is shared by many industry experts that have forgotten more about 1911s than anyone here will ever know about.

Also, the internet argument of "my [insert favorite gun] has never given me problems" doesn't prove anything. And to be fair, neither would my lone argument of "my pistol was problematic". Especially if said guns were never used in conditions beyond an indoor range.

One needs to look at the larger track record established over time. One source of this is talking to those in the know, such as gunsmiths who have worked on thousands of 1911s over the years.

The Expert series is a VG quality gun, with features not found in the RIA (which is approx. the same price)

or the Tisas........

Just so happen to Have the Para USA Expert in both Black & Stainless In Stock with $100.00 rebate from

the factory.........

3rd on the Para Expert full size. I like mine. In fact, I got a $100.00 rebate on it. :D

or the Tisas........

the factory.........

Thanks i will keep that in mind!

Springfield Mil-Spec or Range Officer work well, are affordable, and are often built into high-end guns that are user in competition at the state and national level.

The Ruger SR1911 is an OK first 1911. I had one; typical mass-produced 1911, but a good shooter. Not familiar with Tisas, but skeptical based on price. S&W and Sig make quality guns, but in some models use proprietary and non-standard components; if you don't plan to upgrade, not a problem. I do like the different finish options Sig offers.

Also, the STI Spartan line is good for a budget. I'd choose them over RIA. Both have frames made by Armscor, but the Spartans are finished in Texas by STI.

One needs to look at the larger track record established over time. One source of this is talking to those in the know, such as gunsmiths who have worked on thousands of 1911s over the years.

Brands recommended to me, for an out of the box shooter worth being built into a competition gun down the road: Colt, Kimber, Para, Springfield, some S&W models, and STI. YMMV.

I have a Kimber Pro Carry .45acp, Para Expert .45acp, Sig TacOps .45acp, RIA 9mm and GSG .22lr.  They are all different.  The Kimber is my favorite.  Has a bull barrel, is very comfortable and is accurate.  The Sig is my next favorite, on the same level as the Kimber.  It is a bit heavier but the recoil is a bit lighter and I like the grips.  Not a fan of the external extractor though.  The Para was a suprise.  It's got a great trigger but I'm just not as accurate with it as the Kimber or Sig.  This one I'll use as a platform to customize or build my own when I retire.  The RIA in 9mm is ok.  Not great.  it's an ok range gun but too many FTF for my tastes.  Looks like the feed ramp is off center and replacement barrels are always out of stock  I'm not impressed with it but the price point is worth a look if you happen to get a good one.  The GSG is a nice .22 but very picky about ammo.  About the only thing I've found that works reliably is CCI minimags or tactical.

My first was the Kimber.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.  The Sig is a quality piece.  Both IMO are in the middle of the price point between entry level and custom.  The Para and RIA are entry-level IMO.  Nice way to try out the 1911 but if you like the platform you'll eventually want to upgrade.

So ive been looking into some options and it seems like the RIA and Tisas seem to be the most cost effective options, but im not opposed to something a bit higher in price range. I briefly handled a Ruger a few weeks ago that didnt feel too bad, and relatively tight. Not looking to spend a fortune but i also believe in getting what you pay for, and id like something of decent quality.

So, any suggestions?

I was in the same boat when shopping for my first 1911.  After test firing a few, I decided with the RIA 1911.  I'm happy with the purchase and no regrets to this day.

vk4FOkL.jpg

Anyone have the range officer in 9mm?

I am thinking obout one.

My girl has it in 9 and I like it way better than my 45 version. It so smooth and its kinda like shooting a .22. Its also unbelievable accurate. 

If i were going to buy another 9mm handgun it would either be another Glock, a vp9, or a PPQ. I have no desire to own a 1911 in 9mm.  45acp is the way to go! Im still doing some comparing on models/mfg's. I may go with the Ruger as i got a pretty good price on one. The Sig 1911 Nightmare is also sweet looking and has good reviews, but puts me closer to the $1k range.

It would be nice if someone had a few of these in stock at a time...like Tisas, RIA, Para, Ruger etc...then maybe someone else have some of the high end stuff like the SA, Colt and Sig to get a first-hand comparison/ impression/ testing.

This is tough, and i dont want to regret my first 1911 purchase because i love the platform.

This is tough, and i dont want to regret my first 1911 purchase because i love the platform.

This is why it's in your best interest to go with a Colt or Springfield.

With 1911s, either go with a very basic no frills model (Colt or Springfield), or spend the money for something like a Wilson Combat, Springfield Custom Shop, or full custom from a 1 man shop. "In-between" 1911s that look like full custom guns are always a compromise when it comes to small parts quality and fit.

It would be nice if someone had a few of these in stock at a time...like Tisas, RIA, Para, Ruger etc...then maybe someone else have some of the high end stuff like the SA, Colt and Sig to get a first-hand comparison/ impression/ testing.

Check out RTSP.  They have quite a few 1911s in stock (matter of fact an entire glass cabinet of 1911s).  You can check out most of the models as well as the higher tiered stuff.

I own quite a few 1911s.  Don't ask why.  I started with a Taurus.  The fit and finish was a bit sloppy but it worked.  It has since had all of the MIM parts replaced with machined parts as I use it for competition.  The cost of the Taurus was not much but all the upgrades have more than doubled the cost of what I originally spent.  It is ridiculously accurate now though with many custom touches.  

My second 1911 is a S&W E-Series commander length.  This one also has MIM parts but I vowed to keep this one stock.

My third 1911 was a STI Spartan in 9mm.  This one was customized by a buddy of mine.  I got this originally to show my wife to shoot but this has found a new usage in steel matches.  I absolutely love this one.

DSC_1542.jpg

My brother's first 1911 is the Springfield RO.  My buddy who did all the work on my 1911 was very impressed with the quality of the parts.  The fit and finish is very good.  We added a fiber optic front sight, extended magazine release, mag well, ambi thumb safety and a full length guide rod.  These were only added as it will be used in competition but none of this was mandatory.  One thing that impressed was the titanium firing pin which is not standard on most 1911s.

You have no idea what you are missing. Same great platform, significantly lower ammo bill. But for your first, go .45.

I may do a 9mm 1911 in the future, but like you said, for my first 1911...it must be .45

How about the plain jane Remington R1. I have one and its been flawless. Cost about $600.

I have not looked into the R1, but i may now...

For my 1st 1911, I have my eye on the Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson Valor. More expensive than some of the other guns listed here but I figured, if Im only going to have 1 1911 for a while, Ill save the extra cash and get a nice one.