MeanderingCuban

Cherry Ridge after Police events

I was going to take my wife to CR this Monday Oct 13th during the morning hours so she could shoot. However, the pistol range is closed until 12:30 PM due to a police event. 

My question is, how crowded does the pistol range get after the police event is over at 12:30 PM? Is there a large crowd waiting for the ports to open up at 12:30PM ? As a side not it is annoying as hell that CR does this to there members.

The two times I was there during a police event I turned around and went to the low-cal range and shot my .22s for a couple of hours. I didn't see how crowded it got afterward because I walked to the clubhouse (my ritual), had a cup of coffee, and drove right home. The cops take the range during weekdays, I believe. Nothing is crowded at CR during the week. 

ANJRPC could do a better job of publicizing closings, for example an email blast.

The two times I was there during a police event I turned around and went to the low-cal range and shot my .22s for a couple of hours. I didn't see how crowded it got afterward because I walked to the clubhouse (my ritual), had a cup of coffee, and drove right home. The cops take the range during weekdays, I believe. Nothing is crowded at CR during the week. 

ANJRPC could do a better job of publicizing closings, for example an email blast.

Thanks, I have to admit that it pisses me off that the ranges get closed to paying members so that non-paying cops can shoot. I may go elsewhere after my membership is up. If I'm paying I should be able to use the facility.

Thanks, I have to admit that it pisses me off that the ranges get closed to paying members so that non-paying cops can shoot. I may go elsewhere after my membership is up. If I'm paying I should be able to use the facility.

You can use the facilities 359 days a year, the pistol range all those days except for 10-15 mornings per year when the cops are shooting or they have a match. You can bring your shotgun or .22s or rifles on days you're surprised, as I always do, or can call ahead of time which I don't do. There's no other club or organization you can join that grants you that level of access in such a beautiful venue for $170/yr. To me it's win/win, like a tittie parlour that gives you 100 $1 bills and five drink vouchers when you walk in and as a bonus you don't get a nail fungus from stuffing the bills into the dancers' cleavage. Sortof.

why do they close it to paying members when leo's are there? i'd think that that'd be a great time for officers to meet some upstanding citizens, rather than the normal dregs they get to deal with all day long......

They're "more equal" than you

I'm betting there's a holster draw policy that forbids it. Basically if the cops are the only ones there they can draw. If anyone else is there they cannot. Which I think is also bullshit since we'd like to practice drawing too! And agreed on meeting the "upstanding" members of the citizenship, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you got scowled at by several persons.

I noticed from the "CR thumbs down" forum that there will be six closings on the PR this month due to police activity. That seems excessive.

I've emailed Scott Bach with a bunch of questions that, I hope, will clarify Range policy on this subject and also calm some folks down.

Got an announcement today regarding training at CR this weekend. My response:

You announce these training events, which is great.

Why not similarly announce range closings? There's been a lot of grumbling about them, particularly 6x this month alone for the pistol range.

Best regards,

The Pocono Bounty Hunter

PS I still have not heard from Scott Bach on the whys and wheres of range closings. Will post any responses here and in the "Thumbs Down" thread.

Well guess what. I called CR Monday around 11AM to see if the cops were running late or if the pistol range would be open to members at the stated time of 12:30PM. The cops never showed up, so the pistol range was open as usual. I think CR needs to address this with the PD's that are scheduled to come and qualify. If CR is closing the range to it's members as a courtesy to the LEO's then the LEO's should have the decency to either show up or at least notify the range that they will not be coming.

OK Scott Bach responded to me. Here's what he wrote:

I agree that 6 days would be excessive.  Please note that there are some errors in the schedule.  October 2 and 13 were in error and there was no police use those days.

We work to strike the right balance of range usage at our facility, and there are many competing goals.  We don’t always achieve the right balance, but with regard to police usage, keep in mind that (1) usage is often completed within two hours; (2) usage is not always on the pistol range, nor is it always exclusive; (3) we try to schedule police usage during low activity periods (usuallyMonday or Tuesday mornings); (4) .22 pistols can be used on the multi-purpose range while the pistol range is in use by LE; and (5) the schedule is always announced well in advance both online and in News & Briefs (we urge members to check both, and call the range hotline, before making a lengthy trip to the range).

As for 2015, the schedule is not yet finalized with regard to all usage, so the schedule should be checked early and often to avoid potential disappointment.

Not entirely satisfactory IMO, as he did not answer all my questions. I subsequently asked about mailing lists and was told that since the ANJRPC list has a lot more entries than the range list, the logistics are complicated. I'll leave it at that -- there's more to it -- although I'm not entirely satisfied with that answer.

All I can tell you guys is to think this issue through. I obviously am a big fan of Cherry Ridge. Even my wife likes the place, and she semi-hates guns :)

Think about the restrictions, about your options, about your hearing, about price points, and make your own decisions. I hope you'll stick with the range but if you don't I wish you peace and happiness.

I have to say that I took my wife on Monday after 12:30 Pm and she enjoyed shooting very much. My wife never hated guns but she's not a big fan of indoor ranges. Being outdoors at CR helped make the experience much more enjoyable. On the way home she commented that she would like to go back and shoot again.

Will I be renewing next year? Yes. As a matter of fact I will probably get a family membership as my wife now seems to enjoy shooting and our daughter will be of age to go to CR with us.

Overall CR is a great range. I guess I just got a bit ticked off at the fact that the pistol range was closed to members on the first day my wife and I were  off from work at the same time and I could introduce her to shooting. But, in the end it all worked out.

To boot I got to go again this Friday!!

Congrats on getting your wife aboard. Just went thru that with mine, took a good few yrs to get her interested , gave her my S&W 63 for a xmas present and that seemed to snowball the interest. After a few trips she commented she wants her own target frame to shoot at (another dumb CR rule, guest must share your target ). So a few months back we did the family membership. Of course for the few times she goes guesting her would be a lot cheaper but her wanting to join- priceless!

New to the forums?

I really only have looked into and heard the prices of places within 30 miles or so of where I live now, maybe a couple places up to 100 miles away north and west. I guess Sussex sucks because there aren't many good ranges that far north in PA to fall back on.

I've never even heard of a gun club that charges $170 per year.

Did you ever see the list of people on the payroll at this place?

And don't forget about the wasted money on useless lawsuits like the one against New Hampshire. Instead of using money to sue NJ, they are suing New Hampshire for their carry laws. Which, if won, will probably benefit 6 people in NJ.

I don't think they want change in NJ laws. Feeding on the fear and emotion of NJ gun owners is how they make money.

I wish there was more competition for outdoor ranges up north here. I am a NRA Law Enforcement Instructor in Patrol Rifle and Tactical Shooting...do you think I am allowed to draw from a holster? Hell no. At Gun For Hire I am allowed to draw from a holster, but not CR.

Not to many real world shooting encounters happen with your pistol sitting on a table in front of you.

Did you ever see the list of people on the payroll at this place?

And don't forget about the wasted money on useless lawsuits like the one against New Hampshire. Instead of using money to sue NJ, they are suing New Hampshire for their carry laws. Which, if won, will probably benefit 6 people in NJ.

I don't think they want change in NJ laws. Feeding on the fear and emotion of NJ gun owners is how they make money.

Have you? Are you actually aware of any renumeration or guessing. I believe Scott Bach was rewarded with (at least?) 100K a yr to stay on when he said was leaving to further his lawyering(*well played Scott !). But yes there is a gazillion people working that place as some sort of officer, trustee etc...

Have you? Are you actually aware of any renumeration or guessing. I believe Scott Bach was rewarded with (at least?) 100K a yr to stay on when he said was leaving to further his lawyering(*well played Scott !). But yes there is a gazillion people working that place as some sort of officer, trustee etc...

It's 150k.

Indoor public ranges no doubt, absolutely. Outdoor/gun clubs, never heard of anything like that. Even gun clubs that have indoor ranges don't cost anything like that from what I have seen.

Don't you think the price of outdoor ranges has some relationship to what you'd pay at an indoor place with roughly equal facilities?

Here's a link to the Pocono Pistol Range. Membership is $249, which gives you 2 hours/month which I'd use up 2/3 of the way through my first session of the month. After that it's $18/hr. So for me you could add another $800/yr. That's ballpark for RTSP and Gun for Hire, both quality NJ indoor ranges. So it would surprise me if a range comparable to Cherry Ridge in Pennsylvania would charge much less than whatever CR charges (I could not find their prices on the website -- big surprise -- but I paid $140/yr as an over-60. I believe normal membership is about $200. Shongum or however you spell it is $205/yr plus a $150 initiation fee and there's a huge waiting list.

CR is not a litter-strewn field next to an abandoned mustard gas manufacturer in the lower Pokies. Not putting down getting a hunting license ($20-ish) and freestyle shooting at a public range, but we don't have that in NJ. We also don't have what appear to be nice mom/pop range operations. We just don't have it here. I live 4 miles from a Wildlife Management Area where I can hunt with a shotgun or .22 rifle, but they don't allow target shooting there, even for air guns. For that I have to drive 20 miles to Walpack but no handguns there, so I simply drive to CR (22 miles).

CR is six-plus ranges plus a club house with facilities where you can relax, take a nap or watch TV. It operates under strict safety rules (many think too strict, but in reality no more strict than any decent indoor place). It's a beautiful setting that can safely accommodate more than 100 shooters at a time. 

Lots of NJ residents live close enough to PA that, if shooting in your state were truly a bargain, that's where they'd shoot. At least one person on this forum does. Do others? 

If you can demonstrate a range in PA that's configured similarly to Cherry Ridge in terms of size, types of shooting, and accommodations) for significantly less than $200/yr I'll eat these words. 

Lots of NJ residents live close enough to PA that, if shooting in your state were truly a bargain, that's where they'd shoot. At least one person on this forum does. Do others?

Yes, dozens do. Most of the ones I see pay $50 a year at Easton Fish and Game but I know others from the forum that shoot elsewhere in PA as well. A lot of them shoot IDPA there. I said there is almost nothing up north by you in PA. In Lehigh Valley, there are two clubs within 5 miles in every direction. Most boroughs have a club, most townships have two or more.

If you can demonstrate a range in PA that's configured similarly to Cherry Ridge in terms of size, types of shooting, and accommodations) for significantly less than $200/yr I'll eat these words. 

I don't care what you eat, or know what your problem is, or what point you are trying to make. Go find your own gun club. Tell them how much they suck compared to Cherry Ridge and I'm sure you'll be sponsored on the spot.

Yes, dozens do. Most of the ones I see pay $50 a year at Easton Fish and Game but I know others from the forum that shoot elsewhere in PA as well. A lot of them shoot IDPA there. I said there is almost nothing up north by you in PA. In Lehigh Valley, there are two clubs within 5 miles in every direction. Most boroughs have a club, most townships have two or more.

I don't care what you eat, or know what your problem is, or what point you are trying to make. Go find your own gun club. Tell them how much they suck compared to Cherry Ridge and I'm sure you'll be sponsored on the spot.

I didn't say they sucked. I described them as "nice mom/pop." Are you some kind of commie? You don't like Mom, you don't like Pop?

We don't have as many of those places here. The closest thing I know of is a shotgun range south of Chester, tiny little place 20 miles away from Newton. I was there a couple of times. Only thing they asked me for was XX cents per clay. Great if that's all you want to do. There's a pistol range in Frankford, supposedly, but they weren't accepting new members last time I asked. Or I can drive to Walpack and throw my own clays. I don't like indoor ranges, not that they're all that close either. Very few options here. 

I guess that's why I promote my range as much as I do. Best combination of availability, proximity, versatility, price, and atmosphere FOR ME and likely anyone who lives within a half hour drive of Vernon. If I lived on the other side of the river I'm sure I'd feel differently. I certainly wouldn't be that keen about driving 90 minutes from Easton to Cherry Ridge. 

Did you hear anything, like I did at Ringwood last summer (nearby shotgun club)? I've driven on Oak Ridge and Reservoir at least 150 times and never heard a boom or a bang.

Lots of nice "survival cabins" for sale on Van Orden though!