Sign in to follow this  
Kingsoverqueens

Cross Bow Recommendation

My son, 17, wants to buy this crossbow, with his money, that he earned working his summer job.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sa-sports-175-lb-fever-crossbow-package?a=959330

This would be for target practice and eventually deer hunting.

He is considering using wooden dowel rod arrows, Dave Canterberry duel survival style.

Lord Help me.

I know nothing about crossbows, so I come to the braintrust.

I shoot a bowtech stryker and a compound both have its places if your son is just starting out  a barnet wildcat c5 is a nice  package for around $320 if he finds crossbows aren't his preference then he's not out a lot of money . most crossbows are way to powerful for wood shafts and I HIGHLY not recommend it  the package will come with carbon fiber bolts .

John

most reputable bow shops will let you shoot different crossbows go to a place shoot a few different models and see what shoots the best for you  . just like a compound you need to fit one to you my bowtech is a small compact xbow my wife shoots a parker which is a lot longer .

I considered the Fever but decided on something else - Just waiting on the OK from the bosslady :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD5B7Y4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=V5YHYI63L8S3&coliid=I1FO2EWZT0V680

Also - the included bolts will not last long with the Fever.  Wooden bolts will not last at all either.

From Amazon:

While the bow seems pretty good itself, lets look at all the "accessories" (should I say amenities?) that come with it:
ARROWS-Cheap aluminum with poorly attached fins that all broke in my first 10 mins trying to sight in the bow.
SIGHT-The bow at first was shooting about 3 feet to the right from- only 10 yards. As I tried to sight it in (remember the cheap arrows breaking in the process), I got the sight within six inches of the target when the know got so tight that the plastic knob you have to turn broke off. I went and bought a simple 3 dot sight that has worked fine and sighted in almost immediately.
STRING: within the first 20 shots the string already started fraying and had to be replaced (remember all the shots I had to take with that stingy sight and arrows? yep)

not familiar with the make/model but for that price it seems to be a good starting point. I have a strykezone 350. extremely accurate and fun to shoot. just like anything else it can be deadly so it should be treated as such. do NOT dry fire the crossbow meaning pull the trigger when its cocked with out an arrow/bolt in/on it. if that happens the limbs can split/shatter causing injury. do not use wood arrows use only bolts that's are recommended for that draw weight crossbow.

Nick

This guy is the crossbow guru and backs anything he sells 1000%.  browse his site and feel free to email him any questions he will get back to you. I picked his brain a few years ago when I got a crossbow. he was/is extremely knowledgeable and very informative.

www.wyverncreations.com