Sign in to follow this  
Big Mack

Do you need your FID card on you at all times?

Really the question I's do you need it on you going to and from the range? I recently moved from Old Bridge to Union Beach. I brought my FID/change of address form to the police station and the girl had to take the card to do the change of address. I was planning on going to r14 on Saturday but I'm not sure how it works if you don't have your FiD on you. Unless I over looked it, I didn't see anything about that on the NJSP website.

Only if you are going to buy ammo or a long.gun. You don't need a FID to own firearms in NJ. If you moved here from out of state, already owned firearms, all your forearms are NJ legal and you purchase all your ammo out of state (in PA for example) you woukd never need FID.

Also some online retailers don't require a FID to purchase ammo online.

No gun range should ever ask you for a copy of your FID if you are just going to go shoot. Some NJ gun stores ask for a FID if you want look at guns you are thinking of purchasing. As far as I know that is not a law but store policy. A not very good policy in my opinion b/c it would rub me the wrong way if I was in the middle of applying for my FID and some one refused to show me something I was considering purchasing. Their store, their rules but my money and my choice where I'll be spending it.

Really the question I's do you need it on you going to and from the range? I recently moved from Old Bridge to Union Beach. I brought my FID/change of address form to the police station and the girl had to take the card to do the change of address. I was planning on going to r14 on Saturday but I'm not sure how it works if you don't have your FiD on you. Unless I over looked it, I didn't see anything about that on the NJSP website.

Is it normal practice for the PD to take your FID for a change of address?  The reason I ask is that I had my FID replaced due to damage (it got ripped while in my wallet) and my local PD (manalapan) told me to hold on to the old one until I got the new one.

You won't find it's a crime to breathe air either!  By that I mean if you're specifically looking for "permission to DO something", you won't necessarily find it, and I'm NOT being a wise-ass!  The real question you have is covered in the TRANSPORTATION section and NOT the ownership laws.  It is there, and the real difference is:  after having obtained a NJFID (an SBI Number), as a gun owner you're allowed to DEVIATE from the "directly to and from" Rules while transporting LONG GUNS (ONLY)!  Since there is NO LAW requiring that the card actually be on your person, you are free to drive with LONG GUNS ONLY anywhere in NJ you wish (except for Schools, Military Installations and other such Gun-Free Zones) so long as you're "registered with the State Police".  Going through the NJFID process registers you with a SBI Number, so no matter how many times you move, have your card in storage, surrender it to a secretary working in the Records Bureau of a local PD because you've moved into her jurisdiction (most here will just say it's in a box somewhere from the move), get it ripped-up, etc., you still retain the same SBI number.  In fact, some OTJ will tell you that firearms ownership comes-up when your SS# is run through the SCIC (standard look-up).

As others have stated, you need the physical card when purchasing pistol ammo in NJ or when buying firearms here in NJ or in adjoining states (like at Cabela's in Free America (PA).  When you NEW card arrives with your change of address, make a photo copy of it for your wallet and keep the original in your gun safe, unless you want to buy something spur-of-the-moment......or do what I did and seal it in a plastic sleeve.  My FID card is from the early 80's.  I carry it with me so I can buy ammo whenever the mood strikes me.

Dave