Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

Aimpoint Carbine Optic

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/press/news/nyhetsvisning/article/aimpoint-launches-new-carbine-optic-192/?cHash=ba61e6dfaef96dcbce3742cb01e298de

Aimpoint, the originator and worldwide leader in electronic red dot sighting technology, has announced the introduction of a new sight designed specifically for modern sporting rifles such as the AR-15. This new product, known as the Aimpoint Carbine Optic (ACO), expands upon the company’s already proven designs and focuses these features into a high quality, entry priced optic.

This new sight was developed with the modern sporting rifle owner in mind, and the ACO is ready to mount and shoot directly out of the box. A full suite of branded accessories, such as front and rear flip covers, an anti-reflection filter, and spare battery holders are available from dealers, and allow users to customize the sight to fit their specific requirements. The ACO pairs a 30mm aluminum alloy sight tube with an extremely rugged fixed height mount designed to provide absolute co-witness with AR-15 backup iron sights. A two minute of angle (2 MOA) red dot is utilized to allow maximum target acquisition speed and accuracy at all distances. The ACO is completely waterproof, and offers one year of constant-on use from a single 1/3N battery.

Looks a lot like the Patrol Rifle Optic with a different mount and different battery... Optics Planet is listing it @ $393 at the moment.

is it the same battery?- - , shoot, shows what I know  ... didn't realize that.

Aimpoint as a whole, I love.  Absolutely love.  If I was a Special Forces type operator with the ability to choose my gear and weapons and possibly have a couple different of each, I would definitely and I mean definitely have at least one patrolling rifle set up with an Aimpoint, possibly two, a CQB-patrol rifle with just an Aimpoint (Micro maybe) and a more general-purpose rifle with an Aimpoint and perhaps their 3X.  I love them, I have two Micros, they have been awesome.

But they do seem to have a lot of overlap and models, but then again so does everyone else I guess.

As far as this goes, who knows.  I think Aimpoint had initially hit a homerun with the PRO because it was affordable and came with a serviceable mount and was all ready to go for $400 bucks.  Now I think if they were selling it for $200 bucks, it would become the best selling general-purpose optic in the AR market.

But if this is $400 and the PRO $400 , I don't get it either.

It looks like the CO is using their older CET technology, given the "1 year constant on use", and with the MSRP of $393 i'd expect the actual street price of closer to $350 or $325 before any sales/incentives. I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be sub $300.

The problem with the aimpoint line up has always been the fiendish $50 range. What I mean is that you could decide you wanted model X but then you say to yourself for only $50 more I can have X+1 and then say again for only $50 more I can have X+2 and suddently you are looking at $700 when you stared at the $450 mark. It looks to me like all they did here was move scale by -$50 so you can start lower before you are done pulling out your hair.