jackandjill

Would you give FID to NJ DMV ? 3 points

I've been using mine ever since the point system was put into place.  NO big deal at all.  One time, as soon as the woman behind the counter saw my FID, she said that's all she needed as long as the addresses matched on the DL renewal.

In fact, I'll go one better:

Years ago, somehow somebody typed-in to the DMV computer my son's middle initial incorrectly.  He was going for his "permanent" license that proves he's 21 and can drink.  I was accompanying him to do so.   His original one was "portrait" format (vertical), instead of landscape format (horizontal).  Well, the Kid behind the counter asked why the name change & we both said we wanted it "corrected".  So the Kid behind the counter interviewed us and then called-over his Supervisor.  She (the Supervisor) asked us the same exact series of questions.  So at the end of our reply to HER, I added, "Ya know, my son just received his Firearms ID Card from the Blah Blah Blah Police.  They have the CORRECT middle initial printed on his Firearms card and it matches his student ID and parking pass from Rowan in Glassboro.  Maybe the Local Cops who said he's O-K to buy GUNS and the College Cops are on to something here?"  She hesitates, pulls the original paper we filled-out the last time we were there together at the same office, and then says to the Kid, "Is this YOU, YOU filled this application?"  About 3 seconds later she says to us, "NO problem Sirs, we'll have this straightened-out in no time.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention".  Then she hands the renewal request to the SAME Kid who F-d it up the last trip and says, "please make the correction"!  Then she turns to us and says, "it will be only a few moments we're expediting it to the front of the line".

So the NJFID carries more weight than just a few points, especially if your FID matches the address on the renewal for a DL!

Dave

Satisfied DMV Customer

Yeah..... I have no issue....  In fact, when I got to the gentleman, I opened my wallet, and he noticed it.... , He said " cool, that will work also" no muss no fuss......

Do I sense a " tin foil " hat train of thought happening here.....lol

Yes, I did put little bit of that "tin foil" when I first saw that on the DMV list.  :-) You know, the state that seem to detest firearm owners, actively discourages firearm ownership lists FID as the document with 3 points.

I would not.   First, my digital DL is 4 points, and all it need is a tax bill and something else and I'm in.

Just curious, I don't understand the "would not" as if you are trying to protect or hide something.  Can you explain? as oppose to just saying, "didn't need it"?

I usually use mine when i renew. Never had a sideways look from any DMV worker because of it. I also usually use Newton DMV in the Heart of Sussex County. Most people around here own guns, its normal and not a secret or surprise. I don't actually know too many people around here that don't own guns. Wish the rest of our state was that way.

Do they make copy or otherwise note the FID # in the DMV system ? I am thinking of that MD scenario where a guy was allegedly followed and pulled over for having FL CCW that showed up on routine license plate scan.

Note: Dont worry, I have extra layer of tinfoil this morning :-)

No they just look at it and hand it back to you like any other document. They don't write down your bank account number and monthly balance when you hand them your bank statement for proof of residence either. Your FID card is a useless piece of paper to anyone else but you.