OfcrFek

1911 80% lower by Ares Armor??

I don't think I would consider something like this, especially in this felony-laden state. I think money and time would be better spent on even something like a Rock Island.

Although Federal law and many states allows it, completing this would make you an illegal manufacturer in NJ. It also takes a lot more skill and equipment to do machining processes like the slide rails. A 1911 also takes more skill in fitting parts than building your own AR. You are also going to spend a lot more for parts than going out and buying a basic 1911.

Maybe if you lived in another state but I would steer clear of any 80% receiver in NJ.

I wouldn't risk it, even if it is 100% legal.

A likely scenario in NJ will be you get arrested for no P2P and said firearm confiscated. Meantime you'll spend $$$$$ fighting the arrest. Even if you eventually get a dismissal, you're out a lot of $$$$.

Why risk the persecution it when you get a perfectly made 1911 out of the box?

It also takes a lot more skill and equipment to do machining processes like the slide rails. A 1911 also takes more skill in fitting parts than building your own AR. You are also going to spend a lot more for parts than going out and buying a basic 1911.

+1

Don't forget the barrel lug link length or the safety radius cut discussions.

Also, in the article, the author writes, "Just pick up some basic 1911 parts and get started."  In the accompanying video, the narrator says people use drill presses or Dremels to cut the rails, but that he is going to use a milling machine to be "as precise as possible." That should tell you everything you need to know.

Option: Buy it, take into free state, build it, bring it back into NJ.

I had asked a few people on here if it would be legal to do that w/ an 80% lower on an AR and I was told no because the law is nationwide throught the ATF. So is it legal to do that, or isn't it?

I would NEVER mess with this 1911 lower tho... some cop asks you why it doesn't have a serial number, they'll FIND a reason to slap you with a felony in this state..

I had asked a few people on here if it would be legal to do that w/ an 80% lower on an AR and I was told no because the law is nationwide throught the ATF. So is it legal to do that, or isn't it?

You asked in a post? Link?

I would NEVER mess with this 1911 lower tho... some cop asks you why it doesn't have a serial number, they'll FIND a reason to slap you with a felony in this state..

its legal to complete an 80% lower just about anywhere except within NJ. Its legal to own an 80% lower here complete or not the act of actually completing the lower on NJ soil is the crime.

You asked in a post? Link?

No, I had PM'd a few people I knew were LEO in NJ on here for their opinion, and all of them said they believed it was a no go. And of course, I looked back in my PM's and they weren't there. -.- I don't think I've deleted anythng on here, does the site auto delete PM's over a year old?

Reguardless, so everyone is saying it's ok if you possess a completed one, as long as YOU complete it, it IS NJ compliant, and it was finished OUTSIDE the state of NJ??

Well I'll be....

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18 U.S.C. § 922(o),®; 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

So, what make's it not ok to do it here? A state law saying so?

So, what make's it not ok to do it here? A state law saying so?

YES

ETA: Sorry, took me about 2 minutes to find it.

2C:58-1. Registration of manufacturers and wholesale dealers of firearms

a. Registration. Every manufacturer and wholesale dealer of firearms shall register with the superintendent as provided in this section. No person shall engage in the business of, or act as a manufacturer or wholesale dealer of firearms, or manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm, until he has so registered.

YES

ETA: Sorry, took me about 2 minutes to find it.

Can't tell if your annoyed I didn't google it myself, or if you legit posted and then edited the statute in. Regardless, sorry for my ignorance.

I still wouldn't mess with these in NJ though. Would you beat it if a cop decided to wrongly arrest you for possession of it, even after you went to a state where it's legal and made one and brought it back? Probably. But I'm not looking to beat a wrongful arrest. I'm looking to not spend a night or 2 in general population in the county jail. :D

Can't tell if your annoyed I didn't google it myself, or if you legit posted and then edited the statute in. Regardless, sorry for my ignorance.

Not annoyed. Just bragging about my speed. :asciidity:

Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks,and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.

Not being a lawyer but just going but what was discussed at the recent ATF seminar

that was held on Thursday - you cannot "take it outside of NJ , build it and then bring it back"!

The final machine work to convert an 80% lower, frame, whatever constitutes "Manufacturing" and

as such, requires a Type 7 FFL in ANY state. So the way i see it, if you take it outside of NJ, and you

build it in "Free America" - you still need to have a type 7 or your in violation of the law.

Now - are there loopholes? possibly, but personally i wouldn't venture in tha tdirection because the

legal hassles far outweigh the rewards (IMO) 

Yep! State law! ATF says its legal to do so Federally. NJ says "not while you live here it isn't!" Don't forget to vote for pro2A candidates next month.

Can you show me where ATF law says it's legal to mfg. w/o a type 7 - I'm curious......?????

Can you show me where ATF law says it's legal to mfg. w/o a type 7 - I'm curious......?????

Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and ®, 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Let me add this. The above quoted FAQ was from ATF. It is not a law. Laws are made to restrict or make things illegal. Your search should be for a law that prohibits the making of firearms, not one that allows it. 

Just curious, and I haven't read up enough, but would Type 7 only be for sales and distribution?  If I'm just building it for myself....