As I've stated several times I'm relatively new to handguns.

I just submitted for 3 purchase permits, which I should receive in about 30 days. I'd like to break into a new caliber (and eliminate one old caliber -- see below). 

I'm buying a CZ 9mm semiauto. They're heavy and large but I've been extremely impressed with the CZ 82 in 9x18 (Makarov). No failures of any kind after 1000+ rounds. Great reviews of CZs.

I'd also like to purchase a 9mm revolver. Any suggestions? I'm not crazy about the snubbies since there's no reason for a NJ resident to own one. At the same time the S&W Miculek series is too f-ing long and on the expensive side. Suggestions?

Any suggestions for the 3rd permit? I have a pistol and revolver in .22, a .380 (Sig p238) which I'm going to sell, and two .357 magnum revolvers which I love if it is possible to love a gun.

I'm not interested in another caliber, at least not for now, or unless somebody convinces me. IMO .45s are too expensive to shoot 1000 rounds/year with. Just my opinion.

A 9mm revolver huh? That kind of slims down the field real fast, unless Taurus makes something - being a S&W snob, not something I'd consider. You don't like the Miculek S&W (929) that only leaves the 986 - which is a 7-shot L-frame with a 5" barrel. You may already have an L-frame if one of your current .357's is a Smith.

There were other S&W 9's, but they are no longer made. The 940 was a J-frame (small snubbie) and the 547 was a K-frame (medium size - smaller than the L-frame) and had a complicated extractor that precluded the use of moon clips. It was a 3" or 4" barrel with fixed sights. Both are now relegated to the collector's category and bring big bucks.

From your stipulations the 986 is the only game in town. If it were me, the 929 would win hands down because it gives you the option of playing gun games.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Interested in striker-fired polymer? Walther PPQ and HK VP9 are my picks there. I've never fired one, but the Sig Sauer P320 seems interesting. Fire control group is serialized, so frames are interchangable without needing a new permit. Can convert from full size, to compact, to sub-compact. Each frame size is also going to be (eventually) available with three different grip sizes. But I don't think all the frame sizes are even out yet.

9mm is .45 set to stun. Real men don't use stun. ;)

1000 rounds a year? What's the cost difference, a hundred bucks a year? As long as you are buying by the case and not by the box. That shouldn't be a deal killer.

With that low of a round count you could get into handloading very cheap and painlessly.

I own both the Sig 226 and the S&W Shield in 9mm. Both are great guns. If I could only have one it would be the shield. The gun just does everything right.

However the 226 is no slouch. A big plus is the 22LR conversion kit. Provided you can find 22lr in stock it makes it cheaper to practice with.