lunker

Recommendations on rear iron sight

I am very used to using the standard carry handle A2 sights on my BCM A4 rifle. It is a pleasure to shoot and I only wish I could stretch the rifle's legs a bit more. My range up here in New Hampshire only goes to 300 yards. I am looking forward to visiting another nearby club with a 600 yard rifle range and trying my 75 grain Hornady HPBT handloads. 

With the recent price drop in ARs, I picked up a Colt 6920 from CDNN last week. It came with a fold-down Magul BUIS. I have an Aimpoint T1 on the rail and I would like a rear sight that is fixed and not flip. Considering that it is a carbine, am I better off going with an LMT A2 setup, or a Daniel Defense A1.5 (A1 sight adjustment with A2 apertures)? I have also been thinking about the LaRue same plane fixed rear sight. As for improving my shooting, am I better off getting a same plane sight and just learning the holdovers for different distances? I plan to use the irons as much as the red dot. 

As for cowitness, do most folks use different cheek welds, a higher one for irons and lower one for optics. Or is the cheek weld the same and you are always looking through two sets of sights? If that were the case I would think it might make sense to have a 6 o'clock sight picture for the irons and a combat sight picture for the red dot, so that the front sight does not obscure the target. Does anyone have any thought on this? I would rather learn first and only spend once (for a change).   

Thanks in advance. 

Sorry bro, I am a bit confused. Are you looking to regularly line up both sight systems, RDS and BUIS?

If you have the T1 why do you want a fixed rear sight? Are you planning on taking the T1 off and running irons only? If so, the DD, LaRue, Troy or LMT fixed will serve you well.

If the T1 is going to be your primary sight stay with folding BUIS.

For folding BUIS Troy is the standard. I have also had good success with the GG&G MAD.

What height mount do you have on the T1? Absolute, lower 1/3, or something in between. That will determine your cheek mount. In reality, it doesn't really change the position of your cheek, more a degree of how much you "squish" it down on the stock.

Anyway, I prefer lower 1/3 RDS with fold away Troy BUIS. I see no reason for a fixed rear iron sight if I am rocking a quality red dot optic.

I do have a few MBUIS sets as placeholders and work supplies GGG MAD sights for work guns.

I'm with H.E. Not sure why you would want to do this.

If it were me, I'd get a good quality QD mount for the T1 (LaRue makes a great one), and go with a flip up BUIS. I have found that I refer a lower 1/3 co-witness, but whatever is most comfortable for you.

My preference is for a Matech flip up. It is elevation adjustable to 600m. Relatively inexpensive, they can be had for $50 or under if you look around.

KAC also makes an excellent, range adjustable flip up rear sight. It's more expensive than the Matech, though.

Both of these flip ups are great choices and are very rugged.

Thanks for the responses all. As a father of a one year old, my brain has turned to mush by midnight so I probably could've been more clear. I simply have a preference for the robustness of fixed sights and fixed fsb. 

HE, that was helpful. The squish is what I was thinking, so I can make use of lower 1/3 cowitness. An absolute cowitness makes the sight picture very busy to be using full-time. 

DT, I will look at the MaTech and if I don't go with a fixed rear sight, that looks like a really good candidate. 

Is there enough value in a consistent manual of arms between the BCM A4 and this Colt Carbine that it is worth it to use the LMT or a chopped handle rear sight? 

If you care, Troy. If you care a little, Magpul.

If you are talking flip-up vs. carry handle, anything that screws on to your upper shouldn't be better than a Troy.

If you are shooting at 600 some of the time, and 0-300 the rest of the time, you really have only two sight settings at most. If you have to go 0-600 and can't afford 3" deviation from a ballistic card then you need some glass IMO.

I love the matech and always wind up going back to that one for what it's worth......

I won't use troy (everyone knows why by now)

I won't use arms any longer (big dem supporter)

I'm now back to the basics in pri, matech, and kac......

my political views get expensive as I'm having to change out sights!   lol

I love the matech and always wind up going back to that one for what it's worth......

I won't use troy (everyone knows why by now)

I won't use arms any longer (big dem supporter)

I'm now back to the basics in pri, matech, and kac......

my political views get expensive as I'm having to change out sights!   lol

Same reason you shop at Dicks?

Troy never fucked over a thousand gun owners or supported AWB in our time of need.

I run Magpul MBUS Pro (front and rear) on my AR. Aimpoint PRO with stock mount, and probably going to add a 3x magnifier.

Really happy with the sights. I have a piston upper, so going with the standard MBUS up front wasn't an option. The Pro sights are really compact compared to some of the other back up irons I've seen.

Thanks for the responses all. As a father of a one year old, my brain has turned to mush by midnight so I probably could've been more clear. I simply have a preference for the robustness of fixed sights and fixed fsb. 

HE, that was helpful. The squish is what I was thinking, so I can make use of lower 1/3 cowitness. An absolute cowitness makes the sight picture very busy to be using full-time. 

DT, I will look at the MaTech and if I don't go with a fixed rear sight, that looks like a really good candidate. 

Is there enough value in a consistent manual of arms between the BCM A4 and this Colt Carbine that it is worth it to use the LMT or a chopped handle rear sight?

The Troy folding BUIS are plenty robust. I would put them on par with any fixed BUIS with no hesitation. The Matech had a problem with the cross bolt breaking. They were good about sending replacements but it pissed off the Army pretty badly.

For fixed front sights, I am with you. All of my social guns have standard "A" front sight assemblies.

Not sure what you mean about consistent manual of arms between BCM and Colt. They are both ARs, so the manual of arms is identical for both. As far as the rear sight, if you are using a T1, the BUIS are truly going to be "Back Ups". Other than in training to shoot with irons, I have never ever had to flip by BUIS because of an optic issue (I have all T1 and PRO optics). I wouldn't stress about it.

If you are going to be shooting anything where the elevation adjustments on an A1/A2 rear sight assembly are going to matter then sure, but otherwise, the T1 with a 50/200 zero will serve you fine beyond 300 yards.