gleninjersey

WHAT REACTION DO GET WHEN YOU TELL PEOPLE YOU OWN FIREARMS?

Was just curious what reaction you get from people when you tell them you are a gun owner. When I purchased my first gun, a Ruger GP100, my wife didn't want me discussing it, especially with any of our childrens friends parents. She was worried they wouldn't allow their kids over to the house for playdates.

We would be socializing (Bday parties, school fundraisers, etc) and someone would mention firearms. First time we were at a friends 40th Bday party and at the kitchen table with several couples. One person was talking about how they had been clay shooting recently. I inquired if they owned a shotgun or hunted and we began talking. They didn't own one or hunt but were interested in getting one but had been told it was virtually impossible to buy a gun in NJ. Other people at the table said they too were interested in possible purchasing a firearm but had no idea how to do go about it and had also heard it was too difficult and not worth the time/hassle or that it costs a lot of money to apply to get a gun.

I just looked at my wife and she said, "Fine.....go ahead." Everyone looked at me and I told them we had recently purchased our first handgun. I explained the process and that it wasn't difficult or expensive at all.

Other times people will ask what I did this past weekend. I'll tell them the usual "worked around the yard, ran errands, watched this or that." Some times I include, " I meet some friends and went shooting in Easton." This opens the door to door for queations.

I get asked a lot if I hunt? I tell them not yet but that I recently got my hunters license and am looking forward to it. Some people who are a little surprised I tell, "Well I did live in Texas for 10 years." For some reason this seems to remove some of the negativity, at least in my perception, from them. They usually reply, "Oh, that explains it." That is kind of strange.

The only slightly negative response was from a woman who immediately asked if I had a safe. As soon as I told her my safe was larger than her she was fine with the idea.

For the most part the reactions I've received are positive and people want to know more about the process of how to apply, where to buy one, where to get lessons, etc.

Was curious as to what reactions others who willingly share their hobby/gun ownership receive from people.

The only slightly negative response was from a woman who immediately asked if I had a safe. As soon as I told her my safe was larger than her she was fine with the idea.

I don't know if "Ma'am, my safe could hide your body for years" is quite the response she was looking for.  ;)

At my job there are alot of gun owners so I have no worries there, but around my kids friends parents I keep it somewhat low key. If the subject comes up I just tell them I am from Detroit and they are like oh OK that explains it. I did convert my Wife about a year or so ago and she now owns a first gen Glock 17. (she is a Jersey Girl)

I'm definitely selective with who I share that info with but those who know are interested and fascinated and either have gone shooting or want to. That being said, while I don't offer the information to just anyone, I also don't deny it. Even in the great state of New Jersey where guns are taboo, it's apparently ok with someone "normal" like me owns them.

I have a greater than 50% conversion after taking newbies to the range. And it's easy when they only need one other reference for their paperwork.

When I tell someone I'd happily take them to the range, my guns, my ammo, just to see if they like it. They seldom say no. And when they do, they're concerned about safety until I tell them about my RSO credentials.

Long story short, they're probably interested too. They're just like you and are waiting for someone else to bring it up first.

Found out more people are OK with it than you would think. Or, people own guns but don't really shoot them. "I bought it awhile ago, I figured it would be good to have". I've offered to bring people to the range, but have yet to have anyone take up the offer. 

You'd be surprised how many strangers from Jersey thank me for "exercising my rights" or some other such thing at the grocery store. I live near the border and we have a lot of Jersey and a smattering of NY shoppers on a weekly basis. So there may be a few good ones over there, or at least ones that are trying.

I had a French couple behind me at a checkout and they nearly fainted, but quickly regained their composure and seemed to find me a curiosity. I don't speak French, unfortunately. In retrospect I'm disappointed I didn't speak to them, but I was tired and in a rush.

You have to proceed cautiously and feel someone out.  I would avoid a group setting; one on one is  better.  I usually mention current news and then bring up a current gun control example thrown in and see the response I get.   Or, I talk about the Bill of Rights, and of course then I can discuss the 2nd Amendment.  Anti-gun people can be exceedingly close-minded, but they are all of varying degrees in their beliefs from calling for an out and out ban, to someone only agree to one being allowed to have hunting stuff.   On the other hand, the curious and interested, once they realize you are not a kook, well, they always have questions for you once they know you are a gun person.... "My friend inherited a World War II Japanese Rifle.  How does he transport it, and what might it be worth?"

The thing is that most people won't see you differently, or judge you.  But some might.  And, then there are people that you tell that might compromise your belongings, or tell someone else who might compromise your belongings or judge you... Someone with a closet drug addiction for example.

There really isn't any reason to share details about your firearms with strangers, but if you do, just bring out carefully chosen statements in a matter-of-factl way, like you expect everyone to be a gun owner and avoid catch phrases like the controversial "AK47, Glock, Black Rifles, Assault Rifles, etc..."   Sometimes I find it is better to talk about ammunition, first.  Like,
"I cannot believe that 22s are $90 a brick", or "There is a sale on 12 gauge slugs".

You have to proceed cautiously and feel someone out.  I would avoid a group setting; one on one is  better.  I usually mention current news and then bring up a current gun control example thrown in and see the response I get.   Or, I talk about the Bill of Rights, and of course then I can discuss the 2nd Amendment.  Anti-gun people can be exceedingly close-minded, but they all of varying degrees from out and out ban, to someone only being allowed to have hunting stuff.   On the other hand, the curious and interested, once they realize you are not a kook, well, they always have questions for you once they know you are a gun person.... "My friend inherited a World War II Japanese Rifle.  How does he transport it, and what might it be worth?"

Dealing with antis in Jersey I've sort of found the opposite to be true. When I was a little younger, NJ resident, and a little more quiet about such things antis would bring the conversation to a halt rather quickly. Now that I will discuss the subject with confidence at the drop of a hat they expend their powder rather quickly. I've also found most antis are not antis, they are just ignorant. Most antis can become neutral very quickly when they learn that gun ownership/carry is normal and NOT something I am ashamed of. Especially when it comes up more than once. Eventually they'll start coming to me with questions or bringing it up to the "gun guy" as a neutral topic.

The dyed in the wool antis tend to become emotionally unconvinced but intellectually tolerant.

Then again, I haven't run into Sharon Watts or her boyfriend Bloomdouche yet :)

You'd probably read about it if I did. :)

Was just curious what reaction you get from people when you tell them you are a gun owner. When I purchased my first gun, a Ruger GP100, my wife didn't want me discussing it, especially with any of our childrens friends parents. She was worried they wouldn't allow their kids over to the house for playdates.

We would be socializing (Bday parties, school fundraisers, etc) and someone would mention firearms. First time we were at a friends 40th Bday party and at the kitchen table with several couples. One person was talking about how they had been clay shooting recently. I inquired if they owned a shotgun or hunted and we began talking. They didn't own one or hunt but were interested in getting one but had been told it was virtually impossible to buy a gun in NJ. Other people at the table said they too were interested in possible purchasing a firearm but had no idea how to do go about it and had also heard it was too difficult and not worth the time/hassle or that it costs a lot of money to apply to get a gun.

I just looked at my wife and she said, "Fine.....go ahead." Everyone looked at me and I told them we had recently purchased our first handgun. I explained the process and that it wasn't difficult or expensive at all.

Other times people will ask what I did this past weekend. I'll tell them the usual "worked around the yard, ran errands, watched this or that." Some times I include, " I meet some friends and went shooting in Easton." This opens the door to door for queations.

I get asked a lot if I hunt? I tell them not yet but that I recently got my hunters license and am looking forward to it. Some people who are a little surprised I tell, "Well I did live in Texas for 10 years." For some reason this seems to remove some of the negativity, at least in my perception, from them. They usually reply, "Oh, that explains it." That is kind of strange.

For the most part the reactions I've received are positive and people want to know more about the process of how to apply, where to buy one, where to get lessons, etc.

Was curious as to what reactions others who willingly share their hobby/gun ownership receive from people.

Careful who you tell about your firearms... unless you want a crowd knocking on your door next time the lights go out :)

I live and work in Sussex county. I also work in Morris and Warren counties. I don't really run into anti gun people often. Im in people's homes every day in my line of work, I can walk in the front door and within 5 seconds of scanning my eyes around the room tell a lot about the people that live there. Once I'm in their basement I know everything about them lol. Often I will see a basement with a reloading bench or a gun safe. If the homeowner seems cool I may say hey how do you like that Hornaday press? I've been using my Lee for years. And the conversation begins about guns. I had one customer start talking about his deer problems, I jokingly told him I would be more than happy to help him remove some of them. Then the conversation moved to hunting he was very interested in learning to hunt. Then he shifted the conversation to guns asked me if i knew how to buy them here, so I explained everything to him. Last time I was there he had acquired his FID. Most of my experiences with people are good when it comes to talking about firearms, maybe its just because I live in a part of the state where most people think normally.

Last place I worked went through the period before and after Newtown. They were the strangest. I had taken one guy to the range and he ended up getting an M&P and used me as a reference. That then started our co workers talking about "anyone that would put a gun in That guy's hands is a moron," in a mostly joking tone. I had hoped I would have more people wanting to go to the range but no one seemed interested to go, just to ask me about stuff.

They like talking about the guns I owned and why I chose them (this is the 5 guys in my dept.) I've got 4 handguns, a Mossberg 500 and an old bolt .22 with no magazine.

Well before long those same jokers,needing to make jokes, would say things like "going home to polish your gun collection?" And when I say jokers I mean they were seriously just throwing out jokes. It wasn't meant to tease or in any way insult. It bothered me though that this was how they might refer to me outside of the group that I had no problem telling about my guns. Not "dave's a good guy and knowledgeable about firearms" but "yea Dave's a gun nut with 60 guns hahaha!" And again, they didn't mean it that way, but they would say it and once some people hear that, well, we know where that goes. I ended up making any conversation about it much shorter and less in depth. Then Newtown happened.

I found out way to many people outside the department knew I had guns. Everyday more knew it seemed. Sure enough, the guys that said I had a gun "collection" had marked me. Everyday for about a week I had a conversation with people I barely knew about the guns I own. Luckily I give off a very mature and responsible vibe so the discussions were civil, but it made me feel a little betrayed.

Around where I live I don't talk about it much. One neighbor saw me put my cased shotgun on the trunk one day and he waved. Some time later he decided he had an issue with another neighbor's dog and he told my wife "your husband has a gun right? He can take of that dog." She felt the same way I did - it wasn't funny to talk about shooting the neighbor's dog (I love that dog, no idea why he hates him) and "is this what you think of me ?"

So although I get mostly positive reactions when I talk about my ownership of guns, I always look to what revealing it means in the long run.

I personally don't have an issue divulging the fact that I own guns to anyone....If they have a problem with that fact it remains their problem not mine.

However I don't go out of my way to start a conversation about firearms or my owning them and in the rare occurrence that it does come up among those who are not in my close circle of friends it's usually those friends that mention it in passing.

The reactions have been mixed but for the most part I get "You don't appear the type" what ever the "type" is.....after that I leave well enough alone till someone approaches me with other questions or thoughts.

You have to proceed cautiously and feel someone out.  I would avoid a group setting; one on one is  better...

Precisely!  I live in a 6-unit block townhouse building. Of my other 5 neighbors, two have "single digit" children who would be just perfect to mentor. Unfortunately, one of those other neighbors is the block's "busy body" and a die hard liberal/anti.  I can't risk "outing" myself to the other neighbors as he'd surely find out and want to cause me trouble. If they ever pass any of that Calif. style "psychiatric tattling on your neighbors...." BS here, I would not put it past him to be first in line to come after me or anyone he knows to be an owner. So, I sit and await the appropriate opportunity.

In general, I also stay "low profile" for people I don't know to be owners. Most of my business clients and associates are like this. Many are also strong anti, and wouldn't be my clients if they knew I was an owner/pro-2A. I think maybe only my business lawyer and one additional networking partner knows (in fact, he was one of my references).  Half of my family is strong liberal/anti. The other half is not. They know all about me. In fact, my sister has entrusted me to mentor her two children (she is NJ Natl. Guard but has not interest in training them).

As stated, it's all about waiting for the right opportunity and making the right approach. 

There really isn't any reason to share details about your firearms with strangers, but if you do, just bring out carefully chosen statements in a matter-of-factl way, like you expect everyone to be a gun owner and avoid catch phrases like the controversial "AK47, Glock, Black Rifles, Assault Rifles, etc..."   Sometimes I find it is better to talk about ammunition, first.  Like,

"I cannot believe that 22s are $90 a brick", or "There is a sale on 12 gauge slugs".

Precisely, again!  Definitely "need to know." And very few are "read in" to this SAP :D   Trust me. I want to come out of the closet. But as long as I live in the PRNJ, I have to be extremely careful. In the past 3 weeks I've been in FL,  I've felt so much more at ease. I've CC'ed all over the place.  And now, just as I've really started to get comfortable, I have to return to the PRNJ :(   Still, there is hope. I hope I can begin to mentor at least one of my neighbors' kids. And I hope I can find those "on the bubble" and get them over to the "pro-2A" side.   

I'm a Marked Man.  I fear NO ONE.  After Dad taught us 45 years ago, I've always felt comfortable chatting about it.  I believe it to be patriotic, part of everyone's civil responsibilities as an American.

When my son was just getting started with firearms (21 years ago, at age 4), we'd let other kids' parents know to not worry about them and that they were all secured.  Number of play dates lost:  ZERO!  Years later, my son got involved in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.  So when it came to the shooting sports, I was put in-charge of operations:  teaching safety, shooting, instruction, the works!  I just told the scouts to not brag about it around school because I didn't want to get robbed.  Back then nobody was worried about what everybody THOUGHT, because the THOUGHT POLICE wasn't formed YET, lol!

Fast-forward to today and most of my friends are either gun owners, competitive shooters in at least one shooting discipline (I'm a Shootist, so I compete with rifles, pistols, shotguns, and black powder arms) or are adult Scout Leaders (my son Eagled in 2006 and I still volunteer--in fact I'm on the Shooting Sports Committee for my local BSA Council in Marlboro).  I'm also very active with the Second Amendment Women Shooting Club that Sandy (a member here) is Co-Chairwoman of, so I mentor to help and make the acquaintance of very active Pro-2A women who are very eager to chat about guns.

In the past, when I owned my own business, sometimes the conversations would come around to guns.  I gave female clients 12 ga. slugs after learning their kitchen was visited by a 400 pound bear.  I took a couple of them shooting.  I've gotten jobs (several times--too many to count!) BECAUSE I'm a member of a Gun Club.  I once showed my .45 ACP Colt to a FBI Special Agent who was a client (and she let her husband handle it after I "cleared" it).  I could go on and on.

In closing, you'd be surprised at the sheer number of fellow gun owners out there.  Especially WOMEN who are of the mindset to be in-charge of their own destiny.  Who don't wish to become victims.  So chatting-up firearms for me is as about as easy as breathin', lol!  Besides, I usually just tell 'em, "Hi, I'm Dave and I like to play with EXPLOSIVES!".  Then I watch for a hint of a smile or a giggle.....and I GOT 'EM! 

I personally would ask the parents for there political views before allowing my child in thier home... Liberalism is far more dangerous then my guns will ever be.

Give each new set of prospective parents a form to fill out.  On that form will be the exact same questions one will find on an application for a NJFID.  Watch them sweat.

I'm the first gun owner among my core group of friends. All but two were strongly against, but I still talked openly about it, met all the media driven arguments against guns, etc.

There are now 4 more and two who are thinking about it. All of them have now been to the range with me or someone else.

I grew up shooting and having guns and most everyone I grew up with had guns in their homes too or at least knew I had guns. My dad used to take me and my friends shooting clays almost every weekend when I was in middle school. I never hide the fact that I am a gun owner and I have only ever run into one anit that I know of. I met her while riding off road through the jungle of Belize while traveling to a Mayan Temple. She was a hippie from Arizona and at first was disgusted that I own guns let alone AR's. The topic came up because we ran into some soldiers training and they were carrying M16s so I started talking guns with them because our truck was stuck in the mud. At first she was very closed minded but during our 2 hour discussion I could tell she had started to turn a corner. By the end of the day she admitted that her opinion of guns and gun owners had changed. I have kept in touch with her and as of now she is the owner of a S&W 686 and an AR and sends me videos of her renting and shooting full auto rifles. She admitted to me that she has had more fun and met more nice people at the ranges this year than she has in the past 10 years of her life. Personally I don't see the point to keep the fact that I own guns a secret and I don't care about other peoples opinion of me. So if someone doesn't want to talk to me or let their kid over my house because I own guns  that's ok with me because I don't want someone that closed minded around me or my family anyway. If an anti can be open minded enough to have a conversation about gun ownership id bet that just by taking about responsible gun ownership with them most likely they can be converted 

You'd be surprised how many strangers from Jersey thank me for "exercising my rights" or some other such thing at the grocery store. I live near the border and we have a lot of Jersey and a smattering of NY shoppers on a weekly basis. So there may be a few good ones over there, or at least ones that are trying.

I had a French couple behind me at a checkout and they nearly fainted, but quickly regained their composure and seemed to find me a curiosity. I don't speak French, unfortunately. In retrospect I'm disappointed I didn't speak to them, but I was tired and in a rush.

You should have told them, Allez-y, faire ma journée

My immediate neighbors know because they've seen me carry stuff to my car on range days, or returning home from hunting. I've had some positive nods when opening my trunk in the ShopRite parking lot (my target stand is back there). Haven't seen anyone walk briskly past averting their eyes but there have probably been a few of those as well. 

That's "open carry" New Jersey Style! "Proud to keep my target stand in my trunk!" Yeah!

Other than that I tell people on a need-to-know basis, which is almost non-existent. 

I moved from Sussex county, where it seemed like everyone had some sort of gun or another to Morris county, where I was way too busy working to tell if anyone had any guns, and then ultimately to Monmouth county.  Now it seems like everyone I associate with has guns and is involved with hunting or shooting.

It might be the people that I associate with, most if not all are parents of my children and most of my close friends are youth football coaches like me.  And it seems like most of the other youth football coaches are either cops, retired cops or avid hunters, and all are active shooters.

At first my wife would shoosh me any time I started talking about guns until she realized everyone else shoots and has guns and now she is fine.

Most of my friend's reactions ranges from terrifying 'whom do you plan to kill?' (from very conservative crowd btw) to total lack of interest.
They are probably tired hearing about all things I already enthusiastically do :)

I went to a shooting range with one friend and he applied for fpid next day though.

Everyone knows I have guns, friends, co-workers, relative, etc...  If they express a disinterest when I bring up the subject then I stop talking about it.  If they start saying bad things about guns, I try to educate them.  But so far everyone I know has no problem with it, even those that would never own guns themselves.

You should have told them, Allez-y, faire ma journée. 

That was hilarious :D

I can figure out German and Spanish fairly well, but I guess my French is so much worse than non-existent I had no idea what that meant. It was like an Easter Egg ;)

That's "open carry" New Jersey Style! "Proud to keep my target stand in my trunk!" Yeah!

ROFLS, that's also hilarious. I remember a guy here years ago (I hope he's not still here/insulted by this) Thought he was a bad ass because he pushed a shopping cart through a store with a box of ammo and actually convinced himself some people recognized the box of ammo and became nervous about it :D

That was hilarious :D

I can figure out German and Spanish fairly well, but I guess my French is so much worse than non-existent I had no idea what that meant. It was like an Easter Egg ;)

I had to go to a free translation site for that one. Looks like they translated it literally; I'm sure the idiom is incorrect.