gleninjersey

WHAT REACTION DO GET WHEN YOU TELL PEOPLE YOU OWN FIREARMS?

The vast majority when told are inquisitive about them...alot of times wifes/moms I talk to ask about the process to get a firearm and then tell their husbands they should get one for the house...some ask to tag along to a range...I always oblige...I dont boast I own firearms....and I never hide the fact when asked by someone I know

Some of my NJ family is anti but they've gotten over it. I don't care, I'll talk about guns any chance I get.

I think I told this one before.

I was at an assisted living home for a 90 year birthday party for my grandma. Big deal. Of course, it's packed with all sorts of old people from parts of what is supposedly my family but probably as closely related to me as Obama for that matter. I get introduced to some old Italian south jersey dude and somehow guns come up. I show him my PA LTCF.

He says, "Oh, I got one of those, too."

Me: "In New Jersey? You have a New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun?"

Him: "Yeah."

Me: "That's amazing. Are you a retired cop? How did you get it?"

Him: "I just gave them the fingerprints and the fee, so I can buy guns."

Me: "Oh, that's not what mine is. Mine is for carrying a loaded, concealed handgun."

Him: "Oh. That's cool. But then what do you have to get to buy a gun?"

Me: "Nothing. Just go to a gun store and buy it."

I watch the deliberation in his 70+ old face as he considers this for about 5 seconds.

Him: "New Jersey sucks."

Me: "I know exactly what you mean!"

Even at liberal Democrat anti South Jersey old folks party most people know the deal if you bring it up!

Some of my NJ family is anti but they've gotten over it. I don't care, I'll talk about guns any chance I get.

My entire family is anti, inlaws and outlaws. Even my ultra-conservative father.

They know I've had long guns for 20+ years. I don't even mention the handguns. Not worth it.

Wife, I must say, has been pretty good about my infatuation with pistols and revolvers, and was interested in my five Mosin projects. At some level she's fascinated by my shooting. Even asks about "how it went" when I go to the range. Only time I took her to CR she mentioned that she could see herself doing "that" at some point. 

The couple of times guns have come up at friends' it was always they who brought it up. I take "I shot that f-ing raccoon" or "I grew up shooting" to be an opening. Wifey has been shocked/surprised to see that people she actually likes (as opposed to me :) ) enjoy shooting. 

The Boss is a project I approach gingerly. 

But family gatherings, forget it. My bro and sis and their families, and wife's bros and sis, subscribe to the Loretta Whineberg interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

If I were 30 I'd push back. At this age, screw it.

No point ruining a nice dinner.

You know how many you have?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

:)

Last time I discussed this with a family member was about 15 months ago, with my very anti-gun nephew. "So how many guns do you take with you when you shoot?"

His point was "how many guns does a person need?"

"I don't know."

Truth: I know exactly; But I take a little bit of everything just in case. Between the safe and the stairs it takes me 20 minutes to fetch what I want and load up the car. None of the little twerp's business.

"You mean you have no idea how many guns you take? How many do  you have?"

Duhhhhh.

That's why I try not to bring up the subject. 

It's actually mixed mostly between:

1. "OMG me too...what do you shoot" - I was surprised how many friends were closet firearms owners.

2. "Nice...I always heard shooting was really fun" - these friends always want to go again or get their FID after a range session.

So far I've never gotten the ultra liberal "all guns should be banned" rant. But I tend to avoid discussing firearms those people (non-friends). But even my uber liberal friends say "I personally don't like guns, but I know you do and that's cool."

I guess birds of a feather really do tend to flock together.

I do not tell people about my firearms the same way I do not tell them about my sex life, religion or politics. I see no reason to tell anyone.

Your situation may be a little different.  It is much more accepted in Florida that people own and (gasp) may even be carrying one.  I understand why one may not want some people to know (questionable neighbors you don't know well, vehement anti's, etc).

In NJ I think by not sharing our experiences, knowlege and facts of firearms it only adds to the negative stigma that is the norm here.  The more people begin to realize their friends, coworkers neighbors, etc own guns and enjoy going to the range the more socially acceptable it becomes.  Gun owners are no longer criminals, gun nuts, etc but people they already know, are comfortable with and interact with and see on a regular basis.  The myth/sterotype of what a gun owner looks like is slowly erased.