tommyfeds

Spent Saturday night with some stripper.......

.......and some sandpaper

I know some may have an issue with this type of behavior, however................. there are many like it, but this one is mine...........

All numbers match on this rifle, however it's a refurb with the BBQ paint job. Stock was in "just ok" condition, finish was peeling in areas, wasnt terrible but needed a little sprucing for my liking. I enjoy this rifle and really do not ever seeing it being sold.  I came across this post and its what Im shooting for........... http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=117540.0 

I wouldnt call it a Bubba job, some may disagree I guess. I started with some stripper (TeeHee) and removed the shallac as well as some grime from the past 70 years. I then sanded lightly and stayed away from any refurb markings and the serial number. I plan on lightly staining something close to his "minwax black satin finish" as I really like that look. The layers on the laminate are really cool, Im hoping the stain brings out even more character. 

Anyway, Ill post updates as I go if anyone is interested.

Thanks for lookin, 

Tom

post-5759-0-33672600-1414505065_thumb.jpg

Two coats of sanding sealer before staining will stop blotchy and dark spots from appearing.  Apply each coat and lightly sand before next.  You must stain lighter in color than you want for finished color grading.  Top coats will darken finish color.  I still like Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil for top coat after stain.  It will make the grain 'POP".

I was going to use a satin polyurethane........so you're saying to use the Tru-Oii instead? That will protect the finish? Anything to make the grain Pop even more would be cool. 

Im not much of a wood guy. I redid an old 10/22 stock a couple years ago and used the poly, came out OK. I didnt do the whole steel wool thing in between coats though. I was going to do that this time around.........unless I use the tru-oil of course. 

Thanks,

Tom

Tru-Oil will protect finish.  Gun stock wax on top of that for that smooth feel.  You can leave the Tru-Oil alone and get a gloss finish or rub with fine steel wool and get a satin or matte finish.  Only finish I use, wears like iron.

update this with finished pics!!! should look great!

I'm sorry what were we talking about?  All I can see in my minds eye is that girl shooting a rifle.  

OK so I had some ebony minwax stain that I thinned out with some mineral spirits. Its really dark stuff and didn't want to go too dark and lose the contrast. After one coat and letting it dry I decided one was enough. I didn't want to go too dark. This is the first coat of clear satin poly. Tomorrow I'll take some steel wool to it and add another.

I was going to order the try oil.....but my ADD kicked in and I decided I didn't want to wait. Hehe

What's cool about the laminate is the contrast kicks in depending on the angle you look at the stock. Also changes depending on the lighting.

Hopefully should have a few more coats of poly in time to go shooting this weekend!

post-5759-141454210644_thumb.jpg

post-5759-141454217811_thumb.jpg

If you hadn't already put on the poly, I would have suggested boiled linseed oil...you can pick it up at most hardware stores and it wears like iron...it's what was used on wooden tool handles for about 100 years before poly was available.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

OK so I had some ebony minwax stain that I thinned out with some mineral spirits. Its really dark stuff and didn't want to go too dark and lose the contrast. After one coat and letting it dry I decided one was enough. I didn't want to go too dark. This is the first coat of clear satin poly. Tomorrow I'll take some steel wool to it and add another.

I was going to order the try oil.....but my ADD kicked in and I decided I didn't want to wait. Hehe

What's cool about the laminate is the contrast kicks in depending on the angle you look at the stock. Also changes depending on the lighting.

Hopefully should have a few more coats of poly in time to go shooting this weekend!

Looks good! What happened to your water softner? Its missing from the bypass lol...

I didnt realize how big those pics were.......sorry about that.......

Looks good! What happened to your water softner? Its missing from the bypass lol...

There was some kind of secondary filter thing there when we moved in. Looked almost like another softener but was next to the actual softener (it's to the right)  It was not in use, the valves were closed and the owner had no idea what it was. So when I upgraded my softener, I pulled it out and put caps on the ends. It had a large tank and a secondary smaller "bucket" with a hose with some kind of chemical label on it.......potassium something or other maybe? I dont remember, but it had a skull on it...........I threw it all out, lol. 

Well......here it is! I'm happy with the the way it came out. I don't think I changed it too much just feel like it needed a face lift. I didn't put the sling back on.....it just got in the way for me. I liked it on there but really it got annoying at the range. I guess if I had to carry it through the jungle I'd feel differently.

I think my next act of blasphemy is going to be dropping the bolt in some white vinegar to bring it back to "white".

(Sorry if the pic is huge again)

post-5759-141480748273_thumb.jpg

I didnt realize how big those pics were.......sorry about that.......

There was some kind of secondary filter thing there when we moved in. Looked almost like another softener but was next to the actual softener (it's to the right) It was not in use, the valves were closed and the owner had no idea what it was. So when I upgraded my softener, I pulled it out and put caps on the ends. It had a large tank and a secondary smaller "bucket" with a hose with some kind of chemical label on it.......potassium something or other maybe? I dont remember, but it had a skull on it...........I threw it all out, lol.

It was probably a carbon filter they take the slimey feel out of the water once its softened, and make it taste a little better. The potassium tank went to a Green Sand system, glad you removed that! They are horrible! If they malfunction you wind up with purple water full of potassium, not healthy at all dangerous IMO.

Yuck! Purple water!......Well, between my home depot ge whole house filter, the softener and the filter on my fridge I'm really happy with the water. It means "nursery water" for my kids with some fluoride but its no big deal. Besides, I hear it can be too much fluoride to drink it all the time.

Yuck! Purple water!......Well, between my home depot ge whole house filter, the softener and the filter on my fridge I'm really happy with the water. It means "nursery water" for my kids with some fluoride but its no big deal. Besides, I hear it can be too much fluoride to drink it all the time.

I don't believe they add fluoride to the water here. That's only practiced in southern states to my knowledge. Fluoride is poisonous, why they add it to drinking water is beyond my comprehension, but I know that it is done in some places. If you want everything removed from your water use reverse osmosis, Its the most through means of purification.