Rob0115

Question moving and transporting firearms

With any luck I'm going to be closing on a place in Florida before the winter. My plan would to be to keep most of my firearms there while I'm still spending time in NJ. Certainly is be moving the black rifle collection and then making them non-NJ compliant (can't wait to own a short barreled suppressed 300).

My question don't need to shop these to an FFL or can I transport them myself? I'm guessing I shouldn't do the latter.

With any luck I'm going to be closing on a place in Florida before the winter. My plan would to be to keep most of my firearms there while I'm still spending time in NJ. Certainly is be moving the black rifle collection and then making them non-NJ compliant (can't wait to own a short barreled suppressed 300).

My question don't need to shop these to an FFL or can I transport them myself? I'm guessing I shouldn't do the latter.

If you intend to drive anyway, then take them with you. Be sure to LOCK the firearms and ammunition in a case. If you are driving only because you have firearms, then I would ship them to yourself.

If you intend to drive anyway, then take them with you. Be sure to LOCK the firearms and ammunition in a case. If you are driving only because you have firearms, then I would ship them to yourself.

I will be driving down to Florida in the next few months and looking to move my firearms and ammo myself on one of the trips down.

If driving an SUV where the firearms are not readily or directly accessible, I wouldn't be ab;e to get to them without exiting the vehicle, walking to the back and opening the hatch, do they need to be locked to comply with FOPA? Between trying to climb out of the front seat to the back seat then to the back of the truck and over everything else in the truck, I would not be able to access the firearms.

Thanks.

"

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Current through Pub. L. 113-234 . (See Public Laws for the current Congress .)

prev | next
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Locking them does not only deal with compliance issues (when and if necessary), it also makes it more difficult for a cop to perform an illegal search while claiming you gave him permission. I would not have the key in my pocket or where a cop could quickly find it during a traffic stop turned fishing expedition.

Most people are concerned that FOPA may not cover mags, ammo, or other firearm accessories or even parts. I think MD might have some kind of partial/full/??? 10 round mag limit. I would really try to avoid driving through MD, they love pulling people over and messing with them more than anyone else, and they hate guns. You would also avoid the MD/northern DC approach and the detour might not add any extra time to the drive.

That's just me. But if I were to drive, I wouldn't ship anything.

I would really try to avoid driving through MD, they love pulling people over and messing with them more than anyone else, and they hate guns. You would also avoid the MD/northern DC approach and the detour might not add any extra time to the drive. That's just me. But if I were to drive, I wouldn't ship anything.

Gun owners fear Maryland cops target them for traffic stops

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/

"A year ago this New Year’s Eve, John Filippidis of Florida was driving south with his family on Interstate 95 when the Maryland Transportation Authority Police pulled over his black Ford Expedition and proceeded to raid it while his twins, wife and daughter looked on — separated in the back seats of different police cruisers.

The officers were searching for Mr. Filippidis‘ Florida-licensed, palm-size Kel-Tec .38 semi-automatic handgun, which he left at home locked in his safe. (Maryland does not recognize handgun permits issued by other states.) When the search turned up nothing, Mr. Filippidis, 51, was allowed to go and was issued only a speeding warning.

The incident gained national attention. Mr. Filippidis went on multiple radio programs and described in detail how scared and outraged he and his family were. He wondered: How did the police know he was licensed for concealed carry, and what right did they have to search through his personal items on the side of the busy interstate filled with holiday travelers on that 10-degree day?"