Zeke

Best side saddle

I've had a Mesa Sidesaddle on my 870 for a while. It looses it's retention ability over a short period of time. I had the original black insert, then switched to the white - which fixed it for a while but is loose again. Under recoil my rounds fall out - Unsat. Especially for the $$$$$ I laid out for it.

The ESSTAC Cards are great. They are cheap, low weight, and you can quickly swap from a card full of slugs to buck to whatever you need on the side of your shotgun with nothing more than a tug and a slap (phrasing ;))

I've had a Mesa Sidesaddle on my 870 for a while. It looses it's retention ability over a short period of time. I had the original black insert, then switched to the white - which fixed it for a while but is loose again. Under recoil my rounds fall out - Unsat. Especially for the $$$$$ I laid out for it.

The ESSTAC Cards are great. They are cheap, low weight, and you can quickly swap from a card full of slugs to buck to whatever you need on the side of your shotgun with nothing more than a tug and a slap (phrasing ;))

Had same prob with mine. Pist me off. What seems to work is take it off, pull rubber out, put back in and don't pull tight in holders. Hard to explain.

Thanks, I'll look into these.

Had same prob with mine. Pist me off. What seems to work is take it off, pull rubber out, put back in and don't pull tight in holders. Hard to explain.

How much use?

It's really my hd gun, not much use.

Maybe a sandy grab n go gun in the camper.

I have had my Mesa Side Saddles (I have 2) since they first came out. It's been close to 8 or 9 (maybe? Can't remember) years now with rounds in them constantly.

I gotta ask why baton rounds? I assume you mean Less Lethal (LL) type right?

Less Lethal rounds are currently a no-go in NJ, even for police. Anything that comes out of a firearm is deadly force, regardless of intent or design of the ammunition.

I would ditch those, they won't do you any good amigo.

Plus, LL out of anything less than a 40mm launcher generally performs abysmally.

How much use?

It's really my hd gun, not much use.

Maybe a sandy grab n go gun in the camper.

Not much.... I've even seen them loosen up just sitting in my safe with rounds in them. Some are tight and some not until I reset the rubber. Every so often, I inspect all my guns. Last I checked, they were ok. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll do an inspection. Suppose to be sheit weather all weekend anyway.

And now you are rocking a Mesa.

Hmmn

Yup.

4BD557E9-3C93-4F9C-9D84-43B10524A58D_zps

Contacted Mesa and they sent me a new white insert and it seems to work fine now - but I wouldn't buy one again. Main reason I want the Mesa sidesaddle to work is because it has the integral rail for my optic. If not for the rail I would take it off and sell it, replacing it with the velcro cards.

My breaching gun for work has velcro cards.

18AD9EC8-27D5-49E0-9911-AA63E83E7A1F_zps

I find them to be much more versatile and lightweight.

I have the Mesa and had the same prob as HE... Emailed them a couple times and no response. Decided to go with GG&G.... On my 590.., Really nice and no slippage.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2015 at 0:32 PM, Zeke said:

Mesa works fine for me. It is just a home defense gun. All mine are really

Hows your Mesa side saddle holding up?  I hear constant reviews about the shell retainers getting loose.

Thinking of going the velcro option, I like the interchangeability factor of having velcro cards loaded up with shells ready to smack on if needed.  Plus if a card gets loose, pretty cheap to just buy another one with snugness.  But...that mesa does look cooool haha

I tried the Velcro/shotgun card for my Ithaca, as nobody makes side saddles for them anymore... pulled it off and left the cards in the nightstand.

I'm thinking it was more due to it being refinished in NP3+, but the adhesive for the Velcro would not stay on the receiver. I think they were seven shot cards, loaded with Remington 00 (reduced recoil), and noticed it hanging off the receiver in a little over two weeks.

I always do TacStar side saddles for my shotguns. Never an issue, whether I do brass up/down (most are down, two specialty loads are up on my 870; all for the Ithaca was down... for obvious reasons).

Wish I could find a TacStar side saddle for my Ithaca. Would be one of those things that would just round that shotgun out... even if I had to send metal to Robar to match.

ZAyA1Da.jpg

zZYcoI4.jpg