GlastonburyNative

1911 vs. HK45C vs. the world

I was ready to buy a p226 or p229 or p30 9mm with my remaining permit (and still am).  However, I was given the chance to shoot a 1911 commander today and enjoyed my time with the .45 acp.  I have been trying to justify staying with one caliber and currently own a DA/SA and striker fired handgun in 9mm.  This next purchase would serve as another range gun and carry option when I cross over to Connecticut.

So, what would you guys choose between the hk45c and the Colt O4012XSE?  Knowing I still have a desire to stick with one caliber, would any of you recommend the 9mm options I'm looking at over these two handguns?

I'm eyeing up the no-frills Colt Commander myself. 

It seems a bit big for CCW though. It is only 3/4" shorter than a full size 1911, I would consider a 3" Colt Defender which is also on a shorter frame as well. Everyone should own a 1911 regardless.

Im no expert but when I was reviewing 1911's for ccw it seemed the shortest barrel length that still offered 100% reliability was 4.25". Thats why all the higher end brands dont offer 1911s in shorter barrel lengths. So anything under that like the 3" defender would be a no go for me.

I will say that even a commander 1911 is a hefty piece to carry and that should be a consideration.

Of the two I would take the hk45c to carry for sure. Lighter weight, great ergo, accurate.

That being said I love 1911s and an ed brown kobra carry stainless is going to be purchased when my next batch of permits are in. Will I carry it? No I live in NJ and I have a shield to carry in free states.

I'm going to skip the caliber debate. Rang gun pick whatever tickles your fancy. But for carry, reliability is a key factor. Picking between an HK45c or the stock Colt, the HK would get my vote. Keep in mind I am a 1911 guy! Not a fan of short 1911's. I can live with a high end build in a 4" but nothing shorter.

Although yours may run good, many do not. Also I would be interested in playing a little Devil's advocate with you and would like to know if you have done a high shooting pace training class with it or put a solid amount of duty ammo through it? Also, what do you mean by its not for the wimpy limp wristed? Just to set the tone of my questions, Im NOT picking on your pistol, Im honestly interested in the answers.

Shane

No problem. No, I don't run any courses. Yes, tons of reloads from LAX without a hiccup. Runs factory just fine too.When I say for the limp wristed, (I apologize for the wimpy part, cause I know some, lol)... I mean putting a lot of rounds through it is rough. If you have weak wrists, it will kick the hell out of you. I did 200 rounds of non-stop firing of it for instance. As fast as I can load preloaded mags...I'm a big guy and this thing kick the crap out of me, (Especially with carpel tunnel)... Light frame and heavy slide in a 3" barrel as a 45 has some kick. I can take it, but average frame folk may not. If you are in the habit of not holding on extremely tight because you are use to a full size steel 1911, you're in for a suprise as it does not absorb like it's big brother. Even with a firm torque grip, it's still packs a kick. Would I trust it as a carry... for sure. But would prefer my HK... due to more rounds. They are not far off from weight I don't think. (25oz empty...) 

Although yours may run good, many do not. Also I would be interested in playing a little Devil's advocate with you and would like to know if you have done a high shooting pace training class with it or put a solid amount of duty ammo through it? Also, what do you mean by its not for the wimpy limp wristed? Just to set the tone of my questions, Im NOT picking on your pistol, Im honestly interested in the answers.Shane

bhunted, I was curious if it was sensitive to not cycling if you limp wristed it or if you meant it was tough in the wrists. I figured that's what you meant. Hows it run hollow points? That's what I meant when I said duty ammo, should have clarified, sorry. Yes the HK is easy, even in 45, to shoot. What impessed me the most about the HK45c was how consistently it recoils and returns to target.

I had a 3" 1911 and it was a pita. I would never own one again. Another have stated, I'd only own a 4-5" 1911's.

Between the 45's, is say the Hk. I would also tell you to look at the hk45. Grip is far superior to the hk45c. Downside is its bigger and hold same rounds.

I have to say that given the choice of the colt and 45c you've mentioned, is go with a p30 in 9mm, lite Lem. I have one and your welcome to come to Cjrpc to try if out if you'd like.

OK, yes... I used Critical Duty and Critical Defense, no problemos. As for cycling, was referring to tough on the wrists... Earlier fatigue if shooting it non-stop. :)

I also have the HK USP Compact 45 and it is a great gun. It replaced my 1911 as my carry, when I did carry. Accurate as hell. Can't see the HK45C being any different.

bhunted, I was curious if it was sensitive to not cycling if you limp wristed it or if you meant it was tough in the wrists. I figured that's what you meant. Hows it run hollow points? That's what I meant when I said duty ammo, should have clarified, sorry. Yes the HK is easy, even in 45, to shoot. What impessed me the most about the HK45c was how consistently it recoils and returns to target.