Sign in to follow this  
Grapeshot

10/22 workaround for small game in PA?

I hunt in PA, and I know that you are allowed to hunt small game with a .22, as long as it isn't semiauto. That means no Ruger 10/22. However, I just saw that you can buy a magazine for training purposes that only holds one round (http://shopruger.com/10_22-BX-1-1-One-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90344/. )This may be playing with semantics, but at that point is the 10/22 still semiauto, or a single shot .22? And the real question: with this magazine, can I now use it for hunting?

I'm curious where would it be legal to hunt with the 10/22 in the north east area? 

• You can hunt in NJ for varmints and furbearers (although a .22LR would be a minimum round for the larger species) during their respective seasons.
  • You can small game hunt in NY with a 10/22. Go right over the NJ border to Sterling Forest. Lotsa land, lotsa squirrels.

Why not a Ruger American 22LR. It's almost the same rifle as the simi-auto carbine except it's a bolt action. Uses the same mag. You can find them new for around 300. or less.

I love my Ruger American. Throw a sling and scope on it and you've got a great small game rifle.

In NJ you can hunt Coyote, fox, groundhog, coon and dispatch trapped game with .22, if you hunt NJ with a 10/22 remember you can only have three rounds of ammo in the guy while hunting. Also legal is Air rifle for squirrel, & rabbit I believe.