claptrap

Are these magazines NJ legal

hello everyone, hows it going?

i saw a new company called hex mag online and i was wondering what everyones take on on their new 10/15 round mags in 30 round bodies.  They say there is a riser in there and a shortened spring and you can take it apart for cleaning, would these be NJ legal?  I have sent an email to the state police trying to get some feedback but none so far.  thoughts?

http://hexmag.com/new-products/

(...)  I have sent an email to the state police trying to get some feedback but none so far (...)

May I ask you:

1) what kind of response are you expecting from the state police?

2) if you get an email response from NJSP, how do you plan to use it? (or, in other words, it will prove exactly what and how?)

now if you remove this riser will it be capable of holding more rounds?

Taken from their site

Hexmag introduces the True HX10/30-AR 10 round and HX15/30-AR 15 round magazine. We have developed a system that does not require the use of pins or limiters. We didn’t take our 30 round magazine and alter it we actually changed the internals to mimic a shorter 10 and 15 round magazine. The Hexmag true product line uses a riser and a shorter spring in place a standard 30 round spring. Our system as shipped cannot be converted back to 30 rounds.

You'd have to have a compatible hexmag spring, and possibly a floor plate if the riser is permanently attached to the floor plate. At least thats how I understand it.

I think I might buy one next week after I pay my bills. Ill post it when I get it in.

hello everyone, hows it going?

i saw a new company called hex mag online and i was wondering what everyones take on on their new 10/15 round mags in 30 round bodies.  They say there is a riser in there and a shortened spring and you can take it apart for cleaning, would these be NJ legal?  I have sent an email to the state police trying to get some feedback but none so far.  thoughts?

http://hexmag.com/new-products/

Since Mac let them use his stamp they must be O.K. quality wise. But why would you notify the state police? Really? If it is that scary for you don't buy them. I see no difference other than price (assuming they still come in at 14.99) with these and PK90's PMAGS. I love his PMAGS by the way. A DEALER HAS THEM FOR $14.19!!!!

Since Mac let them use his stamp they must be O.K. quality wise. But why would you notify the state police? Really? If it is that scary for you don't buy them. I see no difference other than price (assuming they still come in at 14.99) with these and PK90's PMAGS. I love his PMAGS by the way.

I have a pmag or 2 but they are glued shut. I didn't give the website in the email what I asked was for clarification on if the mag had to be welded, I know from discussions here that a 20 round pmag with the limiter they sell is not good to go here.

Their system here seems to be different than any other ban stage mags I've seen and who knows if it's legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pmag or 2 but they are glued shut. I didn't give the website in the email what I asked was for clarification on if the mag had to be welded, I know from discussions here that a 20 round pmag with the limiter they sell is not good to go here.

Their system here seems to be different than any other ban stage mags I've seen and who knows if it's legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

The body according to their website the body is unalterable and since they are the OEM for the mags they make the proprietary inserts. Sounds like unalterable to me. 

Seriously, I think this whole discussion around "permanent / non-permanent" modification of mags is plain useless.

Recent example - there are 15rd Mec-Gar mags for CZ75 that lots of people here bought either from Greg Cote LLC or from CZ Custom. There are also 17rd "standard" Mec-Gar mags for CZ75 that are technically illegal in NJ. I had a chance to look closely at both (let's say, in my friend's house in PA). The only difference between 15rd and 17rd mags is that 15rders have a part of the spring close to the baseplate that is actually a depressed spring that acts like a block preventing follower to go "too much" down and letting you put extra two rounds. All other parts, including the follower, are absolutely identical and interchangeable between those 2 mags.

Do I need to tell you that with such a mag making it to hold 17rds instead of 15:

1) will take roughly 10 seconds

2) will require only pliers or cutters

and most importantly - 3) will not damage the mag or require any additional parts to be installed

Yet those mags are easily sold and used by many people in NJ / CO...

mags1.jpg

Whats the difference between these and getting a regular 30rd PMag, getting a 15rd mag blocker and replacing the internal spring baseplate with the mag blocker and not pinning/gluing the external baseplate. Then just throwing away the original spring baseplate so you can't reverse it back?

545x30_10_round_limiter.jpg

LOL APEX Guns FAIL!

HEXMAG AR15/M4/M16 15 round reinforced polymer magazine, black with orange follower, NEW U.S. made

Sold individually

FINALLY, MAGAZINES RESTRICTED STATES HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

Change the way you look at magazines for your AR15 forever!
Innovative design let you customize your magazines using the HexID Color Identification system.

Hexmag has introduced the True HX10/30-AR 10 round and HX15/30-AR 15 round magazine.
They have developed a system that does not require the use of pins or limiters.
Hexmag didn’t take their 30 round magazine and alter it, they actually changed the internals to mimic a shorter 10 and 15 round magazine.
The Hexmag true product line uses a riser and a shorter spring in place a standard 30 round spring.
This system as shipped cannot be converted back to 30 rounds.

True Riser Features:

True Riser System works with our complete line of HexID System Accessories.
System allows for normal disassembly and cleaning.
A 30 round body looks natural in your AR rifle and is ammo pouch compatible.
Additional space on the riser………

True riser system allows items to be wrapped around the riser and reinserted back into the magazine.
The hexagon hole is not a decorative feature but a place to secure line.
So every Hexmag True 10 and 15 round magazine riser has some capacity for storage.
Having the ability to carry around a short length of paracord is built right into the magazine.
The magazine with storage capabilities for your survival gear or gun tools!

Magazine Features:
Lightweight.
Impact resistant.
Fiber-reinforced polymer construction.
Unique hexagonal design provides non-slip gripping, even when wet.
Anti-corrosion, heat treated stainless steel spring.
Compatible with HexID Color Identification system, giving you hundreds of customization options!
Tool-free latch plate design is secure, while allowing for fast disassembly.
Lifetime manufacturer warranty.
Designed for .223/5.56mm rifles which accept NATO style magazines.

IN STOCK

**These magazines cannot be shipped to the following states:

Washington D.C. Code 7-2506.01
Connecticut SB1160 Sec. 23
California
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Hawaii

Or anywhere else prohibited by law.

Seriously, I think this whole discussion around "permanent / non-permanent" modification of mags is plain useless.

Recent example - there are 15rd Mec-Gar mags for CZ75 that lots of people here bought either from Greg Cote LLC or from CZ Custom. There are also 17rd "standard" Mec-Gar mags for CZ75 that are technically illegal in NJ. I had a chance to look closely at both (let's say, in my friend's house in PA). The only difference between 15rd and 17rd mags is that 15rders have a part of the spring close to the baseplate that is actually a depressed spring that acts like a block preventing follower to go "too much" down and letting you put extra two rounds. All other parts, including the follower, are absolutely identical and interchangeable between those 2 mags.

Do I need to tell you that with such a mag making it to hold 17rds instead of 15:

1) will take roughly 10 seconds

2) will require only pliers or cutters

and most importantly - 3) will not damage the mag or require any additional parts to be installed

Yet those mags are easily sold and used by many people in NJ / CO...

mags1.jpg

the state of NJ has stated that a mag that is temporarily modified to only accept 15 rounds is still a large capacity magazine...

they do not define the word temporarily so one may only use the accepted definition of the word..

a mag that has had a permanent change to it so that it can NEVER again hold more than 15 rounds is not a temporary condition

a mag that can be modified back to holding more than 15 rounds would IMO be a temporary condition

anything other than a permanently modified magazine by the view of the state is a roll of the dice...

A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been

permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will
cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which
has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood
or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine.

the state of NJ has stated that a mag that is temporarily modified to only accept 15 rounds is still a large capacity magazine...

they do not define the word temporarily so one may only use the accepted definition of the word..

a mag that has had a permanent change to it so that it can NEVER again hold more than 15 rounds is not a temporary condition

a mag that can be modified back to holding more than 15 rounds would IMO be a temporary condition

anything other than a permanently modified magazine by the view of the state is a roll of the dice...

Again, if I interpret the "spirit of the law" correctly, it applies only to mags initially suitable of holding more than 15 rounds, but then modified to hold 15 rounds or less. That said, technically Mec-Gar magazines are out of the scope of this, because they have *from the very beginning* been manufactured to hold 15 rounds - and nobody really cares how they have been manufactured, even if you can easily extend their capacity without any serious efforts.

If we apply the same logic to HEX Mags - as long as they hold 15 rounds the moment they left the manufacturer and as long as they are clearly marked as "15rds magazines" by this manufacturer it should be nobody's business how exactly this manufacturer achieved it. Anyways, as I mentioned numerous times before, I'm totally convinced that if your mags are somehow scrutinized by authorities with regards to how many rounds they hold, you are already deeply screwed. But that's just my IMO.

P.S. I seriously think that capacity restriction is one of the dumbest and one of the most ambiguous things on earth. Maybe it can only be compared in its dumbness with considering a collapsible stock an "evil feature"...

If the body of the magazine will only accept their internals and base plate seems to me it would be GTG, however if it can accept and function with a standard spring follower and their base plate it is NOT GTG.  That is the only thing I can see here.

Whats the difference between these and getting a regular 30rd PMag, getting a 15rd mag blocker and replacing the internal spring baseplate with the mag blocker and not pinning/gluing the external baseplate. Then just throwing away the original spring baseplate so you can't reverse it back?

545x30_10_round_limiter.jpg

This is exactly what I do. I order the parts from magazineblocks.com then go to cabelas and buy some mags. I then replace the internal parts, throw out the old part that I replaced and drive home. Since the old part is gone and it won't function if I take out the extended spring plate I call it good. It holds 15 and can be opened for cleaning.

This is exactly what I do. I order the parts from magazineblocks.com then go to cabelas and buy some mags. I then replace the internal parts, throw out the old part that I replaced and drive home. Since the old part is gone and it won't function if I take out the extended spring plate I call it good. It holds 15 and can be opened for cleaning.

and can be made back into a standard mag?

and can be made back into a standard mag?

Is it possible? Yes. But if the parts I need to do so are in a PA land fill somewhere then I will say it's a permanently modified magazine. If the fact that my base plate can be removed for servicing of the mag is why they bust balls then we will go down that road even though it may be a bumpy one. My mags hold 15. The state says we are restricted to 15 rounds and that's what I got. I could see if I had a loose piece of wood or plastic in there to block it but I don't, when replaced it's an integral part of the magazine.

I have yet to see a mag that can't be converted back. Even the ones that have been blind pinned and epoxied.

It looks like one could break that insert piece off with their hands and have a larger capacity magazine. It would be different if you need tools to re-modify/cut it.

If you break the insert then you break the law by modifying a magazine to hold 30 rounds

I agree. My Pmags have an insert that is thick, hard to be modified without tools and expertise, and are part of the design. They are "manufactured" by me in this fashion and any modification from how they are sold is on the end user.

Besides, there is no law that says the mags need be permanent. The Admin Code says NJ dealers can not sell temporary blocked mags.

They wont let you buy "ban" mags in bulk or dealer price unless you have valid FFL. However if I lived in PA they would gladly accommodate me......

$11.99 is already a good price in my book.... If they work, they are good...

LOL APEX Guns FAIL!

emailed them today..looks like they're making it right

Joe,

Thanks you for bringing this oversight to my attention.

The other 15 round magazines available at APEX are indeed not marked as restricted to New Jersey.

I also checked the NJ state web site for the latest on that regulation as it appears the links we have on the website now go to the wrong pages!:

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=21012884&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=15%20round&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1AC6}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=28&y=13&zz

I have updated the 15 round HEXMAG listing to remove the NJ restriction.

I am looking forward to filling your order!

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Richard C. Hamer

APEX Gun Parts

719-481-2050 OFFICE/order line

719-247-8205 DIRECT

719-375-0131 FAX