silverado427

Ar drop in triggers

I have one I picked up off a prize table.

A) That is an awesome price

B) It is a bit strange to install. Every other trigger group I was able to slip under the safety, for this one you have to remove the pistol grip so you can pop out the safety so you can drop it in. Not a bid deal, just a bit odd. The other odd thing is that it is REALLY loose on the cross pins, but then it has two set screws that the whole thing up to tighten it and it becomes rock solid. I installed mine with KNS pins because why not and I had the pins.

C) Trigger is very VERY nice. I shot a match or two with it and then I when back to my Geissele 3G-SD because I like it better for competition, but I plan to build a new lower for my "zombie apocalypse" rifle and I'll be using the Timney in it. It is really a very clean single stage trigger that does indeed remind of Timney's bolt action triggers. There is almost not take up, just a firm wall and a clean break.

D) the weight is a bit odd. I didn't trigger gauge it, but I'm not sure they are honest with the weight. I have one that said 3lb on the label, but it feels heavier then that to me. Maybe it is because of the lack of takeup so you kind feel all the weight at once,  I dunno. This might not be a bad thing, it is unlikely to fire it by mistake.

I like it. I'm not sure I like enough to buy one vs something else, but that may be because I prefer two stage triggers, but it is certainly a very nice trigger and PA's price is  very nice as well.

Timney has been making triggers for a long time. There are also a number of higher grade factory ARs sold with that trigger.

Confidence matters so by all means don't get one if you don't trust it, but I doubt it is a systemic issue.

not really a problem with confidence in this specific product, as I've heard great things about their AR triggers and their remington 700 triggers.  I'm just throwing other points of view out there so some people that haven't heard the good, bad and ugly can't make their own decision.  when you develop a trigger for a specialized gun, and it goes full auto on multiple different people, and you don't rectify it quickly or at all, then people should know about it.   

i wasn't ever going to get a timney for my ARs anyway, i am more than happy with my geissele triggers, but i had thought about one in a remington 700 prior to this.  

I shot a buddy of mines AR with a Timney in it and it was fantastic. Right then and there I made up my mind the mil-specs had to go. Unfortunately I'm poo and have to pretty much hide what I spend on guns from the little lady. I finally settled on a RRA 2 stage NM w/ JP 3.5 - 4 lb springs from JoeBobsOutfitters. Trigger = $95, Springs = $12, free shipping. First stage is as light as mil-spec take up, second stage brakes light and crisp and it goes bang every time with any type ammo I've used. I love it! There's not a thing wrong with the Timney and I still wish I could use um in my AR's just because they are single stage. But the RRA/JP's I'm using so far seem every bit as nice and cost $107 delivered.

Some suggestions... If you are into precision/target type work, take a look at the Geissele SSA-E. More on budget or looking for stock trigger pull weight but a greatly enhanced feel, look at the ALG ACT.

There are many other options out there in the marketplace, but cannot comment as I haven't tried them. I own the two mentioned here and am extremely happy with their performance.

Some flavor of Geissele is the answer to all trigger questions.

My soocial guns get SSA (light 2 stage) or ALG ACT (improved mil spec single stage) triggers.

For the money, the ACT can't be beat. It's a tremendous upgrade over a standard mil-spec. While it's not as nice as the SSA, the value is stellar, especially if you are pinching pennies. You can by 3-4 ACT triggers for one SSA/SSA-E.