lunker

Ditching an AK47 for an AR

I had always wanted to own a nice AK. When I lived in Jersey I converted a few Saigas and enjoyed shooting them, but always ended up selling them to get sexier guns like M1As and PTRs. I had owned several AR's, but never loved them and always ended up selling them too. Sp I moved up to New Hampshire and got myself a Milled Norinco MAK-90 that I de-thumbholed and an Arsenal AK-74 that I added a VLTOR M4 stock and tube to. They were both top-of-the line AKs. When the Russian ammo ban hit, I sold my Arsenal and 5.45x39 ammo. So I was left with the 7.62x39 MAK-90 and was enjoying shooting it. If I steadied myself and took a slow aimed shot I could hit steel at 200 yards pretty handily, and at 300 yards if I rested the rifle on a bag I was 60-70% on a man sized target. But AR prices have been falling hard and fast, and I was able to pick up a Bravo Company M16A4 clone at a reasonable price to satisfy my desire to shoot long range. Then a Colt 6920 for sale at CDNN for $899 because, when will they ever be that cheap again? So now I am bringing my MAK-90 and Colt 6920 to the range with me every time I go. The Colt is a bit lighter and much more ergonomic. it is also a bit less "cool", IMO. But the differences start to come out when shooting one rifle after the next at the same distances and targets. While 7.62x39 is not a heavy recoiling rifle, it takes a good bit longer to get back on target even with a good comp on the muzzle. It wasn't much different than my PTR in 308, to be truthful. And it has a trajectory like a mortar past 300 yards. And it is far slower to sight in a target. And it is heavier (mainly because I went with the milled variant). With the AR, I am on target quickly out to 200 yards, and with not too much effort out to 300. Recoil is negligible, even with a light carbine. The gun fits me great. It has never had a hiccup (although I do keep it wet and only feed it M193-ish ammo). The AK is easy to strip down, but it is not made of interchangeable parts. If ever I broke the bolt or carrier parts on mine, I would need parts from another Chinese AK to fit my rifle. I don't have the tools or knowledge to press trunions into receivers. There isn't a ton on an AR that can't be done by a mildly handy person, and with minimal tools.

I began to realize that for me the AK was the cool gun to show off, but the AR was the one I would want to have if I really needed one. Of course I have an infant daughter now and am on the gun austerity plan, so guns that don't get shot much get sold. I am sure the new owner loves his Chinese beauty. In the end, utility trumps cool when I can't afford both. 

And if I ever own another AK, it will be an AK-74. 5.45x39 is a great round and is nearly as flat shooting as 5.56x45, the way an intermediate caliber should be, IMO.. The only thing I never liked was that I always had to stick my AK in the shower and soak it with hot water after shooting it. That Russian surplus corrosive ammo had rust specs forming in the gas tube after the first outing with an new gun. 

Anybody else turn in their AKs for an AR?  (besides Vlad :))

Anybody switch to AKs from ARs?

I have both and shoot them equally. I like them for different reasons.. The saiga for me I did the full conversion so i feel like I actually built it rather than assemble my AR and it is special to me.. To be truthful, the AK has a way better trigger than my AR currently. I know it is because the AR has a basic PSA LPK and I can add a drop in trigger and be good to go. I like my AR cause I can reload for it and honestly if I ever needed to grab one to actually use... that is the one I would grab.

I could care less about shooting super accurate at long distances but it that is your goal a AR will win every time. I don't see myself selling either of them anytime soon. Here's a pic of my saiga from yesterday and yes.. I know the safety is off, it was unloaded and this was just for a quick photo op.. I love this gun LOL!

15551180408_be90291b1d_c.jpg

If you want cool AND reliable, just get a KAC SR15 E3-Mod 2. Current test going on, no cleaning, with a 20k round goal. Its closing in on 10,000 rounds. It has had 1 failure to extract which was believed to be ammo related. It very much looks like Old Dirty, for those of you familiar with that FAL test. Better than any commie peasant gun! :D

I started out with a Zastava PAP (you should know, I purchased it from you).  I ditched that for a Saiga in 7.62x39, which I converted.  I loved that rifle.  I decided to dabble in the AR world, and did a cheap build.  After coming to a similar realization as you have, I got rid of the Saiga.  I realized that I couldn't afford both, and the AR was just more practical.  I would however like to get another Saiga, should my budget ever allow it.

I've never liked an AK but Carls picture looks bad ass. Is it just because it's all shiny and the lighting is good? There's just something about it that makes it look cooler than other ones I've seen

I've never liked an AK but Carls picture looks bad ass. Is it just because it's all shiny and the lighting is good? There's just something about it that makes it look cooler than other ones I've seen

I agree.

Can some one fill me in - what's the button/switch/lever below the safety at the trigger?

Probably a silly question -- I'm new to this stuff. Besides ergonomics, weight, and five extra (legal) rounds in the magazine, is the practical difference in New Jersey, between an SKS and an AK? 

Have I just answered my own question?

For arguments sake stripper clips load faster then any mag change

You must be saying that to start an argument?  There is no way a stripper clip is faster than a mag change with my hands, maybe in someone else's hands but I find that hard to believe.

Unless an sks is vastly different then other stripper fed rifles then shouldnt the reload process be something like this...

Sks: 1. Fire rifle till empty 2. Insert new clip 3. Charge rifle and keep firing

Ak: 1. Fire rifle 2. Grab mag depress button and rock out 3 insert fresh mag 4. Charge rifle keep firing.

Seems like it makes sense to me

Oh ok, I'll play.

For Arguments sake, where do you hold your spare ammo and how do you get it from there to the gun? 

I'm only asking because the final insertion into the gun is not what  takes all that long in the grand scheme of things.

Also you have two hands that operate at the same time and do things and stuff, so the number of steps is irrelevant as long as there is not some step requiring 3 hands, what matters is how soon you can get the rifle back to shooting.

And you have a heck of a time topping off an SKS, but you can swap mags and keep the change with a mag fed gun.

Etc and stuff.

Oh ok, I'll play.

For Arguments sake, where do you hold your spare ammo and how do you get it from there to the gun?

I'm only asking because the final insertion into the gun is not what takes all that long in the grand scheme of things.

Also you have two hands that operate at the same time and do things and stuff, so the number of steps is irrelevant as long as there is not some step requiring 3 hands, what matters is how soon you can get the rifle back to shooting.

And you have a heck of a time topping off an SKS, but you can swap mags and keep the change with a mag fed gun.

Etc and stuff.

Of course all the points are valid and true. Not saying the sks is a better platform but from a pure speed standpoint stripper clips are faster. Hell people buy stripper clips to load ar mags faster

Of course all the points are valid and true. Not saying the sks is a better platform but from a pure speed standpoint stripper clips are faster. Hell people buy stripper clips to load ar mags faster

err ... hm .. how? forget the platform for a second, AR mags dont get charged with stripper clips when you are trying to get your gun topped off RIGHT NOW, when you need that you use .. wait for it ... mags.  If you were saying it is easier to load a bolt action Mauser with the 5 shot stripper clips, then loading one round at a time in the blind mag then yes, that would be correct.

If stripper clips would be faster then a mag, then everyone would be using them.  It isn't so we don't.

Yes, stripper clips are faster than putting cartridges into a magazine one at a time. They are not faster at getting, for example, ten rounds into a gun than just inserting a loaded ten round magazine. I'm not particularly fond of the rock it in type mag setup on an aka pattern rifle, but I do have to say it is still faster than loading an sks with stripper clips.