lunker

Ditching an AK47 for an AR

There are a lot of caveats in what follows, but...

If we limit ourselves to 10 round mags and standard 10 round stripper clips, i think putting a new 10 rounds into an SKS via stripper takes right around the same amount of time as dumping and reloading a new 10 round AK mag. I will say though that my fail rate is higher with strippers. Sometimes they get hung up.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence.

I know you said besides me.. but going from AK to AR was the best rifle choice I made.. inside 100 yards the AR is marginally more accurate.. but if I am being honest they are both useable.. the biggest difference was at 200+ yards.. the AR was far more reliable with getting shots on target..

I know you said besides me.. but going from AK to AR was the best rifle choice I made.. inside 100 yards the AR is marginally more accurate.. but if I am being honest they are both useable.. the biggest difference was at 200+ yards.. the AR was far more reliable with getting shots on target..

I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same revelation. And I should add that my AK74 kept up with the AR even further than the AK47. If i was going to buy another AK for anything other than fun, it would be in 5.45x39.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same revelation. And I should add that my AK74 kept up with the AR even further than the AK47. If i was going to buy another AK for anything other than fun, it would be in 5.45x39.

agreed.. the 7.62x39 for me appeared to drop a ton at any distance.. and just lose any ability to have a reasonable level of accuracy.. and I experienced the same with 5.45... I was able to achieve much closer to AR usefulness in regards to accuracy.. but that is not really a surprise considering the round is much more similar to 556..

I've shot both, but I prefer AKs over the 3 ARs I've ever shot. If I were going to be doing any competition accuracy shooting in the future i'd take an AR in a heartbeat but for something I keep around as a do or die situation weapon I'd much rather keep an AK in the house than an AR any day. I know the fouling of ARs is way over blown but I'm more in the frame of mind of better safe than sorry.

I also don't really mod or deck out my guns so while the AK has a much smaller aftermarket compared to AR, it doesn't effect me especially since I have a yugo. We also have to take into account I'm a relatively new shooter so I haven't picked up on subtle points like triggers and such but I don't really notice a terrible difference in handling or felt recoil and the guns are WAY more accurate than I can shoot them haha.

Edit: However as a lefty, safety on AK without an overly expensive ambi one... is a PITA! AR wins a point there.