SuRrEaLNJ

9 or 45 This is not a debate/ what's best thread. I need help on a decision.

This is not a tread to debate ballistics or performance, merely opening a discussion on a particular instance regarding me and a rental today.

Thanks to you guys I became enamored with the baby eagle. Saw it, liked the ides, researched it, handled it, all seemed well, and now I have a bit of a problem.

For some background, my go to gun is my XDm 3.8 in .45. So far I've never found a 9mm that I've clicked with, tried a few, esp when the wife was renting a lot of guns before her 1st purchase and didn't find anything that did it for me or that I shot well. Wife had similar experience and wound up with .45 so now I primarily shoot .45, my wife shoots .45 (extremely well) and my father started shooting .45 when I dragged him into the world of semi autos (was a revolver guy)

I had just figured I'd be getting the Baby Eagle in .45 as it's what we all have a lot of lying around and it's what I have and am most comfortable shooting.

Then this happened...post-6543-0-60971200-1415584218_thumb.jpg

Ignore the tape and the one so far I didn't tape, that wasn't me...

I was at RTSP this morning, rented their Baby Eagle in 9mm and shot it extremely well, especially since I wasn't shooting consistent today.

So this all brings me to my point of this post, I until this morning made the assumption that I wanted this pistol in .45, now I'm not as sure. I have been tossing over in my head if I shot it so well due to the weight, handling or the gun alone, or is it just because I finally found a 9 I can group as well as I normally do with my xdm. Basically I managed to confuse myself as to what I really want here.

Thought, suggestions, ideas, anyone have a .45 baby eagle I can shoot?

Like I said I'm not interested in terminal ballistics or performance, merely thoughts and opinions on which caliber I should pick this thing up in.

Do you reload?

If you shoot both calibers well, and you don't reload, I think it comes down to if you want to stock another caliber. It's nice to have less calibers, but 9mm is much cheaper.

I on a day I'm shooting ok can do an average of 11 or 12 out of 13 rounds in a 4" circle at 7 yards from the xdm, so that's kind of my benchmark

We don't reload efficiently yet. Dad got a press, hasn't spent much time with it and has turned out many a couple hundred rounds, so for now were primarily purchasing ammo.it'd be nice to continue to have only one main pistol caliber to purchase and/or load. We also have 45long colt and 380 on hand but the guns in those caliber don't get shot as much.

I was surprised to see how cheap 9 was. I mean I knew it was cheaper but I'm seeing sub $100 for 500 remans, which wouldn't be terrible to support, but including rifles that would be caliber number 9 if I'm counting correctly.

Have you tried a CZ 75....the gun the Baby Eagle is based on?  Excellent ergonomics, extremely reliable, all steel (soaks up recoil), very accurate, more aftermarket parts/support and a near cult like following? 

Not to throw you for another curve, but I would highly recommend you rent or borrow someone's CZ 75 and check it out before making a purchase.  The only regret I've ever read or heard about of in regards to CZs is when some one sells theirs......

That being said, I would go with the 9mm.  Generally more available, less costly, less recoil, and you shot it very well!

Haven't seriously looked at the 75, because when I was still sure I was getting a 45 the cz97 wasn't really an option.mi haven't handled one but I researched a little so not really a full curve.

I've done enough looking to know the BEagle isn't the best supported gun, esp in 45

I do have around 1k in 45 on hand, and for a guy that has shot primarily .45 for the last few years the little bullets are well, so little =P

Not too long ago it seemed like .45s were 40-plus cents/round. Not 100% sure because it's not one of my calibers.

Now they're below 30 cents. 9mm is below 20 cents. Saw .22lr at Mastodon two weeks ago for eight cents/round. Prices are coming down. 

Back to 9 vs. .45, if you shoot three boxes each time you go out it's a difference of $30 vs. $45. 

BTW the CZ 75 has received uniformly great reviews. One writer said something to the effect that it would be a game-changer for the average shooter and even competitors. I'm getting one with one of my pending P2Ps.

I love shooting full power 10mm in my Glock 20 G4. Awesome caliber platform and shoots very accurate. But let's face it, it gets VERY expensive after a few boxes.

9mm is a great round and it's way cheaper to shoot. I can shoot almost triple the rounds for the same price. Plus it feels like you're shooting something, unlike shooting a 22LR handgun.

What's not to love?

- EDiT -

Forgot to mention that the Desert Eagle platform wouldn't be my first choice for a 9mm. Prefer the Glock, Sig, and H&K platforms. But you really can't argue with the OP's target pic.

My $0.02. 

the baby eagle platform was engineered around the 9mm and 41AE. .45 in the same size frame was an afterthought of ensuring it could handle 41E recoil over it's lifetime. 

I don't know if they are sorted out now, but previously it was much more common to have FTF and FTE issues with the .45 version. The .45 version was also only available in the semi-compact size (still seems to be the case). So if you want it to feel like and shoot like a full size, you need 9 or .40. If you look at CZ and witness, the two big players in cz pattern pistols, they both use a larger frame for .45. I don't think the baby eagle platform would have durability issues, but geometry is geometry, and I've never heard the complaint for the cz97b that I have with the baby eagle .45

I have a ca. ~2001 ish 9mm myself. It is accurate and smooth with very manageable recoil. The .40 version shoots pretty nicely as well, especially with minor power factor hand loads. 

I have seen incredable things about the cz 75, and probably should consider one.

I know there are a million other choices of 9s that would be considered better guns and have more suport for things.

That being said i really like the baby eagle. It just kindof fit.

The point of it being made for 41 ae is a very good point. I knew 45 was an afterthought and not suported both in house or aftermarket, but i didnt think about the not being engineered for the caliber.

Ive heard things about the 97b and long triger reach due to the larger frame as a bit of an erganomic/ preference things.

I have seen incredable things about the cz 75, and probably should consider one.

I know there are a million other choices of 9s that would be considered better guns and have more suport for things.

That being said i really like the baby eagle. It just kindof fit.

The point of it being made for 41 ae is a very good point. I knew 45 was an afterthought and not suported both in house or aftermarket, but i didnt think about the not being engineered for the caliber.

Ive heard things about the 97b and long triger reach due to the larger frame as a bit of an erganomic/ preference things.

Then I say go for the 9mm Baby Eagle...seems you like the feel, fit, and finish.

If you like your Baby Eagle...you can keep your Baby Eagle!  :hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

If you like the way it shoots, you shoot it well, and it fits your wants and needs, then the decision is made.

It would appear that it is then. Now to close on the house so I can go get a new FPID and some permits!

HHMMM, I think enough has been said, Baby Eagle in 9mm! You shot it well, It felt good, and the rounds are cheaper! Seams like a win, win to me. thanks to the group for the info!

You're just glad that'll slow down my consumption of 45 till you decide to have the press wind up in my basement =p

9mm is a great round and it's way cheaper to shoot. I can shoot almost triple the rounds for the same price. Plus it feels like you're shooting something, unlike shooting a 22LR handgun.

I beg to differ. I go to the range regularly. Guys come and go and I'm still there. It's because they're shooting 30-40 cent/round stuff and I'm shooting 4-5-7 cent .22s. I also shoot big calibers, but I could not afford that for 3-4 hours unless the bulk of what I shoot was .22lr. I have three guns in that caliber and I'd never trade or sell them. I sense a caliber war coming.

Ya know I never really thought of myself as shooting well. I'm kind of surprised how many have said I shot that really well. With that in mind I thought I'd share a .45 target from last weekpost-6543-0-83640600-1415753462_thumb.jpg

I don't turn these out every one but this is what I can get on a good day

9mm all the way.  If you don't reload, there's nothing wrong with having a gun that shoots ammo that's sometimes less than 20 cents a bang, and if you do reload and bother to pick up your brass can almost rival a 22lr shooting mini mags for price.

Not to muddy the waters though, if you are sold on the baby eagle, you must try the CZ. As Glen said it's the gun that the baby eagle was modeled after, it's more customizable, and it's more available. Built like a brick just like the eagle, and you will feel like you are holding something kind of like a 45 eagle. Also, if you are like some of us and like a solid feeling gun that has a bit more heft, try the CZ SP-01. It weighs a little more which gives it less felt recoil and keeps it on target for more accurate quick picking up of the target, and it feels like a gun in your hands while having excellent balance. You owe it to yourself to give the CZs a whirl before you buy.

CZ-75B is a great gun, I have two of them as you can see in my sig below.  It's funny as I have been using my Glock G34 mostly lately and took the stainless CZ to the range earlier this week and had forgotten how much better I can actually shoot it.  If you want to try one sometime at RTSP just let me know.  I might even consider parting with the stainless one as I don't really need two of them.  Why I have two is a story for another day.

It's a little far for you, but if you have a yen to try the CZ SP-01, I can guest you at Heritage in Easton and you can try mine also. On the weekend we could probably twist Glens arm and get him to bring the 75B along as well.  

Howard, i beleive rtsp has one in their rental inventory. I really apreciate the offer but my schedule has gone to shot lately so im not sure when id be able to keet up with you, however if i take to it i might have to talk you out of one of yours.

Sof, i apreciate the offer as well, but i dont think im making easton in the near future

FYI - I was close to getting a Baby Eagle but already have two CZs (the 75B & P01) and my wife said, "Why do you want to get another gun almost exactly like two that you already have?" ....so I bought the Ruger SR1911.  I love my wife!  :)

I've heard great things about the Baby Eagle but if you haven't held and shot the gun it's based on you really should.

I don't think you really can wrong with the Baby Eagle though.  Let us know what you think after you try the CZ75 or CZ SP01.

Some day I'll eventually add the Baby Eagle and the Tangfolio/EAA Witness to my collection. 

so i finally got to shoot a cz75 today. I didn't shoot it well at all. The grip felt chunky in my hand and i just couldn't get comfortable with it. Im glad i gave it a go, but my impression

was "ok"

i wasnt shooting bad either today, heres 22 rounds, and even though i had a few flyers it was pretty consistant

so looks like theres a BEagle in my future. I had cash in hand (working on permits) but the one i fondled recently was gone.