Sign in to follow this  
302w

CR123 chargers

I'm looking to buy 6x CR123 rechargeable batteries and a charger. This is mostly for screwing around with flashlights and no serious work. I am buying regular CR123 batteries for anything important.

I see on ebay most bundles include cheap batteries and a "universal smart charger". The charger concerns me because it also charges everything else and "Cheap" "Ebay" and "universal" don't mix well. Are they a hazard? So long as they aren't a waste of money I will likely pick one up.

I am stocking a small amount of real batteries, but it just that my dad burns them up taking the dogs out and stuff. It would be nice to have some POS rechargeables. I would like my investment to be under $20.

OK. First everything lithium and rechargeable is a hazard. If you don't understand the mechanics of how your particular chosen cells can fail, just buy primaries. Your dwelling burning down or being permanently injured by an outgassing, high energy lithium cell is simply not worth it compared to hitting up battery junction for $1 a cell titanium brand primaries. They work great.  If you are looking at getting cells and a charger for under $20, stop and just buy some cheap primaries. At that price point either the charger is junk, the batters are unprotected junk, or both. Both is a very dangerous combination. 

Put it this way. Doing a quick web search for RCR123 batteries at the usual places of good deals, The cheapest protected cell I have found is $4 each, and it's brand not on the top of my list for trusting with QC and safety. Step up to a brand I trust, and it is minimum $5 per cell and for decent miliamp hours, about $7. Chargers I trust for a 4 port run about $35-60-, $20-40 for a two port. 

Looking around ebay, the closest to what you want would be the tenergy 4pc of liFePo4 RCR123a and their cheap ass wall charger for lifepo. That is assuming that it isn't counterfeit. The lifepo chemistry has a much lower chance of burning your house down if it goes wrong. I still wouldn't want one to offgas in a sealed metal tube in my pocket, so you won't see me buying from ebay. Heck, I won't even buy form amazon for high density rechargeables. 

Don't be cheap. When your light is eating up $2+  a pop on a frequent basis, you recover the cost differential quickly. 

My $0.02. 

My current charger is this http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-d4-digicharger.html 4 port nitecore smart digital. supports most everything, and I can run it off my fold up solar panel if needed.