Kingsoverqueens

Anyone else find this overwhelming?

OK, we will do that.

Thanks. 

In the meantime I'm buying a stripped lower.  

Its kinda like when I built/renovated my house.

Months of planning and talk didn't seem real until I a took a sawzall and took down the first wall.  

"Ok hun...no turning back."

That I get.

But some of the rollmarks are pretty hokey looking.

Anderson seriously has Parlay and Plunder on their Jolly Roger lower.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I mean, it would be nice for National Pirate day at the range.

Who makes a plain non-stamped lower?  

You know, for those who prefer to let their shooting say it all. :cool:

Well everyone stamps SOMETHING there, because that is the serialized part so at the very least they need to have the name and serial number and its a big flat spot so everyone puts something there. Some are more discrete then others.  Unless you paint it in or something, you'll never remember its there after a while. 

I also firmly believe your time and research should go more into the trigger group and barrel than the lower reciever markings, but you will get to that point in time

^^ agreed.

Even more importantly however, trigger control, body position, and manipulations should be the priority before trigger group and barrel.

That being said, you still need a quality lower to build a rifle.

The lowers in my safe right now - I have 3 stripped lowers - are all Stag. Other than my issued Colt rifles, all of my built guns are on Stag or Defensive Edge/Sullivan Rifle SLR15 lowers. I do have one Bushmaster lower still being used (the FDE gun from earlier in this thread) but that is the only remaining BM part on the gun. I would like to get a BCM lower, just to satisfy my OCD and have a complete BCM rifle, but people are asking a premium for them that I don't feel like paying.

I don't really like Spikes (have seen a few too many out of spec lowers from them) but their Warhawk lower does call to me as just being too cool.

My old stand by is a 10+ year old Rock River, I also have a Spikes I used for my wife, both were fine. 

The thing is that there are like 4 or 5 people actually making these things and they get branded by everyone. I've also seen/heard of "good" brands "producing" lemons. Right now I say it's a bit of a crap shoot, anyone can have a crappy one made on worn out machinery from the last 2 years of madness. Most everyone will make good on it if that happens.  

Heck, I recently bought a VLTOR upper, because everyone sung their tight tolerances and such, and the barrel hole was .002 over sized. Well, thats not really true, it was between 1.000 and 1.004 because it was also out of round so .. yeah. 

I have had most major ones. My favorite is a Noveske lower that has yet to be built on. To fulfill my OCD I bought the bullet and bought a complete BCM lower to go with my complete BCM upper to have a complete BCM rifle that is my baby.

Only lowers I will buy now out of some weird fixation will be

BCM

Colt

Noveske or DD.

If I can do it......ANYONE can do it.  Read up a little, discuss here and ask as many questions you can think of ....and then ask a few more!  You'll get good feedback, suggestions and input.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/64490-good-entry-level-off-the-shelf-buy/

Considering my first AR.

Building is obviously and option, but I'm a noob.

I don't understand the vernacular.  All you guys talk in acronyms.  

As an example, I figured out what a BSG is, but still don't fully appreciate what it does, and the why and how of what it does affecting the performance of the firearm.

I've read some of the threads including the AR for Noobs stickied at the top.

I'm really torn with just buying a colt or M&P 15 off the rack and calling it a day.

I'm OK if you point and laugh. 

: )

What's a "BSG"?? 

Don't get hung up on all the jargon.  I was a little hung up on all the details & jargon as well when I first started.  Don't think if it as "overwhelming"....think of it as "challenging". 

I believe the Anderson lowers that Steve at Monmouth Arms has are the plain, vanilla, boring, basic lowers.  I have an Anderson lower.  I think it's the same type that Steve is selling.  I wish I had purchased mine from him....I paid double what he is asking (don't get any ideas about raising your prices Steve!).

Read through my thread.  I have pics, videos and asked a ton of questions which may be some of the same questions you have.  Maybe it will put you more at ease.

Nothing wrong with purchasing off the shelf though.  Personally, I learned a great deal from reading on the net, watching Youtube reviews, and fellow forum members.  I also just wanted to see if I could do it.  It's easy.....especially if you are just building the lower and purchasing a completed upper.

Your are letting the internet tacticool crowd-mind to control your purchases :)

Kinda agree.....

The brands Blksheep listed are quality, and quality has it's place - and it's price. Has nothing to do with tacticool (maybe a little to do with OCD :D)

From talking with industry folks and attending Colt Armorer's school, touring the S&W plant, and having a cousin-in-law in the business (engineer with S&W AR program) I know that not all lowers/uppers/parts are created equal.

While yes, only a few companies out there make the lowers/uppers/parts that the big names are using, there are grades/levels of quality involved that are reflected in price.

There is also a hierarchy or pecking order of who gets first pick of the different lots. I know for a fact that Colt gets their order filled before Stag and if necessary Stag will accept lowers that Colt rejected for QC/QA reasons to fill the numbers they need. Who knows who picks after Stag, and after the company after Stag, and on and on and on....

Different companies also buy the lowers in different states of completeness. I know that Defensive Edge gauges and measures each blank lower for spec before they finish them them in-house to their own exacting tolerances.

Yes, any company can get a lemon or build a bad gun/part. For some companies, it is rare, for others the good rifles are the rarity. The smart consumer is educated and chooses wisely.

I don't really like Spikes (have seen a few too many out of spec lowers from them) but their Warhawk lower does call to me as just being too cool.

Ugh talk about hokey looking. I like the seekins billet lowers

Posted Image

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've built a Budget AR - I have a whole thread on it.  Cost me less than $800 before optics.  Optics are what will drive up the costs.

I wish I hadn't sold it - but Fishnut benefits from my loss :)

You can really customize it to your needs when you build your own versus buying a general rifle and having to change everything.

Kinda agree.....

The brands Blksheep listed are quality, and quality has it's place - and it's price. Has nothing to do with tacticool (maybe a little to do with OCD :D)

From talking with industry folks and attending Colt Armorer's school, touring the S&W plant, and having a cousin-in-law in the business (engineer with S&W AR program) I know that not all lowers/uppers/parts are created equal.

While yes, only a few companies out there make the lowers/uppers/parts that the big names are using, there are grades/levels of quality involved that are reflected in price.

There is also a hierarchy or pecking order of who gets first pick of the different lots. I know for a fact that Colt gets their order filled before Stag and if necessary Stag will accept lowers that Colt rejected for QC/QA reasons to fill the numbers they need. Who knows who picks after Stag, and after the company after Stag, and on and on and on....

Different companies also buy the lowers in different states of completeness. I know that Defensive Edge gauges and measures each blank lower for spec before they finish them them in-house to their own exacting tolerances.

Yes, any company can get a lemon or build a bad gun/part. For some companies, it is rare, for others the good rifles are the rarity. The smart consumer is educated and chooses wisely.

I am curious who makes the AR15.com lower I have.. that thing is made really nice..

I'm diggin this upper lower combo lately --

Comes from joe bob outfitters and the lower looks pretty identical to what Midwest PX was offering as their "House" lower without the spartan and lettering

JB-SPARTAN15-26.jpg

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_15_Enhanced_Billet_Lower_Receiver_p/jb-spartan15.htm

You know .. I  don't really buy that.  

First, people taking tours of Colt have pictures of their reciever machining process (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/318113_AR_Lower_Receiver_FAQ__56k_beware__MMS__CMT__LAR__LMT_compared___.html&page=11)

Secondly, CMT is one of the big receiver makers and Stag is their fully owned subsidiary. I very much doubt they would sell seconds under their primary house brand. 

Thirdly, this things are made by laser guided robots. Most of the dimensions should be right, the worst case is that drilled holes might be done with a worn bit and frankly half the time thats not a bad thing.

I will agree that there is basically a LOT of incestuous and/or adulterous relations  going on in the lower/upper manufacturing world, and you don't really know who is making what to what spec, but my experience is that if you stay with big names you will get a quality product or make it right, specially if you order from the major vendors who have the whole return policy thing figured out. 

What really matters is who did the final machining of the raw forging.

The forgings are supplied by several different vendors. Colt, for example, buys from a few sources, such as Brass/aluminum forge, Cerro, and Anchor Harvey to name a couple.

These vendors supply the forgings to Colt's specs, and Colt finishes the machine work in house.