1LtCAP

fitness

dunno if this has been discussed yet......

but.....at the ripe old age of 52, i have suddenly realized that my physical abilities suck, as compared to just 15 years ago. i'm not talking about gym time. i'm talking about flexibility, and the ability to run/walk/jog distances, whether or not i'm carrying anything, or wearing anything heavy. or if i had to fight. or run away. or anything extended.

i'm not really sure how to get back into decent shape, as i don't have the time to get to a gym during normal hours. for now though, i've gotten a cheap treadmill, and have started working myself up on that. once i can go a bit, i'll start jogging the neighborhood i think. would be interested in hearing what some of you guys do to stay fit?

I stick to the treadmill. I run 3.5 miles per day everyone morning at 4am before I go to work. With the kids for me it's the best time to do it. I ran a lot of miles in the marines and started getting shin splints running around he neighborhood. The treadmill helped that. I just hit 40 and I still feel like I'm 20. For now I'll enjoy it. I also do weights 3 times a week. Nothing crazy. I started back up just like you are. Slow and steady. You'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 47.

I started watching my diet and doing 30 minutes of eliptical/cardio exercise every other day back in January.

I'm down 45 pounds from 263 and feel great.

But as good as I feel, I'm shot the day after an event.  

Everything aches.

I've never been flexible.  Ever.

Getting old sucks.

i don't have the time to get to a gym during normal hours.

What are normal hours?

Crossfit worked for me while I did it and it really only required about 30 - 40 mins for a full workout.  It's not for everyone but it had helped me, especially with core strength.

I don't know how to say this any more bluntly: movement is critical for health.  If you can't run, just get out and walk.  If you prefer a treadmill, that's fine too.  It really doesn't matter.  Work up to 30-40 minutes a day, at least three days a week, and preferably 5-6 (or even 7) days.  

Once you are doing some consistent walking, start to mix in some running.  Run slowly for a little while until you don't feel like doing more, then go back to walking.  Catch your breath, recover a bit, and then run a little more.  As you continue to do this, you will find you are able to run more and more.

Restrain your enthusiasm at first, because your heart and lungs adapt a lot more quickly than your muscles and tendons, so it is easy to get injured.

If that happens, you are likely to just say screw it and skip the whole thing.

If you want something more structured, there are programs for this all over the internet called C25K (couch to 5K), which will get you from complete inactivity to running 5K (just over three miles) in a few months.  

It's also a good idea to incorporate some light weight work 2-3 days per week, using dumbbells or even just your body weight.  Some stretching and dynamic movement exercises are helpful as well, although I would recommend that you stay away from plyometrics for awhile.

We can talk about diet and nutrition another time.  PM me if you need more help with this.

yea..... i let myself fall into the couch potato thing. it sucks. never even realized it till some stuff started fitting a bit tighter than it should.....and as mentioned, i'm finding myself not able to do things i used to. i know some of that's gonna happen....but when i have trouble climbing up onto the back of my tow truck......sumthin's not right...........gotta fix that.

I don't know how to say this any more bluntly: movement is critical for health.  If you can't run, just get out and walk.  If you prefer a treadmill, that's fine too.  It really doesn't matter.  Work up to 30-40 minutes a day, at least three days a week, and preferably 5-6 (or even 7) days.  

Once you are doing some consistent walking, start to mix in some running.  Run slowly for a little while until you don't feel like doing more, then go back to walking.  Catch your breath, recover a bit, and then run a little more.  As you continue to do this, you will find you are able to run more and more.

Restrain your enthusiasm at first, because your heart and lungs adapt a lot more quickly than your muscles and tendons, so it is easy to get injured.

If that happens, you are likely to just say screw it and skip the whole thing.

If you want something more structured, there are programs for this all over the internet called C25K (couch to 5K), which will get you from complete inactivity to running 5K (just over three miles) in a few months.  

It's also a good idea to incorporate some light weight work 2-3 days per week, using dumbbells or even just your body weight.  Some stretching and dynamic movement exercises are helpful as well, although I would recommend that you stay away from plyometrics for awhile.

We can talk about diet and nutrition another time.  PM me if you need more help with this.

i do limit myself right now on the treadmill. i feel stupid doing short stints, at slower speeds....but i ain't about hurting myself. i gotta do something about my diet too. i've been a pretty crappy eater as long as i can remember. basically, if it's good for me, chances are good i don't like it. at the very least though, i have cut my soda intake in a BIG way. i drink in a week now, what i used to drink in a day.

one of the other things that brought this ot my attention, is that during a rifle training class, we had to fire underneath a simulated car, and in another instance we had to fire from prone. not a single one of us in that class had an easy time getting into, or out of those positions.

it's kinda weird how this crap manages to sneak up on us.

I was in the same boat 4 yrs ago. Thought I was in "shape" until I couldn't even do playing catch with my boys and not feel like ass afterwards. Fast forward 4yrs I just tested and completed my black belt test in tae kwon do. Starting martial arts was the best decision I could have made. I'm physically in better shape, can defend myself, more flexible and cardio wise can do a 45 minute burn without much fuss.

I was in great shape until 3 years ago. It got started after a serious injury at work laid me up for 13 months. Then 3 kids, little sleep and a crazy work schedule kept me from getting anything done. I really need to make an effort to get back in shape starting next year. I want to be around for my kids and my schedule and job already take its toll on me

Yes, testosterone. Bet it is low

Or it could just be that we are old lazy and fat.

The thing I would recommend to everyone is get a dog and walk it 5miles each day. That will get you moving, then take it from there.

Why the dog? Because once you get him used to daily or twice daily walks, the bastard won't let you say I'll just skip today.

i think i fall into the catagory. i ain't old yet, at 52....but i think that outside of work, i've gotten dam lazy. not fat yet, but i think i might've been on the way there.  can't have a dog, 'cause mom stays with me part of the year, and doesn't like dogs. when she's not here, i'm not home enough to be fair to the dog........

Old Glock Guy is spot on

It sucks when you first start off. Just get yourself a device to listen to your favorite music. The next thing you know you'll be hooked . i hit the gym every other day, Its the only way i can stay competitive with the younger guys on the job... :)   

Or it could just be that we are old lazy and fat.

The thing I would recommend to everyone is get a dog and walk it 5miles each day. That will get you moving, then take it from there.

Why the dog? Because once you get him used to daily or twice daily walks, the bastard won't let you say I'll just skip today.

Too true.  Having a dog is what finally got me to stop being such a fat ass.  Switching to a paleo diet is the other thing.  Went from 318 to 239 over the last year, mostly through diet and walking the dog.  Started lifting 4 days a week using the Jim Wendler 5/3/1 program a few months ago, and I'm really enjoying it.

Crossfit is as good as it gets for general health and growing attitude that you can deal with whatever life is going to throw at you. Have to find a good coach who will know how to train older people.

Here is some inspiration - 

:)

There is online crossfit journal and forum with a lot of advice how to start and avoid injuries.

If crossfit is not an option then jogging/running/swimming can be done practically at any time. Find a running club in the area, they will help a lot because running is better when you have somebody to talk to, believe it or not. And it will be easier to stick to running.

About time to exercise. I know running and crossfit multi-kids moms with full time jobs who wake up at 4-5am in the morning to run or do exercises. If there is a will there is a way. 

dunno if this has been discussed yet......

but.....at the ripe old age of 52, i have suddenly realized that my physical abilities suck, as compared to just 15 years ago. i'm not talking about gym time. i'm talking about flexibility, and the ability to run/walk/jog distances, whether or not i'm carrying anything, or wearing anything heavy. or if i had to fight. or run away. or anything extended.

i'm not really sure how to get back into decent shape, as i don't have the time to get to a gym during normal hours. for now though, i've gotten a cheap treadmill, and have started working myself up on that. once i can go a bit, i'll start jogging the neighborhood i think. would be interested in hearing what some of you guys do to stay fit?

Old Glock Guy is spot on

Thank you very much!  As silverado notes, listening on an Ipod is helpful.  It's also motivating if you can find other people to either work out with, or at least talk about it with.  Taking fitness classes where you're one of only two or three guys in a group of 25-30 women can be fun.  Go out to Dick's or Sports Authority to get some new shoes and workout clothes.  Go to some message boards where people are discussing running and fitness.

I'm 62 years old, and have been active my entire life.  When I finished school, I wasn't playing any more team sports, so I started jogging, just to keep in shape.  Thirty-five years later, I'm still a geek about my running, putting in lots of miles and competing on roads, track, and cross country, mostly at distances of 3-10 miles.  I get to the gym a few days a week to work on strength, with an emphasis on core strength; and flexibility, which I find is a losing battle.  

Seriously, I'm a big advocate (in a quiet way) of fitness, health, and nutrition.  If anyone would like more help with this, feel free to PM me.  I'm not a personal trainer, and I'm not trying to sell any fitness program, or otherwise make money at this.  I'm just passionate about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and would like to help anyone who might be interested.

^ listen to this guy! he says he is 62 and he looks like he is 40! For the younger guys that are still in shape don't wait to realize your out of shape to start to get back into shape. After a serious back injury in my late 20s I was inactive for a year culminating with a major back surgery and 3 more months of no activity at all I realized I was starting to gain some weight and I was definitely out of shape. Now I am 31 and pretty good shape. I don't go to the gym or run but I do walk my dogs regularly and I try to hike 4-10 miles every sunday. I also snowboard usually once a week during the season.  Also I try to eat a somewhat healthy diet, I don't drink soda or eat fast food at all and I also limit my processed foods and fried foods. Also I usually only eat 2 meals a day because of my work schedule. My diet and exercise and a high metabolism allow me to eat the foods I enjoy in what ever quantity I want and drink beer and still maintain the same weight as when I was in highschool!     

I am 52 as well.

Old injuries are really creeping up on me and I recognize that I need to get back into the fitness game

Any advice I would give Op at this point would sound like  do s I say and not as I do.

I've slacked off on fitness since I got out of the Guard a few years ago and I'm starting to notice it this year

^ listen to this guy! he says he is 62 and he looks like he is 40! For the younger guys that are still in shape don't wait to realize your out of shape to start to get back into shape    

THIS is advice you young guys should heed. we were all one of you at some point....and i personally was one of the "that'll never happen to me" goofs. now, here i am, at 52, not capable of even half of what i was when i was 25. ima working on that though, and before summer of 2015, i will be mostly back in some semblance of decent shape.

don't let yourselves go if ya can help it. it's harder to get back, than t is to maintain.

I'm 43 (44 next month) and was in a similar situation... My weight got up to 264 after 10 years of no exercising and eating like crap.  Getting married, having kids, work, and etc made me ignore my health for the last few years and also ended up with sleep apnea because of my weight.  I didn't look fat, because I'm 6'2" and I guess I carried the weight without it making me look fat... but I was definitely way overweight.  I had enough of getting up in the morning and feeling like crap... I felt like someone much older than I am.  Back in May of this year I joined a gym that opened up right near my house that is owned and run by a former professional kickboxer and 5th degree black belt under both Bill "superfoot" Wallace and Joe Lewis.  The workout is mostly HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and similar to the kind of training that an MMA fighter would do.  Also do some kickboxing once a week at this place too.  I've been doing it for 5 or 6 months now and I feel amazing and have lost about 47 lbs.  I feel stronger and healthier now than I did in my 20's.  Now that I'm back in shape, I try to do as much cardio as I can... running, biking, etc...  Amazing results and it's changed my life.  If you can find any kind of place in your area that provides this kind of exercise program, I highly recommend it.

I also changed up my diet and try to eat as healthy as possible... Yeah I still have pizza and ice cream once in a while... but now I try to mostly eat "clean" and have plenty of vegetables, fruit and lean protein. Cutting out as much processed food as you can is key.