Sign in to follow this  
Smokin .50

Prepping for Tomorrows' Pheasant Hunt at Giberson's Preserve

Going hunting for Pheasant at Giberson's Preserve (in Pemberton, NJ) tomorrow morning.  Part of a hunting party of four.  We're all friends, so that makes it even nicer!  We're all bringin' Doubles, but mine is a Black Powder Muzzle Loader.  Should be LOADS of FUN!  I plan on capping-off in my basement and loading both barrels tonight, prior to transport.

Has anyone here been there lately?  I hunted there a coupla years ago and had a wonderful time.  For those that are interested, go to Facebook and click on their page.

Forgive me for my inexperience with black powder guns but is a black powder gun that is ignited by primers only considered loaded when the primers are in place? as in you can have the gun loaded with powder and projectile and not the primer and be legally allowed to transport in in NJ? 

Forgive me for my inexperience with black powder guns but is a black powder gun that is ignited by primers only considered loaded when the primers are in place? as in you can have the gun loaded with powder and projectile and not the primer and be legally allowed to transport in in NJ? 

YES!  Exactly right!  And this applies to modern In-Line deer rifles, as well as both flintlock and percussion ignition sidelocks.  And because I have a hunting license, I can transport both to and from anywhere legal hunting is allowed w/o a NJFPID Card.  My SxS is a percussion sidelock that utilizes #11 percussion caps, so it's NOT LOADED unless and UNTIL I CAP it. 

Humm pretty cool. you learn something new everyday. thanks! good luck! I will be out at Clinton WMA hoping not to get

shot LOL

A close friend of mine told me a first-person story about him witnessing a Hunter that got shot by another Hunter at Clinton.  Between THAT and the (2) bird limit, I've never hunted at a WMA...

Now that you've told us that you're going to Giberson's tomorrow, your task is to let us all know how it went, what happened, what it cost, was it worth it, etc etc etc so that we can set up another hunt for all of us south jersey-ites to go. 

Now that you've told us that you're going to Giberson's tomorrow, your task is to let us all know how it went, what happened, what it cost, was it worth it, etc etc etc so that we can set up another hunt for all of us south jersey-ites to go. 

I've hunted there previously and really enjoyed myself.  You're treated like Royalty, lol!  Expert Guide Service with Pointers that POINT instead of flush birds out of range, almost brand-new HUGE steel building that houses his and her heated restrooms large enough to change in (with showers?), a "Living Room" set-up complete with widescreen tv and couches, and somethings' always cookin' in the Crock Pot.  Complimentary coffee and cookies.  One-day licenses ($12.50 with proof of passing Hunters' Ed or a previous license) available at check-in.  They do Tower Shoots too so there's plenty of tables and chairs to enjoy a breakfast sandwich or lunch that you've brown-bagged.  Or drive to the Vincentown Diner, just down from the Preserve on Rt. 206.  Family owned and operated.  Bird cleaning station and Bird Exchange for a modest fee per bird ($2 or $3 per).

If you're serious about planning a NJGF Hunt, I'd consider going back.  The season is good until March 31st, but you don't want to wait that long, since the hens are laden with eggs and sometimes stay-put instead of fly.

A 20 Pheasant Package is only $465 plus $60 for the Guide and Dog for a 1/2 Day Hunt.  That works-out to $131.25 pp plus a tip for the Guide, for a 4-person Hunting Party.  Quail & Chukkar also available, but they can "covey" and 20 can take flight all at once.  I like pheasant since the SxS is a 10 ga. and I want something left, lol!

So I hope that I've answered some of your questions.  I'll have an updated report after the hunt.

Dave 

A close friend of mine told me a first-person story about him witnessing a Hunter that got shot by another Hunter at Clinton.  Between THAT and the (2) bird limit, I've never hunted at a WMA...

LOL I was shot by a drunk at Clinton WMA when I was 12. wonder if we have a friend in common. was it about 19 years ago? no major damage to me just a few pellets in my back. it was strange that before the police arrived the drunk who shot me, his face kept on falling on the butt of the rest of my hunting party's shotguns, funny how that happens. it took me until 3 years ago to start hunting on public land again and now I carry a full trauma kit.

I've hunted there previously and really enjoyed myself.  You're treated like Royalty, lol!  Expert Guide Service with Pointers that POINT instead of flush birds out of range, almost brand-new HUGE steel building that houses his and her heated restrooms large enough to change in (with showers?), a "Living Room" set-up complete with widescreen tv and couches, and somethings' always cookin' in the Crock Pot.  Complimentary coffee and cookies.  One-day licenses ($12.50 with proof of passing Hunters' Ed or a previous license) available at check-in.  They do Tower Shoots too so there's plenty of tables and chairs to enjoy a breakfast sandwich or lunch that you've brown-bagged.  Or drive to the Vincentown Diner, just down from the Preserve on Rt. 206.  Family owned and operated.  Bird cleaning station and Bird Exchange for a modest fee per bird ($2 or $3 per).

If you're serious about planning a NJGF Hunt, I'd consider going back.  The season is good until March 31st, but you don't want to wait that long, since the hens are laden with eggs and sometimes stay-put instead of fly.

A 20 Pheasant Package is only $465 plus $60 for the Guide and Dog for a 1/2 Day Hunt.  That works-out to $131.25 pp plus a tip for the Guide, for a 4-person Hunting Party.  Quail & Chukkar also available, but they can "covey" and 20 can take flight all at once.  I like pheasant since the SxS is a 10 ga. and I want something left, lol!

So I hope that I've answered some of your questions.  I'll have an updated report after the hunt.

Dave 

Looking forward to hearing more....and yes; I'l love to spend a morning out after pheasant.

W2MC

UPDATE!!    UPDATE!!

Pheasant Hunt yesterday at Giberson's in Pemberton, NJ was an absolute BLAST!  The place hasn't changed a bit since I was last there and is just the way I remembered it (as stated above, you're treated like Royalty!).  Weather was perfect, action was great and the Guide used his 7 yr. old well trained POINTER that didn't accidentally flush a single bird!  Our 4-person Hunting Party consisted of two experienced male Hunters and two experienced women trap hooters whom have never hunted until yesterday.  Out of the 20 birds (released in two stages), we harvested 18, for a 90% success rate, so there were smiles all around!  Our Guide cleaned all of our birds, except for one Cockbird which one of the women saved for mounting at a Taxidermist and 1-2 were breasted by one of the Ladies who wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty!

The mighty roar of the 10 ga. spewed smoke, fire and LEAD and the Pheasants (I shot (7) including (1) I had "helped with") once again fell from the sky, lol!  My 1 3/4 oz. load of #6 was good enough for a Cylinder Bore harvest at 40 yards, so I was also smilin' from ear-to-ear!  In fact the Pointer was so well behaved I never had to "rush" a loading so I never used my second barrel!  When I shot, the bird fell from the sky, so no need for a 2nd shot!  I loaded "out-of-the-pouch", using my Possibles Bag to contain all of the necessary supplies, including pre-measured powder tubes for the black powder, and a plastic bag with over-powder cards, cushioned shot wads, prescription bottles with the 1.75 oz. of pellets and over-shot cards (used so the pellets don't "roll-out" all on their own, lol).  The guns' ramrod was utilized to reload the muzzleloader each time.

After all of the excitement, we settled-up with JoHanna (she owns the place) and left the rest of our birds for cleaning while we all went to the Vincentown Diner right down the street.  After a delicious lunch with the Ladies, we drove back to the Preserve, where all of our breasted meat was waiting for us in Ziplock bags, ready for transport!

I really can't wait to go back!  I have (3) complete breasts in my Crock-Pot as I type this....Pheasant Chili w/ peppers, onions, garlic, chili powder, paprika and a McCormack Chili sauce mix is starting to smell-up the house already, lol!  I have (2) more breasts to make a pasta dish with in my cast iron skillet.  Going to make them with EVOO sauteed breast meat w/ minced garlic and add in some onions and spaghetti sauce.  Gettin' hungry just thinkin' about it, lol!

Did I mention I wanna do this AGAIN, lol?

Dave

very nice. please don't post a pic of that meal as I will either break a finger going for it or chip a tooth! lol.   sounds like fun. I live 20 minutes from there but have never been there. shame on me.

Im off every third weekend and every Tuesday if someone needs a 4th!  lol. 

congrats on the great day.

Nick

Yes! my son and I would be interested - we hunted at Bent Creek last year and had a blast! shot 7 out of the 10 pheasants released, the dogs were so much fun

Hunting over a good, seasoned bird dog is the only way to appreciate what upland hunting is all about.

I'm definitely interested!  My O/U would be great for Pheasant...

Will standard birdshot work or should we stock up on slightly larger shells?

A double would be ideal, offering two different payloads. Some like 7 1/2's for pattern density, others like 6's or 5's for better penetration. When cover is sparse, when birds are skittish and shots are long, when the weather is cold; 6's & 5's will give you an edge. When you use a double, put the smaller-sized shot in the more open-choked barrel, larger shot in the tighter choked barrel. Factor the size of the payload for gauge as well to pick the right choke. If you're hunting over pointing dogs, shots will be fairly close, so something like IC/M would be fine.

with a double late in the year I have high brass 6s in the first barrel and high brass 5s in the 2nd barrel.

hunting over a dog with a single barrel gun I' have the IC choke in the gun and have 7 1/2s as the first shot and 6s as follow up.

Nick

Lead shot is all you need, and 225 of #6 pellets should be fine when launched at that published velocity. A 1 oz. load is enough for many of the shots you'll encounter on a preserve over dogs. 1 oz. works equally well in the 20 ga. & 16 ga. too, but others like to boost their 12's to as much as 1 1/4 oz. or even 1 3/8 oz. for pheasant.

Lead shot is all you need, and 225 of #6 pellets should be fine when launched at that published velocity. A 1 oz. load is enough for many of the shots you'll encounter on a preserve over dogs. 1 oz. works equally well in the 20 ga. & 16 ga. too, but others like to boost their 12's to as much as 1 1/4 oz. or even 1 3/8 oz. for pheasant.

Just checking back in to the thread I started, and SO glad I did!  LOTS of GREAT information here by Parker and both Nicks!

Not for you Parker, but for the new guys:

Hunting over a well-trained pointer that POINTS is sheer pleasure, and enables hunters to make shorter-range harvests, provided you get on the birds efficiently and in a timely manner.  Gawking with your mouth open and cheek off the stock for too long will cause a miss (everybody does it their first trip, since Cockbirds in flight are a magnificent thing to watch) especially with #7 1/2's in a cylinder bore or IC choke.  That's why folks like Parker and I recommend a wider choke for the first shot (so the meat isn't blown all to hell) and a narrower choke (with a denser pattern, good for longer range) in case you miss with the first barrel.  

Harvesting birds efficiently is all about pattern density and ENERGY at a given distance, as has been described above.   A low-brass  (3 Dram) # 7 1/2 with an IC choke is all you need for most shots at short distances while using a well-trained pointer in a Hunting Party of four, since the Party is split up w/ 2 Hunters on each side of the row of sorghum (for instance).  The pheasant will fly to one side or the other as the guide flushes it, so Hunters work in teams and take turns to maximize the percentage of birds harvested.  In so doing, we cover each other and wait for the selected Hunter to get his or her bird.  If the Hunter whose turn it is misses twice, the back-up then uses their longer-range tube to get the bird.  A selector switch on Doubles is there for THAT express purpose, however a Hunter can merely break-open their gun and switch tubes with their two shells when it's their turn (so the wider choke is used first to save meat).

That all being said, in the cold on a windy day #6's have more ENERGY (knock-down power) and are the recommended maximum shot size at most Preserves.  Reason being is that #6's will lose their energy quicker than larger pellets (for instance Buckshot), and thus travel a shorter distance so as to enable multiple Hunting Parties to be in adjacent fields on the same Preserve.

In my specific case, using a muzzleloader w/o any screw-in chokes, I have to select which barrel to use by using one of two triggers (one for each sidelock's hammer).  Last Friday I only used CYLINDER BORE (OPEN choke) for all 7 birds.  I was able to do this due to selecting the use of #6 pellets and using a suitable quantity (1 3/4 oz.) to guarantee pattern density at 35+ yards. Since I patterned the gun with my custom loading, the 40 yard shot I took while backing-up one of the Ladies was still an efficient harvest with sufficient energy, so I took the shot.

If enough interest is garnered to make more than a single NJGF Hunting Party of four, we can always book a second Guide and Pointer........so keep posting any additional interest!

Dave

Active military can get a NJ hunting license at resident prices...... See http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/als/websalesintro.htm

They also have special one day license for $13 or so. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

He does, though, need to have passed a hunter ed course, or have a previous hunting license.....

He had a license a long long time ago. I wonder if it would be in the data base

Whether it's in the database or not I'm not sure.  Now if he can FIND it in a file cabinet OR his original card from passing the test, he's GTG!  I had passed the test and filed the card.  a decade later I decided to hunt and the card was all i needed.