Sign in to follow this  
Smokin .50

Prepping for Tomorrows' Pheasant Hunt at Giberson's Preserve

The unwritten secret.....just show up!  They'll run everyone that shows up thru the course, and you'll get your card.

YES indeed, the unwritten secret!  Bring cash!

Seriously, go to Dick's or the Guild and get the free DVD and Booklet on Hunter Safety Education.  Do your homework and show-up.  10 yr old kids pass the test.  HARD questions like identifying what gauge a shell is from reading the headstamp.

/\  what he said. show up and they will put you thru. they aren't turning down an opportunity to make a few $$.

Nick

Yep. It's all about the Benjamin's.

The state is now selling their surplus of extra pheasants that they stock on WMA's, with some 5,000 birds that will be offered for sale. I spoke with one of the upland biologists last week and they feel it is more prudent to offer their "overstock" for sale rather than dole out the cost of feed for them. Since the habitat cannot support them should they stock them after January, this is the best solution per the state for them.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2014/pheasantsale14.htm

Glad to see you had a good time! I grew up in Pemberton and went to school with the Gibersons. Good to hear it's still a place worth going. I'll have to tell my pop to take my two younger brothers next year since I am in SC and am not making a trip back north anytime soon if I don't have to.

^^^^^Thanks!  I really enjoyed the hunting trip.  Harvesting Flyin' Chickens with a muzzleloader is a REAL treat, lol!  I think one of the brothers planted our first set of birds for us.  Always nice service!

My son and I hunted one of the WMA's today.  His first hunt, my second.  I pulled him out of school early for the occasion. 

No dog so we had to work.

I flushed one bird and hit it and then spend close to an hour trying to find it, to no avail.  VERY upset I couldn't find the bird.

He hunted with his Grandfathers Spanish Zaballa Side by and me my new (to me) Silver Pigeon.

For some reason I'm unable to upload photo's.

Do you need to be a premier member to upload pics? 

That's too bad having one getting away. The euphoric high of knocking down a bird tempered by not finding it is a bummer. Pheasants have that knack of vanishing into thin air at times and ruining a good day. A good bird dog is the only remedy for that. I've had dogs find pheasants in all kind of weird places; buried completely under snow, hollow logs, woodchuck holes, under a hollowed bank in a small stream, and small rock crevices. I'd have never found any of them if it wasn't for the dog.

Point on a hen bird that was hiding in some rocks at Whittingham WMA some years ago:

120109-2.jpg

yea it happens (not recovering). if/when I knock a bird down I try to get to the spot as soon as possible....SAFELY. 

I'm sure I hit the bird and good.  Close range shot from directly behind and a LOT of feathers went flying.

Is it possible the bird was still alive when it hit the ground and ran away?

My son resigned himself to that scenario but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

He saw the feathers fly so there was no doubt the bird was hit.

UGH!  That natural beige camo did it again!  I once walked right by a hidden cock bird and never saw it.  Dog smelled it and held point, so we "rattled the leaves" and out he popped and we got him a second or two later.  It takes lots of skill do hunt w/o a dog.  Glad you had a good time with the son!

I'm sure I hit the bird and good.  Close range shot from directly behind and a LOT of feathers went flying.

Is it possible the bird was still alive when it hit the ground and ran away?

My son resigned himself to that scenario but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

He saw the feathers fly so there was no doubt the bird was hit.

That's too bad. But, any day out in the field is a good day.

On broken wing hits a pheasant will go down, sometimes will tumble spectacularly end-over-end in the air only to hit the ground running like Usain Bolt sporting latest pair of Puma's. Birds hit from behind can absorb a lot of pellets and keep flying. (Larger shot sizes like #5's & #4's have an advantage in these situations.) One telltale sign to look for is a leg drop. When they drop their legs it means they've taken a pellet or two and one or both legs are broken. They won't go far once they land. The only kicker to that is they may not land as long as their wings are beating and they often will fly off until out of sight. In this case unless you have a general direction of where they went, lots of patience, and/or a good dog; chances are you'll never find them.

They can hide pretty good even in plain sight!

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjIuanBn.jpg

OK, thanks guys.

I feel a little better anyway.

I mean, I was really bummed about wasting the bird.  

Wildlife is a precious gift, and I believe that if you shoot it, or catch it, and kill it, you should eat it.

I boil chicken bones for cyring out loud to make soup.

Hardcore.

I admit to looking forward to the hero photo holding my first bird, but more so that my son and I could process it and turn it into a meal.

There is something special about that process, and as a foodie I was really looking forward to the entire experience.