RTSP1

RTSP Feedback & Suggestions

When it came time for my training many years ago in customer service, the lesson lasted only 10 minutes.  It was very simple and I feel still works today.  Treat your customers the way you would expect to be treated coming through the door, and always mind you manners.  We were then taken outside turned around and walked back into the business. The trainer then said to us, "What are your expectations?"  Once we mastered that, we could always see what improvements could be made.  Has not failed me yet. 

I have not shot at your range so I cant speak for that but the only time I have been to your shop I was impressed. I went on my birthday in may just to look around and found seekens precision lower in OD green that I liked for a fair price so I purchased it. before my purchase I was asked by more that one staff member if I needed any help in a professional manor (no pushy sales men) and I declined, when I had made up my mind I asked for help and was helped right away and while waiting for NICS the sales man and I chatted a bit about guns and what not. I have to say that I walked out of your store with my new lower very happy and even though I probably could have found a lower on the net for a bit cheaper. I have no problem paying a few bucks more to support a small business that has great customer service and a comprehensive selection of products to choose from. even though your shop is a bit of a drive for me I am sure that I will be back in the near future to make another purchase. 

This is what I am talking about! Getting it right from the source! I was an Army Ranger then a Cop, over 30 years serving my country and community. I have own businesses for over twenty-five of those years. Nothing is as exciting as this one. You all, the forum! My new community will serve this business well. Your post your comments your gripes and complaints your goodwill and constructive critisim will help make RTSP a model for this State and this country! Be proud that this is happening, be in awe as we move forward and build for a better way of doing business.

How about a "newbie" range time slot? Something members can bring people who have zero experience and lessen the intimidation/fear factors that happen when you're walking a new shooter through the basics on a .22lr pistol and someone else starts blasting away with a DEagle .50AE or something else massive.

How about having a weekly bowling pin shoot open to the public. We used to have one at my old range and had a great turnout every week. Each round was like $5 per shooter. Two shooters would shoot at separate tables at one time. House gets $3 per shooter and the other $2 is placed in a pot for the fastest times of the night. Its a great bonding experience among the community and only takes up 2-3 hours.

You can have a welder make steel bowling pin tables to minimize ricochets and range damage.

Pete-

I've been nothing but pleased with any of my dealings with RTSP. I have purchased four pistols and currently have visiting rights to a fifth (paid off my Beretta Cheetah, and am waiting for my paperwork to come in). Each time the sales staff has been courteous, friendly, and welcoming. In fact, they often point me in the direction of the used cabinet whenever something new and cool comes in... sadly, most of your staff know I'm the guy who likes old Walthers and .380 guns and that's how I found my Cheetah!

The range? Nothing but great experiences. The first day I was there, Kyle, the RSO was great showing me the facilities, and walking my friends through a shooting introduction. That day alone was the reason I made RTSP my home range. Since then, the rest of the RSO's have been extremely friendly, and always say hi when I'm there. Knowing I'm a reloader, they'll push a little extra brass my way just to make sure I go home with a little more than I came with. 

The only time I've had an issue was this past Monday. I stopped in to visit my Cheetah, bought two boxes of ammo and shared a lane with my girlfriend, and got charged for a third box that I didn't notice until I got home. I sent a quick email, and Brad replied with a solution within minutes. That's service!

My only confusion? The in-store credit program for members. I've bought several pistols, a bunch of ammo, and have no idea how much credit I've racked up. The last time I asked someone, they said my account showed no credit. I know I've bought both firearms and ammo since you instituted the program, just wish I could use it to offset some of my costs.

Other than that? Happy customer! I spend so much time there, I often joke with the RSO's about putting on a vest myself. Well, maybe it's not completely a joke!

Candy man, we have been having some issues with our outside vendor that handles the outside loyalty stuff. Next time you are i the shop ask for Brad, he is the technology brain behind our operation. He can get you squared up on how much you have in loyalty credit. Thanks.

I think T Bill hit the nail on the head. Treat your customers how you would like to be treated if it were you on the other side of the counter.

I have on occasion been ignored by a couple of the young sales guys, and i think to myself i wonder how they would react if the shoe was on the other foot.

I realize they are young and only human and maybe don't have the retail people skills down pat. Myself i would strongly urge my sales staff to treat people

the way they would like to be treated. It's a solid way to keep people coming back.  Just because someone doesn't make a purchase one time doesn't mean they wont come back and make several purchases. So in the long run it pays to treat the person whos not buying ,the same way as the guy/girl at the counter who is. I do not envy anyone who works retail.

I haven't shot there since you guys remodeled. Nothing personal, I just am more of a rifle person and I think shooting rifles indoor is a bit obnoxious.

I've always said a "league" setup would be a fun thing. Basically emulate tuesday night bowling leagues, it could be fun. It seems that many people want to go shooting on a weekly basis and it would be an excellent reason to be open late one night. Something like 12 weeks, $200, 1.5 hours per week in some sort of competitive fashion. Maybe 33% of range time dedicated to competitive shooting, and 66% fun shooting. Competitive shooting can mix up every week, from bullseye one week to busting static clays in a timeframe the next. It would motivate people like me to join.

The staff for the most part is great.  Anytime you walk in you are addressed by name, or if someone does not know you it's Hello Sir or Hello Mamma.  I recall perhaps six months ago how I brought my 23 year old son to shoot and as we walked in the door three people shouted Hello Howard.  He looked at me in total disbelief.  He said he goes to his gym in NYC about four times a week and if he is lucky the best he gets is a grunt from the person at the front desk. It would be great if more businesses treated their customers this way -- keep up the great work.

Interesting.

If it gets implemented, a pass for the league would be nice ;)

All kidding aside, I know a lot of people (myself included) would like to go shooting weekly but weekends are always occupied with stuff and Friday nights people go out. Monday through Thursday people simply go home and do nothing. I see you guys are now open until 8pm on Monday and Tuesday and 10pm on Wednesday/Thursday. If either of those nights are particularly slow, it may not be a bad idea to convert one to a "league night".

One issue you may have is those with memberships. It MAY cause some people to drop memberships and just participate in leagues. You would need to find a happy medium between those with memberships and those that want to shoot in leagues. Perhaps one league for non-members, and one for members where buy in is a small fee. 

Also, Peter, I must say I am very impressed with how RTSP has grown. Seems like just a year ago I was ecstatic to hear a range popped up in my backyard. 

Move it closer to me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Move closer to civilization. Couldn't be in a better place IMO. Morris county is directly in the middle of the Northern part of the state, Randolph is pretty much in the middle of the county, and a great town with little crime (good income level demographic for firearm enthusiast, mostly conservative). Furthermore the building is on a well traveled state highway that runs to Rt. 46 on one end and crosses I287 and continues through Livingston into W.Orange. Extremely easy to get to from almost anywhere in North Jersey within about a half hour/45 min. if traffic is cooperative. How could it get any better?

Move closer to civilization. Couldn't be in a better place IMO. Morris county is directly in the middle of the Northern part of the state, Randolph is pretty much in the middle of the county, and a great town with little crime (good income level demographic for firearm enthusiast, mostly conservative). Furthermore the building is on a well traveled state highway that runs to Rt. 46 on one end and crosses I287 and continues through Livingston into W.Orange. Extremely easy to get to from almost anywhere in North Jersey within about a half hour/45 min. if traffic is cooperative. How could it get any better?

Find a way to get a left turn lane going into RTSP so I don't have to keep making that U-turn when coming from the east.

Any possibility of making arrangements for groups such as boy scouts, corporate or social groups to have the whole range? Maybe an hour before or after normal hours?

we do that already. Just call the store and ask for the training center.  We have packages for all sorts of things.  It will be on the website soon as well.

Find a way to get a left turn lane going into RTSP so I don't have to keep making that U-turn when coming from the east.

The Town has approved an exit out the rear of the parking-lot on to Morris Turnpike.  That will fix that U-Turn  quest.

The Town has approved an exit out the rear of the parking-lot on to Morris Turnpike.  That will fix that U-Turn  quest.

In reading the town council minutes it sounded like the town will only allow the new driveway to be used as an exit (not an entrance) and you will only be allowed to make a right turn out of the complex not a left.  Please correct me if I have read this wrong.  But what I think the OP was talking about was the need to make the U-turn when driving from the East (West-bound) on Route 10 to arrive at RTSP from the East.  Nothing you are going to do about that unless you spend a few million dollars to build an exit ramp that crosses over the road :)

This Monday was the first time I went to RTSP since they remodeled/expanded.  I have to say, the place is really nice.  As an Architect, sure I would have produced a better design ;) but its done very well.  Big selection and the range is top notch.  

The downside... prices.  Cost of magazines is easily 30% higher than online and still more than other brick and mortar stores, ammo is more expensive than other brick and mortar stores and sometimes double online prices. The range time is nearly double the cost of the indoor range I typically go to.  Having to fill out paperwork to use the range is a bit ridiculous.  I understand the need to CYA but asking for my DL# and FID# in order to use the range is obnoxious.  Safety video, its a good idea, no qualms with that one.  Wish other places did that

Kinda funny seeing the guys behind the counter shoot the SIRT pistol laser in each others eyes from across the store.  The store had more employees than patrons at the time so no one was being ignored. 

The guy I was with signed up for a membership.  For me, not so much.

The place very is nice, but the costs reflect the investment.