RTSP1

RTSP Feedback & Suggestions

This Monday was the first time I went to RTSP since they remodeled/expanded.  I have to say, the place is really nice.  As an Architect, sure I would have produced a better design ;) but its done very well.  Big selection and the range is top notch.  

The downside... prices.  Cost of magazines is easily 30% higher than online and still more than other brick and mortar stores, ammo is more expensive than other brick and mortar stores and sometimes double online prices. The range time is nearly double the cost of the indoor range I typically go to.  Having to fill out paperwork to use the range is a bit ridiculous.  I understand the need to CYA but asking for my DL# and FID# in order to use the range is obnoxious.  Safety video, its a good idea, no qualms with that one.  Wish other places did that

Kinda funny seeing the guys behind the counter shoot the SIRT pistol laser in each others eyes from across the store.  The store had more employees than patrons at the time so no one was being ignored. 

The guy I was with signed up for a membership.  For me, not so much.

The place very is nice, but the costs reflect the investment.  

Membership membership membership.  10% off stuff (mags, headsets etc...),BIG discount on ammo ( example, $10.00 off a box of 9mm,puts it at around $17.00), 5% off firearms (puts the margin of profit for us at 15%), 3% loyalty money back on accessory purchases each month, 2% loyalty money back on ammunition purchases each month and 1%  loyalty money back on firearm purchases. Discounts on classes, five free guess passes, no port fees, preferential treatment on port time, member only shooting on the weekends 8am-10am, locker rentals for firearms, digital simulator, Shoot House, free RPO's for those that it pertains to. Discounts for LEO, Firefighters, EMS and veterans on all memberships.  Probably leaving something out sorry. lol 

As far as the forms, I have three words for you: Insurance Company + Lawyers!!!!  sorry, they wouldn't open us.

I haven't shot there since you guys remodeled. Nothing personal, I just am more of a rifle person and I think shooting rifles indoor is a bit obnoxious.

I've always said a "league" setup would be a fun thing. Basically emulate tuesday night bowling leagues, it could be fun. It seems that many people want to go shooting on a weekly basis and it would be an excellent reason to be open late one night. Something like 12 weeks, $200, 1.5 hours per week in some sort of competitive fashion. Maybe 33% of range time dedicated to competitive shooting, and 66% fun shooting. Competitive shooting can mix up every week, from bullseye one week to busting static clays in a timeframe the next. It would motivate people like me to join.

Pete, you should try to consider the league idea. Main reason, I don't know of any other range that has done it, yet. Doesn't seem like the idea would cost a lot of money, just the time an employee has to put in to setup teams and schedule. Hell, I'm sure if you allow it, someone from this forum will be happy to do that for you.

Perhaps the shooting can happen during the week when its slow on one of the nights you're open late. Close off a few of the ports on the pistol range for just league shooting. Or, to make it even "cooler" plan the league matches to start after the shop is closed for the public. Maybe on Tuesday, close shop for the public at 8 and leave it open until 9 for league shooting. You don't need to keep the entire staff on, just an RO/Ref and maybe one other person in the front. Lights and registers can be closed at normal time except for the ones by the range that will be used.

As 302w said, the shooting/fun part of it can be anything. Again, people here can contribute to that. The forum member in charge can create a thread asking for suggestions to next week's league match. The options there are endless.

Think about it, teams can be made up with funky names, logos can be created, shirts can be made available. People can add their team logo to their forum signature. People dig that sorta thing. It can become a "thing" that separates your range from the rest.

ETA - Make it easy for people to do this. I'm not saying make it free, just don't make range membership a requirement.

As someone who has to carry several million dollars in professional liability insurance, I fully understand insurance requirements. What makes me do a double take is how all the other ranges that I have been to in NJ can get insurance without having the same patron registration requirement. 

As for the discounts, it appears to be somewhat disingenuous.  The prices seem to me to be marked up to an extreme rate, then marked back down to acceptable street prices for members.  If I recall, the members prices for various calibers of ammunition listed on the TVs over the rental counter were in line with prices I have seen in other NJ gun stores.  The non-member prices were simply ridiculous.  This appears on the surface to amount to the same thing as Macy's unable to sell a pair of shoes for $100, but once a sign is placed next to them that they are on sale for $100 down from $200 the gullible public makes the shoe difficult to keep in stock.  Just my opinion feedback based on a single observation tho. 

BIG discount on ammo ( example, $10.00 off a box of 9mm,puts it at around $17.00),

Is that Critical Defense???  If the price of 115 gr range ammo (Blazer or PMC for example) is $27/box for non-members, that's crazy.  When (if) I buy commercial 9mm ammo, it's usually around $13-$15/box...I reload my own for about $7-$7.50.  I did pay $20 for a 20 round box of CD in case SHTF at the house.

I have to admit, the range prices are not out of line with others in the area and cheaper than some.  Haven't rented any guns or bought ammo.  I've only shot there once but had a good experience in the short time we had on the range.  (Finally got into the range @ 7:30 pm and it closed at 8:00...no big deal, it was explained to us when we paid for the hour that we would only have a 1/2 hour)

RTSP did have a summer league (I had a blast) but it was a small group. Hopefully all of you guys clamoring for a league will sign up for the next one.

You guys would have been rich if you opened in Bergen or Southern Passaic counties.

Way more money in Morris County than both those counties. Morris County has the highest Annual income levels in the state. And I believe in the top 5 in the country. Plus strongly pro gun conservative strong hold. Every town in Passaic county is blue except maybe Wayne. Bergen has Wycoff, upper saddle river, Ridgewood, and Alpine, all very nice towns. But the rest of the county is a hole for the most part. Besides who wants to deal with traffic like that? I feel bad for anyone that lives out that way. take a ride through Chester, Mendham, Madison, Morris Twp, Long Valley, New Vernon, Sometime look at the homes & properties they sit on, you would understand then. Anyway you have GFH down that way, we all know that's also a beautiful range Anthony runs a tight ship over there I only have good things to say about the place. Just wish he wasn't in West Patterson, oops sorry Woodland Park. I always forget the town had to change their name so people wouldn't be afraid to visit there lol. If I remember correct when I was a kid Elmwood Park was E. Paterson had to change their name so the real estate had any value. Its actually a decent part of Passaic County. A lot nicer than Botany Village where I resided in my youth, then later in Wayne (very nice area) when my old man lived there.

Way more money in Morris County than both those counties. Morris County has the highest Annual income levels in the state. And I believe in the top 5 in the country. Plus strongly pro gun conservative strong hold. Every town in Passaic county is blue except maybe Wayne. Bergen has Wycoff, upper saddle river, Ridgewood, and Alpine, all very nice towns. But the rest of the county is a hole for the most part. Besides who wants to deal with traffic like that? I feel bad for anyone that lives out that way. take a ride through Chester, Mendham, Madison, Morris Twp, Long Valley, New Vernon, Sometime look at the homes & properties they sit on, you would understand then. Anyway you have GFH down that way, we all know that's also a beautiful range Anthony runs a tight ship over there I only have good things to say about the place. Just wish he wasn't in West Patterson, oops sorry Woodland Park. I always forget the town had to change their name so people wouldn't be afraid to visit there lol. If I remember correct when I was a kid Elmwood Park was E. Paterson had to change their name so the real estate had any value. Its actually a decent part of Passaic County. A lot nicer than Botany Village where I resided in my youth, then later in Wayne (very nice area) when my old man lived there.

What the bleep is wrong with Woodland Park? The cops are all Pro2A and can care less about the gun grabbers.

What the bleep is wrong with Woodland Park? The cops are all Pro2A and can care less about the gun grabbers.

Nothing wrong with West Paterson I never said there was. Its actually not a bad little town. Most of what surrounds it though sucks, except maybe Upper Montclair. Traffic in that area is horrible. Thats what I really don't like about GFH location. The parking isn't very easy there either.

So I had the chance to stop into another 5 star rated range today in TN. Place was nice but half the ports, hour wait, crap parking. I didn't shoot, was just killing sometime after breakfast. The one or 2 people that asked me if I was looking for anything in particular were nice enough, but I didn't have a real experience to judge by. This was supposed to be the best range in the area, and I didn't walk out going wow, I wish I was closer to here, other than the fact that I like this area of TN. Not to sound like a fan boy but it kind of made me appreciate my membership back home.

Only thing that sux is being next to Paterson.... Other towns are fine.

I used to live in Wayne and Clifton, trust me compared to where I live now in Sussex County all those towns suck! Totowa, little Falls, Clifton, and Especially Paterson are all horrifying to me to think about visiting anymore, just driving there gives me anxiety. I'm also allergic to liberals, Passaic county is full of them. I break out in a rash whenever I have to travel east of Parsippany lol... woodland park range is a tiny oasis of awesomeness, completely surrounded in a sea of S*#t.

Heh, use to qualify in that place. My uncle use to shoot there with Charlie Calas...

Ranges started registration type activities after the robbery/murder at the Garfield Target Range in the mid-70's.

That is my understanding as well.  Solves the west-bound issues cant help you east-bound U-Turn

The only thing I can contribute is that the RO's are overly jumpy... this is a PRIVATE range but it feels like a training range in prison sometimes... I understand that most of the staff are Police Officers, but that mindset has to be relaxed in a private setting. Frankly, I go to Woodland but that is more due to the fact that I live much closer to them.......   but all the ROs know me by name and are extremely friendly I never feel threatened, I have had that feeling at RTSP. Granted I purchased a number of expensive firearms at RTSP.....   Also, salespeople need to be aware when NICs closes on weekends, I have had to return twice due to NICs not going in in time (it was 4:30 and they were not aware). 

The only thing I can contribute is that the RO's are overly jumpy... this is a PRIVATE range but it feels like a training range in prison sometimes...

Let me preface this by saying I am a member at GFH-WP, I shoot there often.

A bunch of us recently had a meetup at RTSP and I did NOT find the RSO's "jumpy" at all.  We had an assortment of guns on the shelf at the port and two different RSO's independently commented about how they wanted the slide locked back on a Beretta Nano (no slide lock).  A possible solution to that (and one I used) was to insert a chamber flag which halted further comment.

As for your NICS situation - first time, their fault for sure, second time, personal responsidamnbility.

Heh, use to qualify in that place. My uncle use to shoot there with Charlie Calas...

Hey Big John...Charlie Calas used to shoot a Centaur Arms on Rt46.

Not, "Jimmy's B&G" where the shooting occurred in Garfield.

Ask me how I know...LOL

Thought that was the same place.... didn't remember two ranges. Yes, that's the place. Do you remember a guy there called "Big Red"? That was my uncle.

Hey Big John...Charlie Calas used to shoot a Centaur Arms on Rt46.

Not, "Jimmy's B&G" where the shooting occurred in Garfield.

Ask me how I know...LOL

Thought that was the same place.... didn't remember two ranges. Yes, that's the place. Do you remember a guy there called "Big Red"? That was my uncle.

Can't say I remember your uncle.

What I can remember is that place was terrible with shitty ventilation.

And why am I full of heavy metals?