ManWithBeard

Smart Gun Law in the news

Good article.  But it really bothers me.  ok so first off we have PRE legislated gun laws on the books.... thats nuts.  But anyway this system that they talk about (http://www.armatix.de/Smart-System.778.0.html?&L=1) is insane. 

Ok so basically you have the gun, and the watch, if the watch (worn on shooting hand) is not on, the fun is "deactivated".  the gun is .22 and 10 round mag with an electronic magazine disconnect. 

The watch is RFID that you have to enter a pin code to arm the weapon if I understand that correctly, let me know how that works if you have to use it in a real life situation! it displays the charge level for the watch AND GUN! hope your batteries dont die for a real world situation...

Oh AND it has a target response system in it......so if you are not aiming this at the target at the range, it will deactivate... I am guessing with RFID that SOMEONE , SOMEWHERE will be able to remotely.  And as far as NO ONE being able to use the gun without the watch, only amatter of time before someone hacks that too....  All in all.... DUMB!

let them equip ALL branches of le with nothing but smart guns first. i'd say a good 10 year trial. then do studies on the reliability of them, and whether or not they were truly effective in preventing any form of crime that may happen by someone acquiring those tools illegally. then, and ONLY then should they even consider trying to force these illegally on the general public.

She's at it again, this time in Seattle...

" “Nation’s first” smart gun symposium talks safety, risks, and delays"  http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/nations-first-smart-gun-symposium-talks-safety-risks-and-delays/

Ars asked the representatives from smart gun companies about in-the-field reliability—about moisture, blood, gloves, and other factors that need to be tested to ensure that a smart gun might not lock its owner out in a dire moment. Boinus didn't answer whether his company had conducted such tests yet, instead stating, "it's a money issue. Where are we going to have the money for testing?" Sentinl founder Omer Kiyani went further, saying his fingerprint-sensing technology's "target audience... is not typically in the mud and all that" and that "this is a safety device for home storage."

What target audience is that? People that only need to shoot their firearms in the home? Keep in mind, they are trying to make this mandatory for everyone.

I can't get the fingerprint sensor at my son's daycare facility to work properly.  How am I supposed to put my life in the hands of unreliable technology?  We should put "smart technology" on fire extinguishers too just in case there's an accidental discharge.

If Apple's touchID is any indication, I will never have one on my firearms

While I don't want to see it and think it a bad idea, the touchID on my iPhone works perfectly every time.  I am very impressed with it.

While I don't want to see it and think it a bad idea, the touchID on my iPhone works perfectly every time.  I am very impressed with it.

You got lucky,  One I tried worked ~50% of the time on the first effort.  We use finger print readers to get into my office.   Humidity and skin moisture have A LOT to do with if the optical scanners work.  Just to get my finger to scan at all I had to apply moisturizer.

And then there's this...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/10/researchers-propose-remotely-disabled-smart-guns/

This is why I believe many in the gubbmint want smart guns to be the only guns sold. Blah! on them.

C

I heard an interview a few months back with the president of Tracking Point (If I remember correctly) that they are actively working on the remote disabling technology with the goal of patenting it and preventing anyone from actually developing it. Patent trolling for the greater good.

You got lucky,  One I tried worked ~50% of the time on the first effort.  We use finger print readers to get into my office.   Humidity and skin moisture have A LOT to do with if the optical scanners work.  Just to get my finger to scan at all I had to apply moisturizer.

When I went to Morpho track to get my finger prints done I had to apply lotion three times to get my prints read. I also had difficulties getting my prints done in NY for my permit there. I have a skin condition that makes my skin dry and leathery. 

On the plus side I learned a bio-metric safe would not be for me.

I heard an interview a few months back with the president of Tracking Point (If I remember correctly) that they are actively working on the remote disabling technology with the goal of patenting it and preventing anyone from actually developing it. Patent trolling for the greater good.

Patents don't last forever, and there are usually workarounds for technology patents.