Sign in to follow this  
Lalo

Help me help my friend find a pistol

I've only been shooting for a few years so I could use some help from those with experience with a variety of pistols. A buddy of mine is just getting into shooting and wants to pick up his first pistol. So far he has shot the following pistols:

Sig Mosqquito - .22
Sig SP2022 - 9mm
M&P9 - 9mm
Sig P226 - .40

So out of all of those, he loves the P226 the most. Loves the weight and feel, loves the trigger compared to the rest and likes the aesthetics. Before he goes out and buys his first pistol. He wants to try out some other semiauto makes/models. My question to you is, based on what he likes about the P226, what other pistols should h consider? He's not against having a polymer frame but might prefer something all steel. Main purpose of this pistol will be paper punching and home defense.

Thoughts?

If he likes the 226, there's always other P series Sigs - the P220, P227, P228, P229, (or the bastard child of both the P228 and P229, the M11).  Could also always go with a P22x Classic .22 and then get the 9mm or .40 kit.  SigPro series are kind of like a lighter, polymer-framed, budget P229 - I enjoy mine almost as much as my P226.  After shooting a P220, I fell in love with the P220 (Elite Dark), and I really hope one of those is my next purchase.  It fits me even better than my P226 - and I have large hands, so that was a surprise.

Of course, everyone needs at least one 1911 platform firearm...

I have put a few rounds through I believe a CZ75 and I was quite impressed by it.

I own a Glock - the utilitarian brick may not be for everyone, but I like it and shoot it well.

I'd suggest bringing your friend to RTSP and window shop...inventory there for pistols is the best I've seen locally...he might see something that calls to him... 

Being A bit biased towards Sigs, I would suggest the P226. The best approach thou, Would be to buy it in the .22 platform. He can then add A .40 X-Change kit to it. Or 9mm.  If he goes that route he will have A 40 S&W along with the same platform in .22 to practice with on A much less budget.

Buying it the way I suggest will give him 2 calibers for the price of the 40 alone.

He needs to try-out more full-size steel-framed guns.  Several posters here have already named them thus saving me the trouble, so I'll give you MINDSET over model numbers.  

So since it's for HD, he needs to do something that's very hard for most of you here on the forum to do:  He needs to forget about how "sexy" the gun looks and instead concentrate on actually hitting a target with it at say 15 yards!  So he'll need to try several guns to see which fit his hands the best.  Yes, he'll need to practice before he can do 15 yards....  But if you really want to HELP him, then teach him about gun "fit", grip angles, sight systems and all of the "non sexy" stuff that actually let you HIT what you're aiming at.  Like the differences in DA first pull guns, safe-action, single-action, trigger creep, mag disconnects, etc.  And teach him to NOT FLINCH! 

Buying a gun because it's pretty is just plain stupid if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  All of that prettiness will get you DEAD in a gun fight. 

And not for nuthin' as they say in Jersey, since some of these models are over a grand already, your friend may want to rent a 8-shot N-frame revolver that can out-shoot most of the pistolas mentioned.  In trained hands these things make one-hole groups at 25+ yards and it takes limp-wristing completely out of the picture, especially with weak hand ONLY shooting from behind a doorway.

Dave

So if he liked the only metal framed gun in the bunch, have him try other metal framed guns.  CZ, Beretta, 1911's, etc

Yes he did, he liked the weight of it compared to the others. After I explained the differences in perceived recoil between the polymer and steel framed pistols, he was leaning more towards an aluminum frame pistol.

Being A bit biased towards Sigs, I would suggest the P226. The best approach thou, Would be to buy it in the .22 platform. He can then add A .40 X-Change kit to it. Or 9mm.  If he goes that route he will have A 40 S&W along with the same platform in .22 to practice with on A much less budget.

Buying it the way I suggest will give him 2 calibers for the price of the 40 alone.

This is something else I talked to him about. Whatever he purchases, I want him to consider if caliber exchange kits are available for it. Best bang for his buck. I'm familiar with the kits for the 226.

He needs to try-out more full-size steel-framed guns. 

So since it's for HD, he needs to do something that's very hard for most of you here on the forum to do:  He needs to forget about how "sexy" the gun looks and instead concentrate on actually hitting a target with it at say 15 yards!  So he'll need to try several guns to see which fit his hands the best.  Yes, he'll need to practice before he can do 15 yards....  But if you really want to HELP him, then teach him about gun "fit", grip angles, sight systems and all of the "non sexy" stuff that actually let you HIT what you're aiming at.  Like the differences in DA first pull guns, safe-action, single-action, trigger creep, mag disconnects, etc.  And teach him to NOT FLINCH! 

Buying a gun because it's pretty is just plain stupid if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  All of that prettiness will get you DEAD in a gun fight. 

YES! Also discussed this with him and beat it into his head. He liked the P226 because it felt great in his hands. It has the E2 grips and the ergonomics are perfect for him, it feels very comfortable in his hands. My 226 also has 3 dot night sighs which he liked, just found them easier to see than the others that don't. I explained most of these things can be changed/swapped out in other pistols to parts that he likes so he knows that.

So I'm thinking this is what we'll try to check out the next time we're at a range:

H&K P30

H&K VP9

CZ75

CZP-01

Beretta 92FS <<<<< I want one of these personally!

Beretta PX4 <<<<< my brother has this and I love the way it shoots!

He wasn't a fan of the DA action on the M&P and would prefer something with a DA/SA trigger.

FYI- CZ75 and P01 have a 22 caliber exchange kit called The Kadet. It's not cheap but in the long run will pay for itself.

Also for a home defense gun I like revolvers or a semi with no safety. The CZ P01 is a nonpoly gun with a decocker. The CZ PCR is essentially the same gun as the P01 if you can't find a P01.

You guys shooting at EFGA? If so we can try to meet up and he can try my CZs. PM me if interested.

FYI- CZ75 and P01 have a 22 caliber exchange kit called The Kadet. It's not cheap but in the long run will pay for itself.

Also for a home defense gun I like revolvers or a semi with no safety. The CZ P01 is a nonpoly gun with a decocker. The CZ PCR is essentially the same gun as the P01 if you can't find a P01.

You guys shooting at EFGA? If so we can try to meet up and he can try my CZs. PM me if interested.

Thanks man, that would be cool. A couple other people offered the same thing so maybe we can all meet at EFGA one of these weekends to try out some different pistols.

Thanks man, that would be cool. A couple other people offered the same thing so maybe we can all meet at EFGA one of these weekends to try out some different pistols.

Let me know too I can bring my 1911 and can also get a 229 9mm, 2022 .40 cal, and a px4 if he wants to try any of them

If we go monday i can bring my shield and 686+

I personally prefer Sigs over a CZ or 92 and actually just sold a 92 for a 229. My only recommendation is to get his hands on an elite model - the grips are more ergonomic and make a 226 or 229 feel even better. Plus you get a beaver tail and short reset trigger.

Thanks for the offer guys, that's awesome. Just got a call and it looks like we're going to hit the Heritage Guild tomorrow at around 1pm to test out some toys. I'd still like to meet up with you guys though. Maybe we can plan an EFGA meet sometime after Thanksgiving.

What time? I have a meeting in Branchburg @ 9:00 but can probably get there by noon.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I was planning around 10am but I will hold off for a bit so I will be their at 12 still. I have an appointment in Flemington at 4 and that's the only thing set in stone for me on monday

Thanks for the offer guys, that's awesome. Just got a call and it looks like we're going to hit the Heritage Guild tomorrow at around 1pm to test out some toys. I'd still like to meet up with you guys though. Maybe we can plan an EFGA meet sometime after Thanksgiving.

Have a good time. I'll check with my Social Events Coordinator (the wife) about this coming weekend.

If you have time check out the microbrewery around the corner from Heritage. Called Wayerbacher. Their Imperial Pumpking Ale was pretty good.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

So I met my friend at the Hertage Guild Easton today (he lives out by Philly) in order to window shop and try out some pistols. After looking at some of the prices of the pistols we picked out, he decided that he needed to stick with a $500-$600 price tag. We took a close look at the PX4 and he loved the away it felt in his hand. We took out the full size in .40 and although he wasn't that accurate with it (he's still learning) I was able to keep around a 1" group with it at 7 yards with most of the holes touching and I'm not even a good shot! I was impressed! As of right now, he thinks the Beretta PX4 will be his first pistol.

Now the hard part... Where to find a PX4 for a good price... Heritage guild hast

The pm for $550 and Beretta has a $75 rebate through the end of the year. That plus the 10% Black Friday deal means he could end up paying around $420 for or after rebate.

Anyone have any leads on a PX4, full size or compact in .40 or 9mm?