Sign in to follow this  
iamkurrupt

Hog Hunt / Bachelor Party

A group of 6 of us has been brainstorming and researching a few different places.  Figured I would get the forums opinions, suggestions, and prior experiences in doing a weekend hog and turkey hunt. 

A few prerequisites:

1.) Looking to keep it somewhat close.

2.) Everyone prefers NO fencing or dogs

3.) Looking for a lodge that can accommodate 6 guys for Friday night to Sunday afternoon in mid march. (Preferably no other guest)

Only place that I have found thus far that can accommodate all of our needs is in South Carolina at  eatsleephunt.com

Love to hear where you've been and what to stay away from.

Finding a close place to hunt hogs with no fencing is going to be real tough.  All of the really good places have fences because feral hogs are invasive and destructive and must be contained.  Turkey hunts need to be in accordance with game laws (licenses, zones, etc).

I don't know if this fits all of your requirements or not, but in this thread Smokin .50 recommends a B&B with hog hunting nearby:

" BandB in Mount Joy, PA,  while you go hunting a 290 pound Hog on a 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River in Bainbridge, PA! "

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/73199-looking-for-recomendations-for-a-bed-and-breakfast/

Anybody that says NO is lying!

I admit, I've closed the bar and have ended up taking one home.

My buddy from the University of New Hampshire, the late great Dr. Peter Stopa from Wallington, used to call it "Hog Therapy."

And let's not forget: 

Maybe, guess it depends on how big the island is.  150 acres seems like a fair amount of space to me.

Many high fence places are much larger than 150 acres. the one that I took a tour of in FL was over 700 acres. I guess it just comes down to personal preference if you don't mind hunting animals that were raised by man and then confined to an area to be hunted than have at it and have fun. Just not my cup of tea

http://www.osceolaoutdoors.com/

OP check this place out it was highly recommended by another member here. I am thinking about going on a pig hunt with a few guys here this winter or early spring. you can hunt WILD hogs, turkeys, ducks, coyotes, and even Gators.

I have been on some dog/knife hunts for hogs in FL. It was the most effective way to cull the population on the cattle farm that I used to hunt because the woods were so thick with pometto that it was more dense that the jungle in belize. No way you were stalking hogs in their. One of the guys took a hit to the calf and needed over 50 stiches when the hog got him and the dogs can get pretty beat up too but talk about an adrenaline rush. i would probably do it again but it the hog is really big I would rather shoot it because if I get hurt I can't work.

Thank you all for the replies!  No Island!  No Dogs!  No Fence!.    The group has grown to 8 as of now.  50% of us have hunted hogs before and 75% are licensed hunters in this great state we call New Jersey.  Which means that if we go to South Carolina, New York, Pennsy, or others.. its just a minor license fee usually and a stop at one of their stores or issued over the internet.  The other 25% will need to take a hunter ed course.

I have been on some dog/knife hunts for hogs in FL. It was the most effective way to cull the population on the cattle farm that I used to hunt because the woods were so thick with pometto that it was more dense that the jungle in belize. No way you were stalking hogs in their. One of the guys took a hit to the calf and needed over 50 stiches when the hog got him and the dogs can get pretty beat up too but talk about an adrenaline rush. i would probably do it again but it the hog is really big I would rather shoot it because if I get hurt I can't work.

Had a buddy of mine tear his ACL.  Darren.  And plus..too many dog lovers amongst our group.

Thank you all for the replies!  No Island!  No Dogs!  No Fence!.    The group has grown to 8 as of now.  50% of us have hunted hogs before and 75% are licensed hunters in this great state we call New Jersey.  Which means that if we go to South Carolina, New York, Pennsy, or others.. its just a minor license fee usually and a stop at one of their stores or issued over the internet.  The other 25% will need to take a hunter ed course.

No license required in FL for hogs fyi.

Many high fence places are much larger than 150 acres. the one that I took a tour of in FL was over 700 acres. I guess it just comes down to personal preference if you don't mind hunting animals that were raised by man and then confined to an area to be hunted than have at it and have fun. Just not my cup of tea

Well I wasn't the one that was going.  OP asked for some suggestions so I offered one someone else here made in another thread, just trying to help a guy out.  Sorry if I offended your sensibilities.

No offence here. OP just said no fences so I figured an island was out also. I have no problem with others hunting on high fence or other ways of keeping animals captive and it was good info if the OP was interested in participating in a hunt like that. their are a few forum members here that have been hunting at the place you recommended and have enjoyed it

Or Texas as far as I know, they are a nuisance animals.

Correct. Texas considers them varmints, no season, no bag limits, and no license required. I hunted them a few weeks ago on my ranch in west Tx.