rayroka

Am I safe to purchase?

I have a permit dated 5/28/2014 and has been extended. I haven't purchased in months and plan on purchasing Monday. Am I safe? According to my count and the online app that calculates 180 days I'm good?

Something I'm missing?

I bet you guys would buy less handguns if it wasn't for purchase permits and OGAM. The pressure of that calendar sends you running to the gun shop! :) I've been reading some of your posts for years and some of you must have dozens of handguns. I don't think I have two dozen guns of all kinds combined.

I bet you guys would buy less handguns if it wasn't for purchase permits and OGAM. The pressure of that calendar sends you running to the gun shop! :) I've been reading some of your posts for years and some of you must have dozens of handguns. I don't think I have two dozen guns of all kinds combined.

LOL, I've been always thinking the same thing. I caught myself recently thinking that I basically MUST buy a handgun as long as I have a permit that is about to expire. If I don't have money on hand, I either need to buy a CHEAP (and probably bad...) handgun or ... charge it to a credit card with 0%APR and pay later...

Would be curious to see some stats from NJSP on how many permits issued are actually used to purchase handguns and how many of them expire and never used.

I don't know if I'd buy more or less, but I'd certainly not feel pressured (even if it's all in my head) to use it or lose it.  I certainly wouldn't have to be concerned about the calendar when I purchased.  And to make it worse, I rarely sell anything either since it would be a pain to replace.  As it is, I always have a valid permit on hand just in case something shows up.  I file for a new set when I'm down to the last one, and the pressure mounts as they are about to expire.

I did buy more handguns sooner because of the permitting process - instead of spreading the purchases out, I've bought batches of handguns within the timeframes the permits are valid for.  I might have bought a single pistol every 6 to 9 months if there were no permit system, but instead consolidated multiple purchases into 3-5 months because of the permits.

I also dislike having to spend the extra "tax" for the paperwork for permits for a single gun (not to mention the time involved), so I feel better if it is spread out across 3 or 4 guns...that $18+2/ea is a box or two of ammo and would add up if I had to spend that every 6-9 months to go for a single permit.