robinzon

Fair Lawn PD woes...

The mental health check form (SP-066) is supposed to be signed in the presence of the investigating officer. But it would be interesting to try this and just have your signature notarized on the SP-066. Send it directly to the firearms officer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That is what my department says as well. I have to sign in front of the officer . My department is good though. I call , he calls back and gives me a time for that week. I give him papers , he gives me permits 3 weeks later. 

In my town the only thing they have asked me to sign in front of them was my FPID card when they put my finger print on it. The detective that used to do them knew me by sight after that and never checked ID.

For applications and permits since then they have not asked me to sign. The dispatcher doesn't even ask for ID when I pick up permits. I have not met the woman who took over the task from the detective earlier this year but got permits in 30 days anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

There is absolutely no consistency in NJ for the process. If you call the State Police 5 times and ask the same question , you stand to get 5 different interpretations of the law and/or P2P process . Odds are you still won't have the correct answer.

Apparently the process in Fair Lawn has been changed, you print the forms online then bring them to the Records department... that's it.

No more trying to set an impossible appointment with the Detective who's never in his office????

Here in Washington (Warren County) we drop off to the secretary and pick them up from her 2-3 weeks later...and she dates & signs extensions (under authority from the chief) while you wait, when/if you need them

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Same thing with my former town of Independence Twp.  2-3 weeks for the initial FID & P2Ps.  Subsequent P2Ps were exactly 16 calendar days for each set. 

When you live in a liberal and progressive town with a high liberal Jewish population in a largely progressive, statist county in an unAmerican, unconstitutional state, what do you expect?   Document everything and get help.  Better yet, move to somewhere that values personal freedoms and the liberty that is cultivated.

Call the detective and tell him you have a tip for him.  Tell the chief you would like to make a donation to his department and see if he can arrange a meeting.  When either one meets with you on something that might interests that person, then discuss your dilemna. 

Here's a quick update about the state of affairs in Fair Lawn. It is much better than past experience of forum members on this thread.

It took them 12 days (7 business days!!!) to process my application (from the day I submitted it, to the day they called to tell me to say it is ready to be picked up).

Fingerprinting wasn't horrible either, I was able to schedule one (in Paramus) pretty quickly (couple of days).

Overall the entire process (fingerprinting and Fair Lawn PD) took me less than 3 weeks.

Go straight to Fair Lawn's Police Records (on the first floor, I forgot the room number) to see Michelle. She will give you the paperwork. Then schedule the fingerprinting, hand/email the forms to your references and have them fill, sign and return/email it back to you. Once you completed fingerprinting copy/print it all and bring it back to Michelle.

I hope this information will help future applicants in Fair Lawn.

Here is the first page from the packet I got.

2015-11-27_2031.png

Giving you reference forms is adding content to the process and is illegal. It is incumbent upon the PD to contact your references, whether that is done telephonically, electronically or via the USPS, it is their job as part of the investigative process. My PD used to do the same thing until they received the ANJRPC's Strikeforce letter.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think they called my references (phone) but I'm not sure.

Giving you reference forms is adding content to the process and is illegal. It is incumbent upon the PD to contact your references, whether that is done telephonically, electronically or via the USPS, it is their job as part of the investigative process. My PD used to do the same thing until they received the ANJRPC's Strikeforce letter.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Giving the forms to the applicant would speed the process. Does one cut off his nose to spite his face?

Giving the forms to the applicant would speed the process. Does one cut off his nose to spite his face?

Agreed.  They're just giving you the responsibility of getting the forms to the references rather than them doing it. Rather trusting of them, actually.  

I too actually like the idea of controlling the reference process. No more getting lost on a desk, lost in the mail or absent minded friends.

Depends on the actually process. Sometimes they mandate the forms are notarized and other B.S. But i agree, if it makes the process all around quicker and easier why would we complain.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

+1 totally unacceptable. It's on the PD to make this happen.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we expect the PD's to follow the letter of the law, then it is incumbent on us to do likewise. We can't just pick and choose those portions of the law we agree with.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we expect the PD's to follow the letter of the law, then it is incumbent on us to do likewise. We can't just pick and choose those portions of the law we agree with.

I like cake, and I like to eat. I say yes, we can do both. The law needs to be changed. I do not support that portion of the law. In fact, I do not support any portion of the FPID process. How ridiculous is that, when NICS does the same thing in minutes. Yes, we can pick which portions of the law we agree with.

I like cake, and I like to eat. I say yes, we can do both. The law needs to be changed. I do not support that portion of the law. In fact, I do not support any portion of the FPID process. How ridiculous is that, when NICS does the same thing in minutes. Yes, we can pick which portions of the law we agree with.

That's a whole other can of worms.