Lalo

PA to NJ Private Sale Clarification Needed

Friend of mine who is a PA resident owns a rifle I'd like to purchase. Can I meet him at a PA FFL and have them do the transfer to me inside PA or Does that transfer need to happen inside NJ by a NJ FFL? I'd like to avoid the cost of having to ship the rifle to NJ. I understand in PA, private sales don't need to go through an FFL. Being that I'm a NJ resident, I can't just use a COE and DL correct? How do NJ people purchase guns at PA gun shows?

What are my legal options?

^as long as the rifle is NJ legal (compliant)

When buying at gun shows we use FFL's to do the transfers and they have been framilar with NJ laws and usually have COES on hand.

Federal law requires you to use a ffl for sales between residents of different states.

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

Some PA FFL's (e.g. Sarco) sell long guns regularly to NJ residents so they are very familiar with checking the FID and filling out the COE.  The process is actually smoother because PICS is much quicker and only $5 versus NICS.

Preferably, I would think you want find an FFL who is familiar with the NJ process.  Search the GB FFL Network (http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=State&sv=PA) and call around.

Some PA FFL's (e.g. Sarco) sell long guns regularly to NJ residents so they are very familiar with checking the FID and filling out the COE.  The process is actually smoother because PICS is much quicker and only $5 versus NICS.

This is exactly why I wasn't against doing the transfer in PA instead of NJ. PICS is faster and cheaper than NICS. Just needed to find an FFL that was familiar with the process. I was going to try Sarco or Heritage Guild in Easton.

I was gonna say, I'd find the cheapest gun shop to transfer at. Bring some COE's just in case but most small gun shops everywhere but NJ charge $15-20 for a transfer fee.

$15-$20? South Jersey it runs $40-$100 (yes, one dealer charges $100 for a new, not used gun),

I was gonna say, I'd find the cheapest gun shop to transfer at. Bring some COE's just in case but most small gun shops everywhere but NJ charge $15-20 for a transfer fee.

I was thinking of using this guy. Other small shops work by appointment only hours on Sat. Anyone ever use this place?

Brian Ahearn

Easton Firearms Refinsihing

915 Sassafrass St

Easton, PA 18042

Email: Click here to email me

Phone: 610-252-5334

Fax: 610-252-8821

Cell Phone: 610-252-5334

Hours: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm Mon - Fri; 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Sat

Long Gun Fee: $23.00

Hand Gun Fee: $23.00

NICS Fee: $2.00

As long as the gun is NJ compliant, bring a set of NJSP forms with you (most PA dealers have them, some don't) and have it logged into the PA dealers books and logged out to you (transfered).

Drive it home and enjoy.

I understand it needs to be compliant to be brought into NJ, but it doesn't need to be compliant just for an NJ resident to receive the gun, does it? e.g. gun will be kept in PA or compliance work will be done in PA

I understand it needs to be compliant to be brought into NJ, but it doesn't need to be compliant just for an NJ resident to receive the gun, does it? e.g. gun will be kept in PA or compliance work will be done in PA

PK90 pointed out that yes, it could be bought non-nj compliant if the dealer is willing to transfer it (some require it be NJ compliant, since you are showing them a NJ drivers license and firearms card).