Bully

Considering Bowhunting for Next Year...

I'm thinking about starting to bowhunt next year. I was able to get out a couple of times with my rifle (I got skunked both times) but am thinking that I would like to get a jump on the gun hunters and lengthen my season a bit.

Obviously I will need a bow and the attendant paraphernalia but what else would anyone on here suggest? FWIW, I'm a huge fan of going with as little crap as possible and as frugally as possible, but am willing to listen to anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Also if you don't own one and hunt from a tree BUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A SAFTEY HARNESS,  I see time and time again people spend $1000 plus on a bow spend the dam $60 and buy somthing thatll save your life . not to sound dickish but it only take an extra minute to lock yourself to the tree .

I've been a bow hunter for two decades, I recommend buying a middle of the road bow to get started, Nothing more than 2 seasons old if your going to buy used. Take it to a good archery shop like Simon Peter sport. Or in south central jersey just archery is a good store. Have a pro measure your draw length and cut your arrows properly. Then practice practice practice. Starting in late July shoot every day for about 20 minutes. It's important to get your muscles used to drawing and holding for long periods of time. When your drawn back on a deer in your stand sometimes it can take a few minutes for the proper shot to present itself. You will be standing up in your tree completely still holding that draw for what feels like hours. This is why practice is so important. If you move the deer will bust you and be gone before you can blink. It's even more difficult when there are multiple deer with more eyes watching. I also highly recommend a quality treestand and a good safety harness like the Hunter Safety System. That what I use. It's also good to start out with a mentor, there's year's of tricks and tips an experienced guy can share with you that will take forever for you to learn by making mistakes. If your in North Jersey I would be happy to help you get started.

Topher -- do you have a place to shoot? Daily?

The post above is spot on -- start soon and get comfortable with the bow

bow season is different than any gun season -- it's warm -- there are leaves on trees -- and the deer aren't nearly as skiddish

Its an awesome time of year to be in the woods

I've been a bow hunter for two decades, I recommend buying a middle of the road bow to get started, Nothing more than 2 seasons old if your going to buy used. Take it to a good archery shop like Simon Peter sport. Or in south central jersey just archery is a good store. Have a pro measure your draw length and cut your arrows properly. Then practice practice practice. Starting in late July shoot every day for about 20 minutes. It's important to get your muscles used to drawing and holding for long periods of time. When your drawn back on a deer in your stand sometimes it can take a few minutes for the proper shot to present itself. You will be standing up in your tree completely still holding that draw for what feels like hours. This is why practice is so important. If you move the deer will bust you and be gone before you can blink. It's even more difficult when there are multiple deer with more eyes watching. I also highly recommend a quality treestand and a good safety harness like the Hunter Safety System. That what I use. It's also good to start out with a mentor, there's year's of tricks and tips an experienced guy can share with you that will take forever for you to learn by making mistakes. If your in North Jersey I would be happy to help you get started.

Topher -- do you have a place to shoot? Daily? The post above is spot on -- start soon and get comfortable with the bow bow season is different than any gun season -- it's warm -- there are leaves on trees -- and the deer aren't nearly as skiddish Its an awesome time of year to be in the woods

Hey Gents.

Deer Slayer, I'm in north Jersey, Bergen County. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for the replies. The reason I am beginning to ask now is so that I don't feel rushed into getting equiptment. It looks to be a bit of an investment. However to answer a few questions...

I don't have a place to shoot daily. I can of course work on it. That's not a problem. I am a member at Cherry Ridge. So I will practice there a good bit. I am most certainly looking for a decent, not top of the line, bow. I have held some stuff but I will be getting measured in the next few days, I hope. When I know that measurement, I'll start seriously looking. This is my first season hunting and honestly it's a ton of fun. I like being alone and it's a great way to do it and just get out and watch how nature works. Additionally I am wanting to extend my season as gun season is just too short. Plus I can get a jump on the deer. Too many benefits to ignore. Add to that it's just so gorgeous and it's a no lose kinda thing.

C

As long as you find someone with the same draw length as you are, should be good to go. I'm 5'6" 140 lbs but that doesn't tell you what your arm length and chest width is. That's what matters. My draw length is 25.5". You need to get measured. Unless you planned on using a crossbow that makes no difference.

I Live In Sussex County About 40 Min West Of you. If you're hunting in Jersey chances are it's going to be out this way. I don't know of too many places in Bergen county open to hunting. There probably is someplace legal though.

As long as you find someone with the same draw length as you are, should be good to go. I'm 5'6" 140 lbs but that doesn't tell you what your arm length and chest width is. That's what matters. My draw length is 25.5". You need to get measured. Unless you planned on using a crossbow that makes no difference. I Live In Sussex County About 40 Min West Of you. If you're hunting in Jersey chances are it's going to be out this way. I don't know of too many places in Bergen county open to hunting. There probably is someplace legal though.

I'm upstate.

Thanks, Old School!!

C

I'm 5'6" 140 lbs but that doesn't tell you what your arm length and chest width is. That's what matters.

height actually does give a good idea on draw length --  Try this --  Stretch out both arms, out to your sides, and have someone measure fingertip to fingertip --

The distance will be very close to your height --  

Chris --My bow is going to be long for you -- I'm 6'1  210 pounds -- I do have a very good crossbow if you wish to try that -- ten point stealth

Jer

With modern bow costs today, the sky is the limit. Shop around, but go to a good shop and stick with a middle of the road bow for your first one. Plenty of people upgrade every year to the latest and greatest, and you can find lots of good, used bows on the market. They are always for sale on NJH or over at Archery Talk.

In addition to bow, another way to broaden your deer season is to hunt with a muzzleloader.

Upstate works, I can't imagine setting up a treestand in Hackensack, River Edge, Closter, or Alpine lol...

Judging from the number of treestands, gut piles, dead deer and arrows that I've found over the years, along with incidents of guys caught hunting illegally over the last forty years, I'd say I've seen and heard of a fair share of these goings-on in Bergen County towns like River Vale, Emerson, Woodcliff Lake, Old Tappan, Washington Township, Upper Saddle River and Hillsdale. Too many big bucks running through neighborhoods and into small and large pieces of woods where some folks simply ignore the laws.

In the town I live in, just fifteen years ago I used to shoot in my backyard all the time. As the season drew close, I'd set up my portable tree stand in my oak tree and practice. Can't do that anymore with the "No Discharge of Anything" laws.

A close and covenient place for you to bowshoot would be the Campgaw archery range. Bergen Bowmen, Inc. are in Bergen County and they use the county's Campgaw Road range:
http://www.bergenbowmen.com/

You can join the Bowmen to shoot or register as a Bergen County resident to get your state parks county card and you can access the range:
http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/DocumentCenter/View/1121

Ringwood State Park is an area close to Bergen County that is close for you to hunt if you don't want to travel upstate or to the Western corridor of NJ. You'll see lots of bear and coyotes in this area too. Ramapo Mtn. & Ringwood SP both offer areas that are open to hunting. Just steer clear of the hikers, bird-watchers and those mountain bikers in their spandex shorts.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/hunting_areas.pdf

Ringwood State Park is an area close to Bergen County that is close for you to hunt if you don't want to travel upstate or to the Western corridor of NJ. You'll see lots of bear and coyotes in this area too. Ramapo Mtn. & Ringwood SP both offer areas that are open to hunting. Just steer clear of the hikers, bird-watchers and those mountain bikers in their spandex shorts.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/hunting_areas.pdf

Don't forget about the Jackson Whites lol... they're in those woods too...

I assume you know no discharge laws towns pass do not effect hunting? townships have no atthority to stop anyone from legally engaging in hunting activities. As long as its not on township owned property. As far as archery target practice in your yard goes there's not much they can do about that either, unless your launching projectiles into your neighbors yard. I personally like shooting the bow in the basement or garage anyway removes wind from the equation. Maybe this is why I don't live in Bergen county. My father wonders why I don't enjoy visiting him in Maywood.

Don't forget about the Jackson Whites lol... they're in those woods too... I assume you know no discharge laws towns pass do not effect hunting? townships have no atthority to stop anyone from legally engaging in hunting activities. As long as its not on township owned property. As far as archery target practice in your yard goes there's not much they can do about that either, unless your launching projectiles into your neighbors yard. I personally like shooting the bow in the basement or garage anyway removes wind from the equation. Maybe this is why I don't live in Bergen county. My father wonders why I don't enjoy visiting him in Maywood.

Yep, been running into them since the late 60's up there. During deer season I'd run into them occasionally, some toting semi-automatic Remington 742's, no blaze orange, conducting highly-orchestrated deer drives. They were quite the organized sight.

If you research the county archives, Bergen County was once an area rich with hunting up until the late 50's, early 60's, believe it or not. It's changed drastically. Then again, that was a half-century ago. Time marches on.

This is under review in Montvale now regarding bow discharge:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/officials-rethinking-ban-1.1115528

If you want a simple, deadly set-up, get a recurve and shoot instinctive. If you ever get to the south jersey area I can hook you up with a few to play with, but I dont have any for sale.

I hunted with compounds that had all the bells and whistles and I was constantly adjusting and checking the bells and whistles to confirm they didnt move out of alignment. I switched to traditional equipment and never looked back. I use a back/side quiver so the only thing in my hand is my bow. They are also much lighter than the compounds.

If you want a simple, deadly set-up, get a recurve and shoot instinctive. If you ever get to the south jersey area I can hook you up with a few to play with, but I dont have any for sale.

I hunted with compounds that had all the bells and whistles and I was constantly adjusting and checking the bells and whistles to confirm they didnt move out of alignment. I switched to traditional equipment and never looked back. I use a back/side quiver so the only thing in my hand is my bow. They are also much lighter than the compounds.

I started with traditional archery as a kid. That's not easy, and the range is limited. Not that I have a problem with it, definitely takes a real man to use traditional equipment. I actually really love the crossbow these days. I like to kill deer sitting down with precision silently. If I'm after a big buck I bring the Matthews. For meat it's the Parker Cyclone all day.

I love the thought of a recurve. I love the simplicity. However, for me and my particular circumstances, I feel a compound is the better choice.

C

FWIW, I went to Dick's the other day. Seems my draw length is 27"

I figure since I despise that store so much, I may as well use them for the down and dirty measurement. I'll get that refined at Targeteers in the next few days.

C

FWIW, I went to Dick's the other day. Seems my draw length is 27"

I figure since I despise that store so much, I may as well use them for the down and dirty measurement. I'll get that refined at Targeteers in the next few days.

C

Just for kicks and giggles I'm shooting 27.5"

Chris, There is a public archery range in Kearny, i'm pretty sure its open to anyone. Just have to bring your own targets. I have nice Mission by Matthews i bought a couple years ago and have not shot it much. But I want to get back into using it. I went over to Garden State Bow and Reel up in Stockholm on Rt23. They treated me and the wifey great. She also got a nice Bear bow. Targeteers was very overwhelming when we went in, people were nice though. prices are kinda high. 

Chris, There is a public archery range in Kearny, i'm pretty sure its open to anyone. Just have to bring your own targets. I have nice Mission by Matthews i bought a couple years ago and have not shot it much. But I want to get back into using it. I went over to Garden State Bow and Reel up in Stockholm on Rt23. They treated me and the wifey great. She also got a nice Bear bow. Targeteers was very overwhelming when we went in, people were nice though. prices are kinda high.

Thanks, bud. Right now, convenience is king. Targeteers is 10 minutes from my house. I'm not committed at this time to anyone or anything, however being so close, they get a small pass on price.

C

Sooooooooooooooooooo...

Anyone got any suggestions on what to look for in a bow?

I read the huntersfriend.com buyers guide. Very informative. I'm still a bit lost. I think I want a bow in the 400 dollar range(bare bow). Less would be great. If I get further into it, that's all well and good. If not, not a great loss.

Oh Lord, why am I cursed with so many expensive interests!?!?!?!?

C

I would say look for something that feels comfortable to hold and draw, you need a minimum of 35lbs to hunt with. That shouldn't be an issue most bows are adjustable up to 70 lbs. I prefer Matthews myself, but bowtech, parker, Martin, PSE, Hoytt, and even Bear are all decently made bows. Each brand has different quality, features, and price levels. It's important to get the opinions of the bow pro from the store you choose to purchase from. I totally trust my guy been dealing with him for 20 years since I was in High school. He has never steered me wrong. Tell them what your budget is and your plans/experience and they should be able to help you out. If you don't mind the drive out this way I can meet you where I shop and introduce you to my guy. I promise he will take good care of you.