Newtonian

What to buy; 9mm revolver? I'm confused.

I have three permits pending. I believe I'll be getting the call next week. 

My current calibers are .357 magnum and .38 special (sp101, GP100), .22lr (semi and S&W 617 revolver), a couple of Makarovs. Just dumped a Sig p238 because it was stupid for me and I hated shooting it. 

I'm expanding my horizons to 9mm (9x19) by purchasing a CZ75. 

Not many choices out there in terms of 9mm revolvers though. Not interested in an extremely long-barreled $1000-plus wheel gun. Not interested in the super-light snubbies either. If and when the time comes to leave this inner circle of hell known as NJ, I might consider a gun like that.

Suggestions on my revolver fetish? Suggestions on another caliber? I'm open minded.

Other than siderman's suggestion, your restrictions in your post pretty much put you out of the game.

Ruger is now making the LCR in 9mm, but that's a light/snubbie

Taurus makes two 9mm revolvers, both snubbies

S&W currently has the 929 (long barrel/$1K+) and the 986 (right around $1K)

S&W previously made the 940 (a hammerless snubbie) and the 547 - nice medium frame (K) revolver that does not need moon clips. These have been relegated to collectible status and as such bring around $1K

That's about it.

Surplus City in PA had a bunch of police trade-ins. Model 64's. Also some semi-autos - P226 or P229/.40 S&W under $500. 3rd Gen Glocks in .40 S&W under $400. And a bunch of other stuff. I'm sure a lot of it is gone now becuase they were packed yesterday when I was there. My buddy bought a model 37 (airweight J-frame .38), a 2" barrelled model 10 (K-frame Sq Butt) and a 3" model 65 (K-frame .357 magnum - all for $1100 OTD. Best buy that I saw was a model 438 for $280 - airweight, J-frame w/shrouded hammer.

Good luck. If this is just for a range toy, I'd save-up and get the 986.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a few Ruger revolvers and I like them ! I have one convertible and i think its funny I cant remember the calibers :)

.45 Colt / .45 ACP

.38 Spl, .357 Mag / 9mm

.32 H&R Mag / .32-20

.22 LR / .22 Mag

I think those were the only convertibles

...S&W previously made the 940 (a hammerless snubbie) and the 547 - nice medium frame (K) revolver that does not need moon clips...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Curious.  How does a revolver retain 9mm rounds in the cylinders without moon clips?

Well, 

The new smith 9mm variants ( 929/986 ) are nice for the guy who wants to get into revolver and doesn't want to start investing in additional calibers. It sounds like you are already setup in 38 in the ammo department. So it MAY NOT be a good transition to make over the standard 8 shot .38 S&W 627 models.

(If you are interested in 9mm because of the competition aspect with faster reloads due to shorter cases, look at buying some .38 short colt cases, they are the same dimensions as 9mm, but they have a rim on them. You can use .38 short colt in any 38/357 revolver, with or without moonclips with zero modifications ) 

Unlike the 38 variants (627)...You also NEED to always use moonclips when using the 9mm series of revolvers. This can be a pain when at the range and just wanting to dump some rounds and the cylinder for plinking, everything needs to be clipped.

The 929/986 are still new to the market, have their quirks, and issues. They are also extremely hard to find ( more so the 929 currently ) and are pretty expensive.

Now the good, The best thing the 929 has going for it is its specs at the price point. It already has a 6.5 inch barrel, and titanium cylinder. I built a custom 627 to those specs and spent significantly more. 

There are spring loaded tabs that retract when pushing ammo into the cylinders and then extend into the extractor grooves...

2uh3jwo.jpg

This is what tied-up Charter Arms intro of their Pit Bull series. S&W took them to court for patent infringement. Speaking of which, Charter Arms makes a 9mm revolver also - but it would be eliminated by your criteria - light & snubbie.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks all for the advice.

The more I think about it, the more research I do, the more I feel that a 9mm revolver is unnecessary, maybe even unnatural in the cosmic sense of the word.

I originally got onto this quest several months ago, after coming across an article on the now-discontinued SP-101 in 9mm. Since I love the .357 version of that gun I thought "wow, gotta get me one in nine." But really, why would I need a 9 mm revolver that is nearly identical to the SP-101 I already own in .357 mag/.38 sp?!? What is the point of having it in 9mm?

So I think I'll use permit #2 for something else. I'll use #3 to expand my Makarov collection. 

Any ideas for #2? Humor me. See above for my current calibers, which I'm definitely not expanding at this point.

Wait! Dont give up to soon! Ruger lcrx, with 3" barrel and longer grip, and adjustable sights! 38special +p to start, but you know 22lr and 9mm cant be far behind! Ruger is really doing great things!

I have three months from the time the local PD issues my permits. Probably this week. 

If I write Mr. Ruger do you think he can get a 9mm version out before, say, early March?

If I sent the average New Jerseyian to the gun shop to buy me a box of .357 they'd be denied for no FID ;) Tip your waitress, but seriously, if I sent them to PA or DE, they'd come back with a box of .357 loaded with just about the same projectile of the same weight loaded to the same velocity as 9mm +P or +P+. that is the ordinary stuff on the shelf, even in self defense rounds. Sure, you can go hotter in .357 if you buy good stuff or much hotter if you roll your own. But I don't see the point of a 9MM revolver if you have .357. Then again, I'll ALMOST never talk anybody out of a gun purchase that will make them happy :)

I have a 986 Inbound

SM178055.jpg

• Model: 986
  • Caliber: 9mm
  • Capacity: 7 Rounds
  • Action: Single/Double Action
  • Barrel Length: 5” (12.7 cm)
  • Front Sight: Patridge
  • Rear Sight: Adjustable
  • Grip: Synthetic
  • Weight: 34.9 oz. (989.4 g)
  • Overall Length: 10.5” (26.7 cm)
  • Frame Material: Stainless Steel
  • Cylinder Material: Titanium Alloy
  • Finish: Glass Bead

I have a 986 Inbound

SM178055.jpg

• Model: 986
  • Caliber: 9mm
  • Capacity: 7 Rounds
  • Action: Single/Double Action
  • Barrel Length: 5” (12.7 cm)
  • Front Sight: Patridge
  • Rear Sight: Adjustable
  • Grip: Synthetic
  • Weight: 34.9 oz. (989.4 g)
  • Overall Length: 10.5” (26.7 cm)
  • Frame Material: Stainless Steel
  • Cylinder Material: Titanium Alloy
  • Finish: Glass Bead

Christ on a crutch this is so beautiful. I've seen Jerry M. shoot these in videos. 

I was looking for something in the 2.5-3.5 inch barrel range.

Can you convince me to buy it?

Christ on a crutch this is so beautiful. I've seen Jerry M. shoot these in videos. 

If you like the smaller frame (K/L) and really want the 9mm, it's a good choice.

Cons:

7 shots, pretty much useless for competition , and you'll have a smaller selection of moonclips

Why do you want the 2.5"-3" barrel so bad? CCW?

If you want to make it work, cut that 5 inch barrel down to 2.5 inches. 

Lemmi think how i would convince you...

Its beautiful, I'm beautiful.   Not sure if that will work... Oh yea its priced right and not an easy item to find. Did i mention i'm beautiful  :)

Smith produced this video just for you... it has lightning and music :)

Don't they make one of these models with a conversion kit to 9mm? See I already have an SP101 in .357.

Nothing factory, you could always send your cylinder out to a shop that specializes in conversions, and can convert your 38/357 cylinder to 9mm

Check out

Pinnacle customs & tk customs

Nothing factory, you could always send your cylinder out to a shop that specializes in conversions, and can convert your 38/357 cylinder to 9mm

Check out

Pinnacle customs & tk customs

Thanks for the tip. But add the conversion cost + the cost of a S&W and you probably have an $1100-$1200 gun. Plus it would not be a true convertible, correct?