thelosticon

16 inch glock barrel

There is no maximum length on handgun barrels. If it brings the weight of the handgun over 50 oz it would be illegal in NJ.

The weight issue aside the only advantage to putting one of these barrels on your gun would be an increase of 100-150 fps in velocity. Not worth it IMO.

If it brings the weight of the handgun over 50 oz it would be illegal in NJ.

I think the weight issue is mute because when the 16 inch barrel is attached and in the roni housing, the weapon is now a rifle and should no long be subject to handgun regulations

I think the weight issue is mute because when the 16 inch barrel is attached, the weapon is now a rifle and should no long be subject to handgun regulations

If you only attach the barrel it does not make it a rifle as it is designed to be fired with one hand. It is still a handgun without a stock. The 50 oz rule would apply. You can make a handgun into a rifle but it's a one way trip. You can't convert it back to a handgun. There are exceptions to this but this isn't one of them.

The only reason I can see for putting one of these barrels on is because you can. No benefit gained whatsoever.

You can make a handgun into a rifle but it's a one way trip. You can't convert it back to a handgun.

not true, ATF has ruled that you can go from pistol to carbine and back to pistol.

just to clarify, I will not be walking around with a 16 barrel on a Glock, the Glock will of course be in the roni housing, at which point it will be a rifle, and thus my point about the weight aspect being mute.

not true, ATF has ruled that you can go from pistol to carbine and back to pistol.just to clarify, I will not be walking around with a 16 barrel on a Glock, the Glock will of course be in the roni housing, at which point it will be a rifle, and thus my point about the weight aspect being mute.

Interesting you leave out my comment "there are exceptions to this". I have seen ATF rulings regarding pistol to rifle and back to pistol in regards to specific firearms. I think Thompson is one of those. I have not seen a blanket ruling regarding this. I don't know if there is one. The link you give doesn't show a housing it shows a Glock with a long barrel and a stock. The housing is apparently there to hang stuff off and look cool.

If you are confident ATF has made a blanket ruling on pistol to rifle and back or one specific to that conversion please give us a link so we all can be aware of it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. If you are aware of something we're not show us. Contrary to some other people on this forum I have been wrong. Not often but it has happened.

https://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/index.html

scroll down to ruling # 2011-4

excerpt from ruling....

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later un-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

The ATF has changed their position on this (like most things). Current status is handguns can generally be changed into rifles and back again. Not "exceptions," but generally.

Please note: I've had no reason to do this and therefore haven't looked into it in detail, it's just a general observation and common wisdom from their more recent rulings. Verify for yourself.

...thus my point about the weight aspect being mute.

I didn't know the "weight aspect" was capable of speech.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The word you're looking for is "moot".

Personally I think its just a way to make a glock even more ugly but correct me if im wrong but the whole 50oz rule would not apply because the mag is not outside the grip. same reason Desert eagles are legal

The ATF has changed their position on this (like most things). Current status is handguns can generally be changed into rifles and back again. Not "exceptions," but generally.

Please note: I've had no reason to do this and therefore haven't looked into it in detail, it's just a general observation and common wisdom from their more recent rulings. Verify for yourself.

my Google-fu didn't prove fruitful, I haven't come across any literature that indicates this ruling was altered or reversed, do you have a source?

My logic is that for the price of the roni, the 16" barrel and the glock you could get a really nice 9mm AR that takes glock mags. I guess if you are looking for something different or have a spare glock frame then this is the way to go

precisely my logic, sometimes theres too much AR this and AR that

I think it's interesting. Everybody has their thing. It is a rifle. That can become a handgun.

NFA Pro tips:

1. SBR becomes a Rifle when a 16" barrel is put on it

A registered, engraved SBR becomes a Rifle when a 16" barrel is put on it, or an upper swap with a 16" barrel in the case of an AR or similar.

So, I could take an NFA registered SBR in PA, bring it to Jersey with 16" barrel for a carbine course, then drive it to Maine and shoot it as an NFA SBR.

Or, I can sell it to an NJ resident as a rifle even though the receiver is a registered SBR

Of course, it is no longer a registered SBR once I sell it to someone else as a rifle, and ATF encourages sending them a request to remove it from the registry although not required by law :)

Makes the rifle/handgun combo sort of interesting. Is it a rifle or is it a handgun? Hmmm... I have heard NJ has laws that treat handguns and rifles differently ;)

2. AOWs and Silencers can move interstate with no ATF notification.

Vermont is a very strange state. It is extremely liberal and Democrat, if only somewhat progressive. They have almost zero gun laws. I don't think they have ever required any permit for CC, and loaded handgun or rifle carry in cars has no mention in the laws (from what I have heard).

Silencers are illegal in Vermont. Kind of strange. It is a summary offense and a $50 fine. No Vermont resident can purchase or build a silencer, since ATF knows that they are illegal in that jurisdiction. But I can take my silencers to Vermont and ATF won't care one bit. If I get caught (how do you get caught with a silencer?) the cops will cite me $50 and possibly confiscate it.

Please note: There is a lot of valid but fringe legal stuff in this thread I've never had reason to treat in detail, so verify for yourself. Second time today. :)

Beretta spent a lot of money taking them to court over it after getting shafted on the neos.

I read the ATF ruling and agree this seems to be okay with them but not sure what NJ would say.I never paid too much attention to the ruling because I have no desire to do this.

I agree with the others who say to just go and get a 9mm carbine if thats what you want rather than build it with a handgun and aftermarket parts. The reliability and functionality seem to be in question.

The only way I think this might be a good idea is if you lived somewhere where they limited the number of guns you could own.