Sign in to follow this  
PeteyPete

Getting AR New Jerseyized

Who do you guys recommend to use in getting a muzzle brake permanently installed?  Also, what is the going rate to get a brake permanently pinned?

Also, would I be in hot water if I took delivery of an upper that doesn't have a muzzle brake permanently installed and drove it over- to the chosen gunsmith myself? Or should I just have it mailed directly to the gunsmith from the manufacturer?

as long as you don't own a lower in your possession. Constructive possession is when you have all the parts available to construct a illegal item.

Some sites won't ship uppers to individuals so you might have to ship to your ffl

In order to recommend a gunsmith we would know your general location.

Jack,

You stated earlier today that a break can be pinned and not welded if the barrel is 16".  Are you SURE as I though the muzzle device must be perminately attached to the barrel

If it must be pinned AND welded, can it be done with a thread protector in case someone does not want to use any form of break/comp??

Thanks,

Tom

Jack,

You stated earlier today that a break can be pinned and not welded if the barrel is 16".  Are you SURE as I though the muzzle device must be perminately attached to the barrel

If it must be pinned AND welded, can it be done with a thread protector in case someone does not want to use any form of break/comp??

Thanks,

Tom

I am SURE!

There is no written law that states a muzzle devise must be welded on standard 16" barrel (or longer)

The law reads that NFA barrels (most commonly 14.5" and below) must be welded as to not be considered

an SBR (this is an ATF law, not a NJ compliance law though both follow the same ruling)

NJ accepts Blind pinning as 'permanent" (again, I am SURE)

As for a Tread Protector  -Yes you can pin a thread protector on the 16" barrel if you didn't want to use a 

muzzle devise, but you cannot do that to the 14.5" barrel because it requires a 1.5" extension of some sort

to comply with ATF rulings on SBR's.