Blake

First revolver

I recently picked this bad boy up and I am really loving it. It is a 1970's Colt Python 4". Its in like new condition and came with all the original paperwork and box.

My dilemma is that since its in such good condition I dont wana start shooting it in fear of decreasing its value.

I have a couple more permits, what can I buy that is the same fit/finish/feel that I can shoot the crap out of and not worry about the collector value? I want to shoot this thing so bad but it sat in a safe for 40 yrs and I am historically not easy on my guns so I dont want to ruin a good thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

beautiful gun Blake, keep it, don't shoot 'er, buy another revolver as your shooter.

Thanks Tony!  What can I buy that will give me the same experience as this?  I really like the heft of it and how tight the lockup of the cylinder is.  The whole thing just feels very tight, but the trigger pull is extremely smooth.  I'm hooked on it :)

Get a GP100 and put a $10 spring kit in it. Awesome gun built like a tank that you can shoot a million rounds through, trigger is great with spring kit, multiple barrel lengths to choose from, and price is right. Front sight also super easy to change if you want to go fiber optic.

Congrats on the python, she's a beauty.

Give it to me, I'll shooy it for you.

;)

Or I can bring my Python and you can shoot it.

Lol, thanks for offering your services!  If you don't mind me putting a couple rounds thru it I would gladly shoot it.  I will bring ammo and also bring mine so you can check it out.  You can tell me if you think its ok to put a few rds downrange.  My biggest thing is the cylinders/bore look pristine, don't want to change that.

I have no safe queens but for this I might just put it in the back of the safe after I shot a box or two thru it.  Yes, I would want to know what it would be to have shot it.  Let's face it in another 40 years it will be worth nothing or a lot, just as much as a NIB, because nobody could prove what its status is.

Go look for a used Ruger Security-Six.  You can't kill it, great balance and the GP-100's baby daddy.  I will never give up mine.  With the oversize grips, it is a lot like the pony.  Back in 1984 when I got mine, it fit a lot nicer that the Python. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have the Python and the Security Six.  Shot the crap out of that Ruger, sent it back in the late nineties because of a cylinder binding problem, and it came back with a new cylinder, crane, barrel, and a complete re-blue job.  Looked as good as the day I bought it.  Haven't shot it much since then, so it looks great today.

Great score, enjoy it, I would hate for you to never know what a joy the Python is to shoot at least a little. 

I don't know what you gave for that, but Pythons are bringing astronomical amounts and continue to escalate. A friend of mine just bought one in only slightly better condition (his also included the outer carton), and paid $3400 for it - so, yes, by all means, make it a safe queen and buy a shooter. For a similar size and weight, look at the ubiquitous S&W 586/686.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't know what you gave for that, but Pythons are bringing astronomical amounts and continue to escalate. A friend of mine just bought one in only slightly better condition (his also included the outer carton), and paid $3400 for it - so, yes, by all means, make it a safe queen and buy a shooter. For a similar size and weight, look at the ubiquitous S&W 586/686.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Pizza Bob.  I have handled the 686 and didn't get the same feel for it as I do with this gun but it might have been the rubber grips on the 686.  I don't mind saying what I paid for it bc this will be with me for the next several decades (or passed on to someone if I'm not here)..  A local shop posted it online for $1400+tax/nics and due to my impulsive nature I called them immediately and paid for it without seeing the pistol.  My permits came in recently and I am happy with my purchase :)

Keep the Python and buy a shooter!

If you like the size & weight of the Python, try a Dan Wesson 15-2 with target grips............

Good Luck!

Interested in this...just missed a DW revolver by a few minutes not too long ago for a great price.  I will have to keep a sharp eye out for them.

You have to shoot it at least once.

The 586 is S&Ws Python. The Python was extremely popular and S&W shamelessly copied it. The mechanisms are a bit different though, as a S&W doesn't need to be tuned like a Python and could probably handle more abuse. 

I never messed with a Python, but I feel that Colt revolvers have a much different trigger than S&Ws. My K-frame, as well as my dads, both have a very consistent trigger pull. My dads Detective Special has almost a two stage, it is difficult to describe. I don't know what I like better. I do hate the Colt cylinder release. 

Putting on my flame suit.......Doesn't Taurus make a revolver that looks like a Python? I've heard (never shot one) that Taurus revolvers have a very nice trigger out of the box. If your looking for an inexpensive revolver I wouldn't overlook Taurus.

I have a GP100 100 and it is a joy to shoot. Out of the box the trigger isn't great but it def smoothes out.

Congrats on the Python purchase!

Take a look at S&W K frames. IMO, they are the best handling revolvers made. A Model 19-3 or 19-4 would be right up your alley. You reload, right? If you want to shoot nuke loads, get an N frame. It is not as good handling, but it will stand up to anything you feed it. 

My opinion is that it should be enjoyed by occasionally taking it out for a bit of shooting, but still keep it clean and cared for in between those sessions.

It's a $1,400 gun... not a million dollar one.  People beat the crap out of AR's or shotguns that cost more than $1,400.

So you go out and buy a 686 that cost $7-800 dollars to use as a "shooter"... that's only a few hundred $$ less in the grand scheme of things.  Hardly throwing away a grand inheritance for your progeny considering the Colt isn't going to drop to zero value just because it's had a few bullets through the barrel.

I guess I just buy things (even nice ones) to use, not to collect dust.

In with Mark Anthony on this.

Guns are for shooting. Especially the really good ones.

Just like you wouldn't buy a $3,000 custom 1911 and not shoot it.

The whole point of a great gun is in putting rounds down range with it.

That said, if you're looking for a nice revolver to put through the paces, get a GP. Here's one of mine (the one on the bottom)

xelQC3B.jpg

My opinion is that it should be enjoyed by occasionally taking it out for a bit of shooting, but still keep it clean and cared for in between those sessions.

It's a $1,400 gun... not a million dollar one.  People beat the crap out of AR's or shotguns that cost more than $1,400.

Gotta disagree here. The difference being that they still make AR's etc. There are no more Pythons. Also Pythons tend to be somewhat delicate (comparatively speaking) and there are few gunsmiths that know their way around the innards of a Python. The ones that do have waiting lists exceeding a year and a half for any work. Considering current prices, Blake stole this gun -  if he doesn't pass it down he could already realize a ROI exceeding 100% - the more the gun is shot, the greater the chance of something happening to it and the more that percentage declines.

Truthfully, except for the visual aesthetics, I was never really impressed with the way a Python feels and shoots. If I were looking for a revolver strictly for investment potential, it would be a Python because there are still deals to be had (as evidenced by this purchase). For shooting a have always preferred S&W and it's doubtful anything will come along to change my mind.

Blake, you did great - but recognize a safe queen - stow it away and buy something else to shoot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What grips do you have on the GP?

In with Mark Anthony on this.

Guns are for shooting. Especially the really good ones.

Just like you wouldn't buy a $3,000 custom 1911 and not shoot it.

The whole point of a great gun is in putting rounds down range with it.

That said, if you're looking for a nice revolver to put through the paces, get a GP. Here's one of mine (the one on the bottom)

xelQC3B.jpg

Gotta disagree here. The difference being that they still make AR's etc. There are no more Pythons. Also Pythons tend to be somewhat delicate (comparatively speaking) and there are few gunsmiths that know their way around the innards of a Python. The ones that do have waiting lists exceeding a year and a half for any work. Considering current prices, Blake stole this gun -  if he doesn't pass it down he could already realize a ROI exceeding 100% - the more the gun is shot, the greater the chance of something happening to it and the more that percentage declines.

Truthfully, except for the visual aesthetics, I was never really impressed with the way a Python feels and shoots. If I were looking for a revolver strictly for investment potential, it would be a Python because there are still deals to be had (as evidenced by this purchase). For shooting a have always preferred S&W and it's doubtful anything will come along to change my mind.

Blake, you did great - but recognize a safe queen - stow it away and buy something else to shoot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As usual, Bob beat me to it. 

I wish that S&W could get the formula for that Colt Royal Blue. I have never seen a nicer finish on a gun. 

Nice Python. I agree, you need to get a nice Ruger to use as a shooter. I have three; a Security Six .357, a Redhawk .44, and a SP101 in .38 Spc. I've put spring kits in all of them as well as polishing the guts and adding hammer, trigger, and hammer dog shims, and they all are a pleasure to shoot. The Security Six was my first firearm.

IMG_2051a_zps8a7bcbc0.jpg

What can I buy that will give me the same experience as this?

Only another Python.

By making this your first revolver, you will be disappointed by every subsequent revolver you purchase.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy others, just be prepared... :-)

Only another Python.

By making this your first revolver, you will be disappointed by every subsequent revolver you purchase.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy others, just be prepared... :-)

Truer words have not been spoken...

Thanks for all of the replies guys.  To those saying its a gun and I should just shoot it you should know that I have no issue shooting expensive toys and using them as they are meant to be used.  I have several things worth way more than this that I wouldn't hesitate to crawl through some mud with and run hard - bc thats what they were bought for and they can be replaced as Pizza Bob said.  I won't be able to easily replace this (especially at this price) so thats factoring into my decision.

I went to the range with NJ Pilot today and when we looked it over well it was evident that even though its in really good shape it had obviously been shot before.  Due to this I decided to put a few rounds downrange to satisfy my curiosity and I was very happy with it even though I only put 30rds thru it. 

Now that my itch has been scratched it's going back into the safe where it will sit for most of it's life.  I will probably take it out once in a blue moon but I am going to buy another revolver to shoot regularly.

NJ Pilot was nice enough to bring a 586 along (and his Python too which is a beauty :) ) and I really liked the 586.  I think I will start looking for one of those as more of a beater.  I will also look again at the Ruger's but I recall not liking them as much last time I handled a GP100.