Howard

USPSA 12/21/14 @ RTSP registration open

Howard, can you give us some more details on this?  Estimated round count, number of stages, etc.? Will they have a classifier at these matches?  Show up early to set up, or will they already have it set up?

Thanks!

Jimmy, you lazy ass... just click the link

RTSP hosts USPSA matches on the 3rd Sunday of every month. Matches will include 4 stages (3 field courses / 1 classifier), and will require approx. 100 rounds. Match check-in is 5pm, and stage setup begins following check-in. Pre-match shooters meeting is 6pm, and completion is targeted for 10pm.

How do I go about joining USPSA and shooting these matches? Sounds fun, what guns qualify for the matches?

You can pretty much shoot anything starting from 9mm and up - there are several divisions that will fit almost any gun you might want to use. At a minimum you need to have a gun, a holster and at least 3-4 mags (+ mag pouches, but you can in principle stick your mags under your belt for the first match or two) .

Spend some time and read this ~10 page intro from one of the USPSA clubs - I'd say it's probably the best one I've ever seen - http://www.northwestsection.org/files/SafetyCheck_Mar_08.pdf

(though it might not be 100% up to date in details)

There is also a lot of intro videos on youtube (some better than others, as usual) - check out the sticky thread in this section.

If you are shooting a popular handgun and you don't have enough mags / holster etc., let people know about this and I am sure there will be folks willing to share their mags / gear with you (e.g. I'm happy to bring you Glock 19 mags if you need).

^^^ thank you I have a G19 and 5 mags for it. What type of holster? I've got an IWB Galco and a owb blackhawk serpa. I've always heard serpa holsters are a bad idea due to finger placement. Mag pouches I would have to get but that no big deal. Neither would another more appropriate holster.

I would say - definitely not IWB, but I am not really sure about Serpa - I remember reading at least at several different sources that several clubs have specifically banned Serpa from being used at their matches / ranges, but I can't say anything conclusive on this, sorry.

Generally speaking (and reiterating what I've heard many-many times from much more seasoned shooters - I am a relative newb myself) try not to overinvest in the beginning and try to use what you already have and what you can easily borrow as much as you can. Math is simple. Crappy double pouch will cost you anywhere around $20-30. Crappy belt - another 20 or so. Crappy holster - 20+. I can reassure you that over the course of first 2...3... or even more matches your primary concern should NOT be about how fast your draw or about how fast you reload on the run, but rather about how to do it in a SAFE manner and not getting DQed. When and if you realize that you like the thing, you can make some one-off investment into a good belt system, adjustable mag pouches, good competition holster etc.

G19 is a good USPSA starter gun for Production division. I started with G19 a year ago, many other shooters I know started with it...

I just read all 18 pages, it sounds fun. A lot to remember initially. I can understand why you wouldn't want to attempt to rush through a match until you've done one a bunch of times to get the feel for all the procedure. I'm sure it becomes more familiar with repetition. Accuracy first speed comes with time like almost any other sport. Makes perfect sense to me. I think I would like to watch a match first as a spectator. Is that allowed?

I'm pretty sure if you just watch you will be sorry you didn't shoot it. Theres really no pressure, take your time and have fun.

Its a blast (pun intended). I have shot a couple of matches with a G19 ,5 mags and a leather desantis holster. No need to spend

tons of cash on anything unless you decide you want to continue. Everyones  helpful . Sometimes at outdoor matches they will

have a rifle stage at the end. Try it you will probably be hooked

If you can bring the gear and shoot the match as long as you can draw safely from the holster. They MD will most likely have you do a safty check before the match. I would think the indoor match would be a good place to start less complicated stages (Alec kingsover :) ) and less round count.

If you did not sign up already don't bother as it is already filled with a large waiting list.  For those that missed it and are now interested in some competitive shooting there is knockdown steel (sat) and IDPA (sun) at Old Bridge this weekend.  Let me know if you have questions about those.

I just read all 18 pages, it sounds fun. A lot to remember initially. I can understand why you wouldn't want to attempt to rush through a match until you've done one a bunch of times to get the feel for all the procedure. I'm sure it becomes more familiar with repetition. Accuracy first speed comes with time like almost any other sport. Makes perfect sense to me. I think I would like to watch a match first as a spectator. Is that allowed?

I completely agree with oneshot above - there is essentially no *need* to come as a spectator :) (while it is clearly not forbidden).

If you want to get a flavor of what USPSA matches are a little in advance, there's a plenty of youtube videos available with absolutely different levels of shooters there ranging from complete "unclassified" beginners to experienced GMs :) Many folks run with action cams and post those videos openly on youtube, so you can get an idea of how the whole match can look like.

If RTSP is out of the scope because of number of participants limitations, consider coming to CJUSPSA this Sunday - there's a separate thread on it - http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/73848-uspsa-cjrpc-dec-14-2014/

CJ USPSA matches (at least in my view and based on shooting there at least several times last year) are very friendly to new shooters (well, correction, ALL USPSA matches I've been so far at are definitely very newb-friendly, but some of them, like Ontelaunee, are sometimes too big (9 stages or so) and can be exhausting even for seasoned shooters, let alone first-timers), Vlad tries to place all first-time shooters in different squads making sure that there are plenty of opportunities for knowledge transfer :) Just make sure you come on time to have a first-time shooter briefing session (or "safety check" as it is sometimes called) and you're GTG...

I highly recommend you take the intro class the day before. I took it and it was worth the $40. I never watched a match and managed to finish in the middle of the pack my first time out. I will be there on 12/21.

Shongum also has matches but i forget what day they are.

Shongum is the first Saturday of the month. It has been rained out the last three months - hopefully January will be GTG. If it goes off, it will be a classifier match. Six stages, all classifiers - the quickest way to get classified in USPSA.

Most clubs have a package deal for joining the USPSA. Pay the $40 annual fee and shoot the match for free. Check with the specific club to confirm

Read the stickies in the Competition section of the forum.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Shongum is the first Saturday of the month. It has been rained out the last three months - hopefully January will be GTG. If it goes off, it will be a classifier match. Six stages, all classifiers - the quickest way to get classified in USPSA.

Most clubs have a package deal for joining the USPSA. Pay the $40 annual fee and shoot the match for free. Check with the specific club to confirm

Read the stickies in the Competition section of the forum.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Can someone Remind me  when that classifier match comes around please? I have crapped out on my classification stages and would like to get to that match. I do my best to remember but i always seem to forget. .. Ugh