Sign in to follow this  
gleninjersey

FREE FLOAT FOREND

I have a 14.5 inch barrel with welded brake. My FFL said it should be possible to remove welded brake without damaging it so I can attach a free float forend and then have the brake rewelded back on the barrel.

I'm thinking about this forend:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rifles/ar-15/ar-15/ar15-forends

Which length should I be looking at? I think the 15 inch will be too long once you take into account the F8 nose cone. Should I be looking at the carbine length kit?

Also, anyone have this forend? If so, how do you like it?

Your problem isn't the muzzle device, it is the gas block. You didn't mention what kind of gas block or front sight you have. 

Usually the issue is not if the barrel nut or handguard clear the muzzle device, they almost always do because the barrel nut inner diameter is 1" or so. 

You have a number of options:

1) Get a handguard that fits the factory barrel nut. You can even get one that it is two pieces but then it gets harder to make it longer then the gas system unless you get one of those with a hole for the front sight tower. 

2) get a handguard that fits the factory barrel nut and cut off the front sight and replace it with a two piece gas block, either one with a front sight on it, or a low profile one. 

3) you could take everything off and reweld and such but to my mind at that point you might as well buy a new barrel and brake and start from scratch. 

Sorry, I forgot to include in original post that it is a mid-length gas system with traditional A2 pillar front sight post.  Not sure what type of gas block that's called though...still kinda new to all this.

This is it:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa/5-56-nato-223/14-7-pinned/psa-14-7-chf-mid-length-lightweight-unpinned-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Not completly sold on the ATI forend. Saw a review (Sootch00) and like the F8 nose cone.

Now that I look at the ATI offerings a little more closely it doesn't appear they offer a mid length option. I may have to look at other forends.

Lots or rails to choose from. I would buy something of known good quality. Noveske, bcm, kac, slr and even midwest just to name a few. Hacking of yoUR brake will give you more choices in rails. Also, if you have a standard fsb, grind it down to a low pro gas block. That is the best and most secure gb. If you need a hand/more info call me at the shop number on our website.

good luck with reusing the brake.. I just did this twice.. and I ended up cutting the brake off.. it was shit.. pick a handguard you REALLY like and go for it.. you can cut the A2 front sight to fit under a free float.. both of my Noveske NSRs have shaved A2 sights under them.. and that handguard is tiny..

I'm prob not going with ATI as I don't see a midlenght option available. I may cakl them to inquire.

With all the drop in rails available I may go that route. Seems like much less of a hassle. I think I would like to keep my original A post front sight.

Nothing set in concrete and I'm in no rush. Going to keep looking.