Golf battery

Basic reloading classes

Looking to take a class in reloading. Im compiling the basic pieces for reloading. But id like some instructions. Im in no rush. I figured it would be a bit of winter hobby and save a few dollars on ammo. Eventually. Any suggestions. Im in central jersey.

Look at the NRA website. I am up in New Hampshire, but found a reloading class nearby through it. I had been reloading for a long time, but never felt as comfortable with bottleneck cartridges and case preparation as I wanted to. The class was a nice refresher, and made me feel better about reloading rifle. 

Read, read and read some more.  Get you hands on some of the standard reloading manuals such as Hornady, Nosler, Lee, Lyman and Speer.  I  also highly recommend The ABCs of reloading, I think it is Rodney James

Thanks og. Im gonna be loading 308-223-9 and 45. And 45 colt. I hear the biggest problem is powder shortages. I like 3oo yd plus shooting so that i know from what ive gathered needs to be done on a single stage press for exact tolerances

If you guys want the NRA course I can't recommend Chet and the crew at ShootNJ enough. I took the course earlier this year and learned not only WHAT to do but WHY it's done and WHAT to do when something goes awry.

Highly recommended.

http://gunforhire.com/nra-metallic-reloading/

if you are willing to travel, Anthony's courses are top notch.

As others have said read, read, read. Abc's of reloading is good for the concepts. HorNady, Lyman etc are more towards different loads. It isn't difficult, just have to be careful and alert. Distracted loading is a recipe for disaster.

Just out of curiosity how many time's can brass be reloaded.  example 223 

It depends on how much the brass gets "worked" each time it is fired. A looser military chamber means the brass is enlarged more each time and the neck elongated. How hot the loads are is also a contributing factor. On a precision bolt-action rifle, the chamber is nice and tight. A lot of people don't even size the brass more than once, since it gets fire-formed to the chamber dimensions. 

So the answer is... it depends. 

In your example, a piece of 223 brass run through a 5.56 AR-15 chamber and run at moderate velocity might get 4 or 5 reloadings. Perhaps more. 

For handgun brass, I don't think I ever through out a piece of 45 brass because it was too weak or cracked. For my nuclear 10mm loads though, I would only use new Starline Brass. They would show serious signs of wear after the second loading. 

You reoad brass until it shows signs of weakness, and them  you scrap it.

Hi power loads, low power loads , hi pressure loads, they all vary.

in pistols its a matter of time until the brass develops a crack ,in rifles its a matter of case head separation .

Usually from a chamber sizing issue or a pressure issue.

Wildcatting and fireforming are a completely different matter

Just out of curiosity how many time's can brass be reloaded.  example 223 

I have some going on 12 times.  I get a little crazy with them though.  I anneal the case necks every 3rd firing, dont load em too hot, and use a case gauge (I prefer dillon's) to set your dies properly.  I think the dillon go/no go gauge saved the brass the most.  You would be surprised how much some dies push the neck down.  Oversizing kills brass quickly.

Ken

If you guys want the NRA course I can't recommend Chet and the crew at ShootNJ enough. I took the course earlier this year and learned not only WHAT to do but WHY it's done and WHAT to do when something goes awry.

Highly recommended.

FWIW, Chet and Dawn are good people. Dawn instructed me in NRA Basic Pistol. If they offered a class in something I'm sure you'd get your $'s worth from it.