Sign in to follow this  
Phillies

FID card for shotgun ammo ?

I'm pretty certain an FID card is only needed for pistol ammo correct? It seems many online places are also asking me for an FID card when I just want to buy some shotgun shells. I tried explaining it to one company and they insisted that they spoke to the NJSP and were told that FID cards are needed for all ammo sales. WTH ?

We all know the NJSP isnt the "be all end all" of firearms knowledge.  That said, a lot of online vendors will require an FID for any ammo.  Just because your first purchase from them was shotgun ammo, that doesnt mean you cant buy pistol ammo in the future from them. 

I'm pretty certain an FID card is only needed for pistol ammo correct? It seems many online places are also asking me for an FID card when I just want to buy some shotgun shells. I tried explaining it to one company and they insisted that they spoke to the NJSP and were told that FID cards are needed for all ammo sales. WTH ?

The only thing you can be sure of is that the rules can and will change at a moments notice, that arguing will get you nowhere, and that if you want your shit you will comply.

"they spoke to the NJSP and were told that FID cards are needed for all ammo sales."

To be polite, horse puckey! If they actually spoke to someone at the NJSP, it was one of their typical double digit IQ dullards who was clueless. More than likely it was just store policy generated by their on-call shyster to avoid any possibilty of trouble

No, not true.

FID is needed for handgun ammunition only, some ammo (22lr and 45lc) can be used in both pistols and rifles but as long as you tell the store or merchant it''s for use in a rifle no FID is needed.

All that may be required (in-store) is a drivers license for shotgun and rifle ammo but most stores never carded me when buying it.

Online merchants have asked for my FPID before, others have not. They fear NJSP might come after them considering how complex are gun laws in NJ are.

.410 can be handgun ammo.

Yes but most would simply say to the clerk or merchant it's for a long gun.

I remember buying 9mm ammo for a carbine a year or so ago, the box had "9mm carbine only" stamped on it but it was the same bullet weight and load as the handgun ammo sitting next to it on the shelf ;)

This online retailer not only claimed to have spoken to the NJSP, but they gave me the officer's name and rank that they apparently spoke to. Perhaps the NJSP is giving out bad info.  And the retailer also offered to send my email to that NJSP officer so he could inform me personally how a FID card is needed for all ammo.

This online retailer not only claimed to have spoken to the NJSP, but they gave me the officer's name and rank that they apparently spoke to. Perhaps the NJSP is giving out bad info.  And the retailer also offered to send my email to that NJSP officer so he could inform me personally how a FID card is needed for all ammo.

They have no idea what they are talking about! I HIGHLY doubt they spoke to ANYONE at NJSP as this isn't even close to the law.

I would contact NJSP yourself and inquire about this, if you are determined to buy from them you might consider writing NJSP and getting a letter showing it's legal.

Better yet, do not give that company a single penny (if possible) and buy from another merchant.

I had Samco Global Arms in FL tell me they could only sell me ammo if I had a FFL and NJ retail firearms license which is bull.