RUTGERS95

Retro AR's

I am a retro guy. I have an A2 lower with a type D stock, Martin Marietta A1 upper, with Colt 1/12 pencil barrel and a three prong. I want to get a type E trapdoor. All other parts are A1 except LPK.

I am a retro guy. I have an A2 lower with a type D stock, Martin Marietta A1 upper, with Colt 1/12 pencil barrel and a three prong. I want to get a type E trapdoor. All other parts are A1 except LPK.

Holy crap. Intrigued by the upper, and was that barrel new?

Do you really need the 3-prong? A1s had bird cage, and the A2 comp looks the same but keeps it on target very well.

I have one. Mostly colt parts. The stripped lower is psa though. God forbid it said colt on it

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1418523084.434487.jpg

Is that yours in your sig? If so, looks nice. Looks like the ones we had in OSUT. But it looks like it has bayo lug, I don't know how it works but I see a shiny part on the tip and maybe that made it OK.

Holy crap. Intrigued by the upper, and was that barrel new?

Do you really need the 3-prong? A1s had bird cage, and the A2 comp looks the same but keeps it on target very well.

Barrel was used and I got it with the furniture. 3-prong was included with it and I kind of like the look of it anyway. I didn't go for a specific AR to clone (603, 604, etc) so I wasn't too concerned with what is and isn't right. I have an A2 grip anyway. The stripped upper I bought from AR15.com because it was available and I was told by multiple sources that all of the Martin uppers were post-Vietnam replacement parts that mostly sat unused. 

I used Brownells Alumahyde on the lower, but it turned out too dark. If I am ever ambitious I will get a Nodak lower or have both the current upper and lower anodized.

20130921_003343_zps499c5398.jpg

If you want a correct looking rifle you will need to use a Nodak lower with original lpk or refinished lpk. The problem is the lowers don't come up forsale often or you have to wait a year or more to get from Nodak.There also is not much out there to replace the 3 prong flash hider except the 3 prong muzzle brakes a few individuals made.

302, that is awesome! 3 prong is fine, I brought it up for practical purposes. The A2 comp (NJ/ATF "flash hider") is the most effective authentic comp and it looks like the A1 birdcage style. That's why I put it on mine. I would like to build/buy a semi-A1 so I am a little less worried about banging it around. Unfortunately it is not high on my list. Maybe next year.

Is that yours in your sig? If so, looks nice. Looks like the ones we had in OSUT. But it looks like it has bayo lug, I don't know how it works but I see a shiny part on the tip and maybe that made it OK.

Yes that's mine. The ears have been shaved off. Still has original appearance but the bayonet can't lock into place

Some younger guys might not understand, this is what we saw on TV and in all the movies growing up.

At OSUT they gave us A2s for initial familiarization and BRM. But there weren't many to go around, so once ARM started we were issued A1s for the rest of the cycle. Everybody went bananas. They were light, cool looking, and the selector switch didn't stop at "3" :D

awesome....I have an early 604 upper complete with early bcg and fat head pin (that upper is worth more than my colt socom) and all the correct era parts for a lower build except the lower of course due to 'AR-15' bs, a e2 clone with all colt parts except for the lower. 

I have another 1/12 barrel from green mountain I was gonna use on a retro look a like but will probably not build another.

I've seriously considered getting on the nodak spud backorder and getting one of the of these kits. http://www.gunthings.com/ar15.htm

from what i've read the a1 kits came from saudi arabia and were hardly used.  its another one of those things that the longer i wait the harder and more expensive it will be to find it.  

the problem is, i just kinda prefer an A2.  too bad those colt dissipator A2 uppers are sold out. 

I've seriously considered getting on the nodak spud backorder and getting one of the of these kits. http://www.gunthings.com/ar15.htm

from what i've read the a1 kits came from saudi arabia and were hardly used.  its another one of those things that the longer i wait the harder and more expensive it will be to find it.  

the problem is, i just kinda prefer an A2.  too bad those colt dissipator A2 uppers are sold out. 

real nice....all you would need is a lower and barrel....I would do it